metro.co.uk/2021/10/25/prisoner … -15485659/

tiktok.com/@lennieboy17laur … copy_url=0

youtube.com/watch?v=r8eT7-UWsj8

adam277:
For more context.
metro.co.uk/2021/10/25/prisoner … -15485659/

tiktok.com/@lennieboy17laur … copy_url=0

youtube.com/watch?v=r8eT7-UWsj8

The government, RHA and employers are exploring every avenue, apart from, pay and terms and conditions. If you’ve had a pay rise I bet your terms and conditions haven’t changed. The transport sector is a cesspit that needs radically overhauling. I’m not a massive fan of unions but unless “collective bargaining” and “representation” become more commonplace, the industry will never become a vocation of choice for anybody wishing to enjoy a decent work life balance.

There are at least a few people on these boards with “a bit of form”, I’ve certainly responded to more than one of them recently regarding how to check if their convictions are spent. It’s worth remembering that just because someone has a record that they’re not “all the same”, and not necessarily unpleasant or untrustworthy people: sometimes people just make mistakes.

I worked with a lad for several years after he’d gotten a seven year sentence for drugs, he was definitely a lot more pleasant and trustworthy than some other people at that firm who did not have his documented history.

I don’t see how the government can promote HGV driving as a skilled profession while letting inmates behind the wheel and giving completely free funding to the lifers at the job center who just don’t want to work.
There making it seem like a fruit picker type job just desperate to get anyone doing it.

Also why would anyone want to pay for their training now?

Zac_A:
There are at least a few people on these boards with “a bit of form”, I’ve certainly responded to more than one of them recently regarding how to check if their convictions are spent. It’s worth remembering that just because someone has a record that they’re not “all the same”, and not necessarily unpleasant or untrustworthy people: sometimes people just make mistakes.

I worked with a lad for several years after he’d gotten a seven year sentence for drugs, he was definitely a lot more pleasant and trustworthy than some other people at that firm who did not have his documented history.

As an ex offender (with 2 degrees btw) I can concur with this sentiment. There is a huge difference between employing ex offenders and offenders currently serving a custodial sentence.

It must also be said that offenders currently carry out paid employment through the ROTL (release on temporary license) project. So the work element already exists.

TBH I have no problem with this an ex offender who comes out and goes into work is far less likley to reoffend perhaps a system could be put in place where they contribute to the cost of their licence through their tax code a bit like a student loan and as people have pointed the haulage industry is not exactly reknown for employing saints

As long as they are not ■■■ offenders or violent criminals I can’t see the problem of giving them a chance.

Dimlaith:
As long as they are not ■■■ offenders or violent criminals I can’t see the problem of giving them a chance.

If they have served there sentence, should it matter? The whole reason you have a sentence is to serve it. Surely that’s where the rehabilitation comes into it?

I’m a bit worried about the prisoners human rights and the infringement of their civil liberties tbh. Imagine the shock to their systems if they move from the relative freedom of prison to having to spend hour upon hour cooped up in a drivers waiting room furnished with uncomfortable plastic chairs and empty vending machines being forced to listen to Homes under the Hammer and Bogdan shouting in paperclip at the person on the other end of his Bluetooth earpiece!

It’s inhumane I tell ya.

I agree that people should be given a second chance and the opportunity to work and not reoffend.
Wonder if we will see the dover Calais route stocked with drivers convicted of people trafficking though!! Hope not…

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk

the maoster:
I’m a bit worried about the prisoners human rights and the infringement of their civil liberties tbh. Imagine the shock to their systems if they move from the relative freedom of prison to having to spend hour upon hour cooped up in a drivers waiting room furnished with uncomfortable plastic chairs and empty vending machines being forced to listen to Homes under the Hammer and Bogdan shouting in paperclip at the person on the other end of his Bluetooth earpiece!

It’s inhumane I tell ya.

Most of them have had 23 hour banged up over the last 18 months so I’m sure having to eat in a crap service station really won’t bother them too much hahahaha

mburt 80:

the maoster:

It’s inhumane I tell ya.

Most of them have had 23 hour banged up over the last 18 months so I’m sure having to eat in a crap service station really won’t bother them too much hahahaha

Woooosh.
Btw you say you have 2 degrees, errrr not sure why you feel the need to tell us that, or what relavance to the thread it has,…but congratulations anyway. :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

IFor the record I have 2 singles from the 70s of the THREE degrees :sunglasses: ,.so I’m well qualified to drive this truck. :smiley:

robroy:

mburt 80:

the maoster:

It’s inhumane I tell ya.

Woooosh.
Btw you say you have 2 degrees, errrr not sure why you feel the need to tell us that, or what relavance to the thread it has,…but congratulations anyway. :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

IFor the record I have 2 singles from the 70s of the THREE degrees :sunglasses: ,.so I’m well qualified to drive this truck. :smiley:

It was only mentioned as previous posts had inferred that prisoners in the haulage industry will reduce the skill levels in the industry. Just because they are an ‘inmate’, does not mean they are not educated and competent to carry out the job - given the same amount of training ‘normal’ people are given … that was the only point lol.

I’m glad you have some three degrees singles…I have fond memories of “when will I see you again”.

Or was that just a witty quip?

^^^^^^^^^
At least you got it this time. :smiley:

robroy:
^^^^^^^^^
At least you got it this time. :smiley:

I did mate yes lol :slight_smile:

As long as they are trying to get their lives back on track, and as long as they don’t lapse back into their old ways of being light fingered.(especially if one of em is driving ‘my’ truck :smiley: ) why not.
Not sure how I would feel working with pond life such as paedophiles though, but that is at the extreme of things.
Tbh I 'd prefer an ex con to an ex copper who usually in my experience still think they are above the rest of us (can’t think why btw :unamused: ) can’t put my finger on it, but you just know.

Case in point that clown on here who informed us that he was ‘‘shamed to tell people he was now a driver’’,.and who felt the need to tell us he lived in a 10 bedroom mansion. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

robroy:

mburt 80:

the maoster:

It’s inhumane I tell ya.

Woooosh.

I seem to remember a picture of you wearing a Sheila Ferguson wig too?

Cheek !
That was my real hair. :smiley:

robroy:
Cheek !
That was my real hair. :smiley:

Of course!