05 renAULT PREMIUM ENGINE NOISE

ive just got a renault premium on an 05 plate with only 300,000k on it, it is not mine, I have just got it for a while. Can’t believe how noisy the engines are in these, a real rattle from the front end and sort of clatter noise. Are these engines normally noisey? Is there anything to watch out for with these or common problems? Got to say it is gutless as well although not too bad on fuel. I know the steps rattle but it is not that. Any ideas?

The 370 dci I had sounded like a bag of nails on tick over but sounded nice when pulling. they breathe heavy aswell. I dont think I’d buy another in a hurry as it was crap on fuel.

In my experience of the Premium,the only noise I have heard,is from the turbo winding up/down,and you’ve already sussed the infamous step rattle.(2 lock nuts and some Loctite should cure that.)

What is the engine size on it?

Ken.

Hi, i had a 2000 “400” didn’t have a lot of engine problems but had the usual steps,its also worth checking the clips that hold the headlights stable,they are "u"shaped fitted behind the lights apart from the normal things like pads,filters as such no other probs,hope this helps,mine was never called gutless tho som 385 were quicker

its a 420 dci, the noise is like a clatter ,

When I had my 420 DCi, (53 plate,I got it brand new.) the clatter that you describe,was only present when setting off.Once the revs got up,it went.

Ken.

did you find out what it was

I think it was just the design of the engine,and the vehicle was still going strong when I left that particular place.

Ken.