Stonehenge tunnel shelved

Campaigners got their way in the High Court , seeing that nobody lives near the pile of stones , how does it affect archeology Nimbies worried about disturbing some ancient burial graves / grounds or humps in the grass ?
I bet they will be the first moaning if stuck in jams on the A303 thus increasing pollution and rat running in local villages to avoid the queues .

It was always a ridiculously expensive idea. Far cheaper would be to erect 1000 yards of six feet high fencing to stop the grockles slowing down to gawp at the stones. You rarely get queues when it’s dark!

Good news, way more important ‘tweaks’ needed than this lunatic folly. Maybe deal with the hideous choke point connecting the A43 to A34 would get my vote. I’m sure there’s other more pressing projects. :open_mouth:

A complete waste of money anyway.
They should spend it on buying the m6 toll

Have you seen the skid marks on the road by the stones, that’s foreign tourists who stop in the live lane and six Chinese or Japanese get out the car to take photos?

I could never work out why they built Stonehenge so close to the A303 in the first place.

Could at least of put a roof and some windows on it too. Druids, you just can’t rely on them to do a proper job.

Tarmaceater:
Have you seen the skid marks on the road by the stones, that’s foreign tourists who stop in the live lane and six Chinese or Japanese get out the car to take photos?

A line of stout oaks alongside would put pay to that. The road clearly needs an improvement, but it has to be said Wiltshire, especially Salisbury is suffering from terrible over-‘development’ lately and ploughing through Paleolithic barrows is just not on. On any level. Salutations to the objectors.

Tarmaceater:
Campaigners got their way in the High Court , seeing that nobody lives near the pile of stones , how does it affect archeology Nimbies worried about disturbing some ancient burial graves / grounds or humps in the grass ?
I bet they will be the first moaning if stuck in jams on the A303 thus increasing pollution and rat running in local villages to avoid the queues .

The lie of the land - has already been altered so you can hardly glimpse stonehenge from the A303 like you used to…
That side road - has been inked in completely as well.

You have the classic tourist trap now of having to take a special link bus the last few hundred yards, so maximum collect is made from the hapless tourists who now have to be practically on top of the site - before they even see it…

Thus, the tunnel planned - isn’t required any more. Obsolete before it was ever built.

You cannot see Stonehenge clearly and up-close unless you pay. It is no longer a distraction for passing drivers… The land to the right of the A303 has been raised just by a few feet with spillout soil - so even passing in an artic - just has you glimpsing the tops of the major stones… No footpath on the road, no dualling required. Almost an “MOD - KEEP MOVING” format.

Other solutions are available.
Longer tunnel, or various bypass routes, including ones that would give some relief to Salisbury traffic as well.

I concur with Salisbury, why did they get rid of the dual carriageway in both directions from the college then by the retail outlets as now it’s a single carriageway with all the queuing if you hit it at the wrong time ?

Tarmaceater:
I concur with Salisbury, why did they get rid of the dual carriageway in both directions from the college then by the retail outlets as now it’s a single carriageway with all the queuing if you hit it at the wrong time ?

New retail park? Narrow the main road leading to it??
Welcome to the wonderful world of road planning.

The current Salisbury inner ring road (Churchill Way) was proposed in the 1960`s, and then built…as a temporary measure…until a full bypass was built. Still waiting.

Nearly every village, town and city in France has a bypass or ring road , some of us may remember the ADR lorries who refused to give way in a narrow part in a French village many years ago and the result wasn’t a pretty site .
In the UK all traffic is through the middle of most towns .

Tarmaceater:

No surely…

Not.

Winchester M3
Marlborough M4
Newbury A34/M4
Oxford A34/M40
Bristol M4/M5
Birmingham M6 Toll Road
London M25
Canterbury M2
Sheffield M1
Doncaster A1M/M18
Edinburgh A720

The list is endless.

the maoster:
It was always a ridiculously expensive idea. Far cheaper would be to erect 1000 yards of six feet high fencing to stop the grockles slowing down to gawp at the stones. You rarely get queues when it’s dark!

Yep funny how you can come off the long barrow roundabout at a good lick then grind to a near halt when the rubble comes in to view [emoji49][emoji49]

Sent while from gods know where

Tarmaceater:
Nearly every village, town and city in France has a bypass or ring road , some of us may remember the ADR lorries who refused to give way in a narrow part in a French village many years ago and the result wasn’t a pretty site .

My town has a bypass. So do both villages either side of it, sorry make that three villages - forgot Little Driffield where they re-routed the Driffield to York traffic from the bypass when they built it so it no longer went through the village. I can think of lots of places that are now bypassed which weren’t when I started driving 20 odd years ago. The funny part for some of it is how some of those who lobbied for bypasses saw their town centres die when the bypass opened due to the massive drop off in through traffic and the obligatory shiny new Tesco and out of town shopping that opened on said bypass.

Tarmaceater:

I think the second lane of said dual carriageway - was just high enough to peer over the top, and see the stones… Remove one lane, and hump-up the land, and hey presto - you’ve turned it into a tourist trap, made the road rather more dangerous in it’s new single lane format (just as busy as before though…) and you can’t even have cars and light traffic venting off down that side road any longer.

Another example of re-laying the main road is The A2 stretch between Pepper Hill and Nell’s Cafe - This was dealt with in a rather better way, which must have increased the house prices of those living in that road in singlewell alongside the former dual carriageway, nothing more than a humped green rampart of land now, whilst the replacement dual carraigeway is now a couple of hundred yards to the south, near the HS1 line…

And again, seemingly ignoring rules it thinks don’t apply to itself, or it’s buddies.
bbc.com/news/uk-england-wiltshire-58092117
What set of rules/laws/promises are next to ignored I wonder?

Cannot see how anyone could get so worked up over a few stones, They have been there for hundreds of years now so everything has been documented and photographed and still no one is none the wiser to what they are. Just knock them down and move them to a Museum or put them up as they were elsewhere. They are not exactly like the pyramids or have any historical importance.

Yorkshire Tramper:
Cannot see how anyone could get so worked up over a few stones, They have been there for hundreds of years now so everything has been documented and photographed and still no one is none the wiser to what they are. Just knock them down and move them to a Museum or put them up as they were elsewhere. They are not exactly like the pyramids or have any historical importance.

youtube.com/watch?v=Pyh1Va_mYWI