Lane Hogging

stu675:

miketdt:
Surprised at ROG comment you need to add a bit more meat on the bone. Former Grade A ADI

If you start from the nearside and finish in the nearside, then passing traffic on your right-hand side is just “traffic moving slowly in queues” and not illegal.

HC rule 163 “stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left.”

(Slowly is not defined, I would consider 55mph pretty slow on a motorway)

The seperation distance required at 55mph deffo won’t fit the definition of a queue in either lane.Also bearing in mind that if the queue rule applies then by definition the lane hogging issue obviously doesn’t and can’t apply either.

Seems to me that a long(ish) line of traffic, in lane 2 of 3, behind a lane hogger, is by definition a Q.
Travelling along the M way in lane 1, you come up behind a Q of vehicles in lane 2.
As you are travelling quicker than lane 2, you continue on in lane 1, passing the Q on the inside.

Seems perfectly legal to me :smiley:

ive run up m40 in my car on sunday nights about 10pm ish.set limiter to 70 for trip home and sit there in first lane and just under take them doing 55 60 in middle lane soem do pull over intofirst lane but most just sit there most of time.think they half alseep most of time.

Now you know the reason for "smart " motorways .
As the plebs dont / won’t use lane one why not push the trucks on to the hard shoulder and its gives the plebs another lane to run in .

A1 donny bypass is rife with it. All the wombles are hogging lane 2 then theres me limited to 53 undertaking the lot of them in lane 1 [emoji23][emoji23] anyway i think they should get shot of the limiters on trucks. We are ment to be professional drivers so if you’re bombing it down the m1 at 90 and jackknife resulting in deaths of other road users you deserve the book thrown at you. Would cut out all this elephant racing malarky too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark1284:
A1 donny bypass is rife with it. All the wombles are hogging lane 2 then theres me limited to 53 undertaking the lot of them in lane 1 [emoji23][emoji23] anyway i think they should get shot of the limiters on trucks. We are ment to be professional drivers so if you’re bombing it down the m1 at 90 and jackknife resulting in deaths of other road users you deserve the book thrown at you. Would cut out all this elephant racing malarky too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or better to keep the limiters, and actually prevent those potential road deaths in the first place,.(and that s from somebody who remembers pre limiter days btw.)

As for all being '‘professional drivers’ in the context of ability , and professionalISM
errrr
No. :neutral_face:

robroy:
What bugs and annoys me (although it should’nt as it’s [zb] all to do with me what other drivers do) is trucks that sit in the middle lane for no reason.
Wtf is that all about exactly??.. it’s a new phenomenon that we once never used to see.
It was always drummed into us at training school level…’ Always keep left unless overtaking’’ (but we all see everyday how the lowering of standards and dumbing down of truck training schools is blindingly evident these days.)

The irony the other day,.a rigid passed me with the co. name ‘‘Austin’’ something or other as a logo, with a slogan beside the name saying…‘‘It is foolish to undertake on the left’’ (they could have worded it better btw)
It was on the 4 Lane s/b stretch of the M6 in the Midlands, and he continually hogged lane 2, esentially turning it back into a 3 lane motorway, to the point he had a line of trucks behind him, and another line of trucks overtaking in lane 3…which was actively encouraging cars and a couple of trucks to undertake him on the left.
[zb] clueless. :unamused:

I think he wanted to avoid being boxed in on a dedicated lane for the m5.Sounds like.Its a problem I have lately,especially on the m1 where 4 lanes become 3 and the idiot in lane 2 wont let you in.Last week this BMW wouldnt let me in and I was foeced to come off at the a421 roundabout and rejoin the m1

Sploom:

robroy:
What bugs and annoys me (although it should’nt as it’s [zb] all to do with me what other drivers do) is trucks that sit in the middle lane for no reason.
Wtf is that all about exactly??.. it’s a new phenomenon that we once never used to see.
It was always drummed into us at training school level…’ Always keep left unless overtaking’’ (but we all see everyday how the lowering of standards and dumbing down of truck training schools is blindingly evident these days.)

The irony the other day,.a rigid passed me with the co. name ‘‘Austin’’ something or other as a logo, with a slogan beside the name saying…‘‘It is foolish to undertake on the left’’ (they could have worded it better btw)
It was on the 4 Lane s/b stretch of the M6 in the Midlands, and he continually hogged lane 2, esentially turning it back into a 3 lane motorway, to the point he had a line of trucks behind him, and another line of trucks overtaking in lane 3…which was actively encouraging cars and a couple of trucks to undertake him on the left.

I think he wanted to avoid being boxed in on a dedicated lane for the m5.Sounds like.Its a problem I have lately,especially on the m1 where 4 lanes become 3 and the idiot in lane 2 wont let you in.Last week this BMW wouldnt let me in and I was foeced to come off at the a421 roundabout and rejoin the m1

Nah the 4 lane section starts around j12 is it?, miles before the M5 split.

In your case,.I’m not advocating or condoning bullying tactics, call it a ‘professional foul’, :smiley: …start to pull out (or make it look like your’e pulling out) making him think you aint seen him…as long as he isn’t being overtaken himself in lane 3 of course.
Problem is some of them are sooo ■■■■ thick,.nothing will move them out of their lane, they stick to it like sh to a blanket.

Oh,ok,I see where you mean now.But this BMW could easily move over but wouldnt.He matched my speed hanging on level with the tri axle on my trailer.complete ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ the lanes began to slpit and I would have had to go across the white hatchings in order to get back in the correct lane.
I think its a bad idea on me m1 having 4 lanes for a fairly short distance go back into 3.If you go south just past toddington,you need to get in lane 2 in good time to avoid being boxed in,if a lorry is overtaking you,you have to slow right down and if youve got some idiot behind the lorry,you run out of road and might end up having to use the hard shoulder

Carryfast:
But the HC is clear and specific about the limited specific situations where overtaking on the left is legal.Passing traffic turning right or when moving in queues.

Define “queues” though…

Sploom:
He matched my speed hanging on level with the tri axle on my trailer.complete [zb].

If it looks quacks and flies like a crash for cash scammer.

Shandy123:

Carryfast:
But the HC is clear and specific about the limited specific situations where overtaking on the left is legal.Passing traffic turning right or when moving in queues.

Define “queues” though…

Firstly obviously mutually exclusive in terms of lane hogging.
To the point where signs can say queues or queues ahead stay in lane.
Also don’t think a lane hogger causing a ‘queue’, running at 50 mph +, in one specific lane of traffic, will cut it if an undertaking move then goes wrong.Bearing in mind the potential for not only the possible crash for cash scammer to then return to the left but also anyone of the vehicles in the ’ queue’ behind it using the same idea or just deciding to give up or taking the next exit.
As I said sometimes I might lose patience with these muppets but it’s in the knowledge that if an undertake goes wrong the undertaker will generally be apportioned with some or all of the blame and it’s also very likely to be a crash for cash scam tactic hoping to bait their mark into exactly that situation.
My observations suggest that problem is being massively under estimated and under reported.

I dunno mate, a car playing crash for cash with an artic is a big risk for them!?

Carryfast:

robroy:

Trucks shouldn’t be allowed to use lanes 3 and 4 of a 4 lane motorway.
The reason why lane 1 is now effectively a no go area is because of car and truck drivers wanting to drive on a motorway at 40 - 50mph.
Meaning that you’ll inevitably continuously have to keep reducing your speed to that level or less to maintain seperation distance with the lose lose that you can’t then make a safe merge lane change into faster traffic in lane 2.Realistically it needs to be a virtually empty motorway to make the use of lane 1 viable at least for cars with such amounts of dawdling muppets littering it.

You cant use lane 4 of a four lane motorway (Irish excepted of course) unless it is effectively two motorways running alongside with separate lanes for differing destinations.