1 days notice

Good Afternoon

I’m New

Can anyone help? I’ve signed up with an agency called Driver Hire (a week ago)

So far they have found me 2 jobs told me about the first one a day in advance and would let me know what time I was working in the morning■■? But nothing came from it!

the second I was told on friday that I’d be working on tuesday. I like this plenty of time and no surprises, but I have to wait until Monday to find out what time I’m in?!

Is this normal for agency work■■?

Joe

Yes.

All my drivers are full-time and we rarely tell them what they are doing until about 16.00 the day before, the job changes right up until the last minute.

of course some jobs are the same day in and day out, depends what you like.

With agency, especially as a newbie, you kind of have to take what they give you until you get some work under your belt - just think of it as a learning curve until you have the experience to get a full time job.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Yes,normally with agencies a firm using them will cover what they can with their own drivers first then whatever is left they will decided what and how many agency drivers they need in for the next day.

Driver Hire was the first agency I went to after passing my class 2. They were about as useful as a chocolate tea pot.

The agency I work for generally let me know around 10 am the day before. This has been known to change during the course of the day but not very often. Also I’ve been working for them just over 3 months now and there’s has only been about 5 days in that time that they haven’t had work for me.

Thanks Guys

It’s nice to know this is unfortunately normal a normal pratcise

Also nice to know that the other drivers I spoke to on the Hiab course may have been right about Driver hire:lol:

There are usually lots of occasions when you get a call at 2-3 am ask you to go to x company at usually and hrs notice alot of agencies do work like this

As I’ve come to expect from Driver hire…

I am now not working tomorrow! After being told on Friday that I was working on Tuesday

on a different subject. can you sign onto more than 1 agency at a time?

joe.ford:
As I’ve come to expect from Driver hire…

I am now not working tomorrow! After being told on Friday that I was working on Tuesday

on a different subject. can you sign onto more than 1 agency at a time?

Yes your free to sign on as many as exist!

Don’t bother with agencies. I would get your skates on and go hit the estates. Go for a permantent job, maybe be less money but its regular money.

your an adhoc driver ,

your lucky to get notice.

as for the call that says" Tom Next Thursday 04;00 at webbs going to xyz " dream on because on Wednesday you’ll be cancelled for an experienced driver that’s been there and worked for the agency for years .

take the short notice work get your feet in then find th work you like’

OH and ask for the rates and rate changes before you take the job its no good stamping your feet after you’ve done the job and you find out you did a 15 hr shift for £85

Endgame:
Driver Hire was the first agency I went to after passing my class 2. They were about as useful as a chocolate tea pot.

Your not wrong

I called up another place yesterday, today I was out on a taster day being a drivers mate.

Apparently I work for the agency for 3 months, and then I’m taken on as a full time driver for the company

joe.ford:

Endgame:

Your not wrong

I called up another place yesterday, today I was out on a taster day being a drivers mate.

Apparently I work for the agency for 3 months, and then I’m taken on as a full time driver for the company

They just don’t have a clue don’t Driver Hire. Granted, they got me a job the very same day I went in, but they either lied or genuinely didn’t have a clue about what I was meant to be getting paid, they told me I would have some training - I didn’t, and they told me to get to the place I was working for 10, when I didn’t need to be in until 11.30. THEN when I did get back, it took them about 45 minutes to establish which agency had sent me and had to wait about for an agency worker to get back to them because they hadn’t forwarded my details through. I.E licence, CPC and digi photocopies. Just a complete breakdown in communication.

I have, however, had a decent experience with a decent agency called “Taskmaster”. They’re in Wigan. Good communication and they look after their drivers. I’ve done a few jobs inbetween stuff for Taskmaster - can’t fault them at all. I’m not sure where you’re based, but I’m in Liverpool and they were well worth the trip over there to sign up with. Once that was done all the work they found me was closer to home. Weekly pay, decent wages, plenty of notice for jobs, etc.

If the place you’re at now doesn’t pan out, Google them, see where they are in relation to where you live and give them a shout.

Good luck!

i understand Driver Hire is a franchise, so our experience may differ significantly from office to office. Those who blame Drive Hire - can you please name the branches as would definitely help?

cheers

The branch I was talking about is the Liverpool/Ellesmere Port branch.

Priest:
i understand Driver Hire is a franchise, so our experience may differ significantly from office to office. Those who blame Drive Hire - can you please name the branches as would definitely help?

cheers

Colchester

cheers,

i will probably visit their Chelmsford branch at some point so it’s good to know your experience

Endgame:

I work for several branches of Driver Hire. They are all separate businesses (each franchise covers a different postal area); their management and rates differ from branch to branch. Some of them are useless, some of them are mediocre, some of them are great. The only thing in common is the umbrella company through which the wages are paid (which is another separate company).

Hm, I signed up to my local Driver Hire (Derby, but their office is in Alfreton) for ad hoc/part time van work. Not heard anything yet. Will let you know what my experience is like if I actually get anything.

joe.ford:
Good Afternoon

I’m New

Can anyone help? I’ve signed up with an agency called Driver Hire (a week ago)

So far they have found me 2 jobs told me about the first one a day in advance and would let me know what time I was working in the morning■■? But nothing came from it!

the second I was told on friday that I’d be working on tuesday. I like this plenty of time and no surprises, but I have to wait until Monday to find out what time I’m in?!

Is this normal for agency work■■?

Joe

If you have to work for any agency expect every lie under the sun.also if they tell you you have to go through a umbrella company to get paid tell them NO and you will only work paye…