Lane Hogging

On my return from Newhaven northbound via M25 last night in the small hours I was intrigued that on the 4 lane sections cars only appear to use lanes 3 or 4 even at 60 mph.A handful use lane 2 and none use lane 1 no matter how dense or not the traffic level was.
This is supposed to be an offence isn’t it? Police cars seen on the 260 mile trip? Er…none.

Stop at any MSA. You will see the police cars.
Usually close to a coffee machine.

There are now cameras which can detect the problem like speed.

What bugs and annoys me (although it should’nt as it’s ■■■■ all to do with me what other drivers do) is trucks that sit in the middle lane for no reason.
Wtf is that all about exactly??.. it’s a new phenomenon that we once never used to see.
It was always drummed into us at training school level…’ Always keep left unless overtaking’’ (but we all see everyday how the lowering of standards and dumbing down of truck training schools is blindingly evident these days.)

The irony the other day,.a rigid passed me with the co. name ‘‘Austin’’ something or other as a logo, with a slogan beside the name saying…‘‘It is foolish to undertake on the left’’ (they could have worded it better btw)
It was on the 4 Lane s/b stretch of the M6 in the Midlands, and he continually hogged lane 2, esentially turning it back into a 3 lane motorway, to the point he had a line of trucks behind him, and another line of trucks overtaking in lane 3…which was actively encouraging cars and a couple of trucks to undertake him on the left.
■■■■ clueless. :unamused:

robroy:
What bugs and annoys me (although it should’nt as it’s [zb] all to do with me what other drivers do) is trucks that sit in the middle lane for no reason.
Wtf is that all about exactly??.. it’s a new phenomenon that we once never used to see.
It was always drummed into us at training school level…’ Always keep left unless overtaking’’ (but we all see everyday how the lowering of standards and dumbing down of truck training schools is blindingly evident these days.)

The irony the other day,.a rigid passed me with the co. name ‘‘Austin’’ something or other as a logo, with a slogan beside the name saying…‘‘It is foolish to undertake on the left’’ (they could have worded it better btw)
It was on the 4 Lane s/b stretch of the M6 in the Midlands, and he continually hogged lane 2, esentially turning it back into a 3 lane motorway, to the point he had a line of trucks behind him, and another line of trucks overtaking in lane 3…which was actively encouraging cars and a couple of trucks to undertake him on the left.
[zb] clueless. :unamused:

Trucks shouldn’t be allowed to use lanes 3 and 4 of a 4 lane motorway.
The reason why lane 1 is now effectively a no go area is because of car and truck drivers wanting to drive on a motorway at 40 - 50mph.
Meaning that you’ll inevitably continuously have to keep reducing your speed to that level or less to maintain seperation distance with the lose lose that you can’t then make a safe merge lane change into faster traffic in lane 2.Realistically it needs to be a virtually empty motorway to make the use of lane 1 viable at least for cars with such amounts of dawdling muppets littering it.

Carryfast:
There are now cameras which can detect the problem like speed.

Thanks for that Carryfast, I was wondering why I kept having to go on speed awareness courses

Pass them on the nearside (not illegal to do so) = issue solved :smiley:

Carryfast:

Yet…

They can use lanes 3 and 4 of a dual carriageway.

ROG:

This is…

The correct answer. The thread should be closed now.

yourhavingalarf:

ROG:

This is…

The correct answer. The thread should be closed now.

Not according to rule 163 of the HC.Thats not to say that I’ve never run out of patience and gone for it.But it’s in the knowledge that if they then return to the left all bets are off.
Also bearing in mind that overtaking in lane 2 or 3 with a 3 mph speed differential to adhere to the speed limit isn’t lane hogging just because the muppet behind wants to do 85-90 mph possibly because they don’t have a licence to lose.

[quote

Carryfast:

They ain’t allowed to use lane 4, it’s the same as lane 3 on a 3 lane motorway.

robroy:
[quote

Carryfast:

They ain’t allowed to use lane 4, it’s the same as lane 3 on a 3 lane motorway.

I know that but I meant both lanes 3 and 4 not just 4.It’s just silly when there’s one in lane 1 doing 48 mph one in lane 2 doing 52 mph and one in lane 3 doing 55 mph.
Something needs to be done about the ridiculous, unecessary, dawdling in lane 1 of motorways.

ROG:

I should have said in my original post that I was driving my car.
Regarding the above quote I would say that 99% of the lane hoggers will speed up as you ease alongside.

Don’t worry boys. It’s the same over here. There’re always the cretins that want lane 2 of 3 but only do 90Km/h when the limit’s 100. Once you manage to get past, *you have a nice clear road in front of you of but look in the mirror and see what amounts to a mobile traffic jam.

• Until the next ■■■■■■■■■

Just a reminder lane hogging is anywere with two or more lanes

Amount of times on 30/40mph roads cars on o/s Lane not turning right or over taking just hogging the lane they think it’s not a motorway so it’s ok

adam277:
Stop at any MSA. You will see the police cars.
Usually close to a coffee machine.

Coppers not allowed a tea break?

TruckDriverBen:
Just a reminder lane hogging is anywere with two or more lanes

Amount of times on 30/40mph roads cars on o/s Lane not turning right or over taking just hogging the lane they think it’s not a motorway so it’s ok

Like motorways the problem is more that of dawdlers wanting to drive at less than 30 or 40 respectively forcing an overtake which takes forever and a day with a 5 mph or less differential staying within the speed limit.
Often that limit having been reduced from what was previously 70 mph.
Also bearing in mind that the extra lanes are now often all about adding road traffic capacity within the speed limit.Not facilitating faster overtakes if overtaking at all.
No surprise get a US type speed regime get US type lane discipline.

Surprised at ROG comment you need to add a bit more meat on the bone. Former Grade A ADI

miketdt:
Surprised at ROG comment you need to add a bit more meat on the bone. Former Grade A ADI

Not denying that undertaking happens or get stuck for miles behind the rolling road block.
But the HC is clear and specific about the limited specific situations where overtaking on the left is legal.Passing traffic turning right or when moving in queues.
Lane hogging hoping for an illegal undertake can also be a typical crash for cash scammer tactic.

miketdt:

If you start from the nearside and finish in the nearside, then passing traffic on your right-hand side is just “traffic moving slowly in queues” and not illegal.

HC rule 163 “stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left.”

(Slowly is not defined, I would consider 55mph pretty slow on a motorway)