Fridge question

Where’s our resident fridge expert when you need him? :unamused: :smiley:

If this qualifies for the Top.10 Trucknet stupidest questions chart, you’ll need to forgive me. :blush: :smiley:

In hot weather does a cab fridge not perform as good as it should?
Does it take longer to get colder or what?
Does it need re.gassed or summet?

I have a DAF drawer fridge in my Merc, it worked fine until this week where the weather is unusually hot, not sure if that is why, and now the fridge is not frosting up, but there is still a ‘lining’ of cold water still keeping my food cool.
It went off a couple of times yesterday, but that was because (I think) a towel had fell down blocking the side grille, so it must have got too warm and cut out.
It is staying running ok now, but as I said not as cold as usual.
Anybody know?

(Not having a good week in the hot weather btw, my air con pump is ■■■■ ed also. :grimacing: :unamused:)

In my experience Rob, and it may or may not be applicable on your side of the rock, built in draw fridges as in Volvo ans Scania are not as efficient as Engel or Waeco chest fridges.
Is it a proper compressor fridge or one of those other electric plate type gizmos?
A compressor type fridge will maintain the set temp regardless of ambient conditions.
The other, less efficient ones will lower the internal temperature X⁰ below ambient, so on warmer days the contents are warmer.

Bring back UKTramp , all is forgiven.

Star down under.:
In my experience Rob, and it may or may not be applicable on your side of the rock, built in draw fridges as in Volvo ans Scania are not as efficient as Engel or Waeco chest fridges.
Is it a proper compressor fridge or one of those other electric plate type gizmos?
A compressor type fridge will maintain the set temp regardless of ambient conditions.
The other, less efficient ones will lower the internal temperature X⁰ below ambient, so on warmer days the contents are warmer.

It’s a drawer type standard DAF fridge,.whether that is a ‘compressor’ type…ain’t got a scooby mate. :smiley:

robroy:
Where’s our resident fridge expert when you need him? :unamused: :smiley:

If this qualifies for the Top.10 Trucknet stupidest questions chart, you’ll need to forgive me. :blush: :smiley:

In hot weather does a cab fridge not perform as good as it should?
Does it take longer to get colder or what?
Does it need re.gassed or summet?

They can only reduce the temperature by a certain maximum amount from the ambient temperature because they rely on being able to transfer heat out of the compartment into the outside air via the metal plates and fins on the outside. So for example they may reduce the temperature by a max of 20C which means that when it’s 20C in your cab or lower it’ll reach 0C but when it’s 30C in your cab it’ll only reach 10C.

Mine has been similar, with no frost on the inside roof of the fridge, but turned the thermostat to colder than normal, and I`ve been leaving the bunk propped up slightly during the day, to let a little more air circulate around the tubes at the back of the fridge.

Ok thanks.
So the temp in the cab caused by lack of air con won’t be helping the situation then by the sounds of it.

I was listening to the radio the other day. They were on about portable air-conditioning units and they had some expert guy on (might have been UKTramp, probably not). Anyway, apparently they work in the same way as fridges, but they do need to have a pipe somewhat like a tumble dryer going out the window to extract the hot air (if only we had a similar device for this forum). Anyway, extraction of the hot air seems to be key. Perhaps there just isn’t the same ability to extract the hot air when the ambient temperature is higher, especially in a location such as a cab in summer. Solution might be to get more air circulation around the fridge or checking for any blockages where the hot air comes from.

robroy:
Ok thanks.
So the temp in the cab caused by lack of air con won’t be helping the situation then by the sounds of it.

No. As our Aussie poster said though a compressor one would solve the problem if you can find one. That’s because they have the refrigerant liquid in which is much more efficient at transferring heat away from the food compartment than just metal plates and air on their own.

As the Fridge driver hasn’t responded I will.
They do like lots of free flowing air around them to cool the compressor, In the DAF, they provide a modification to raise the bed by 2" to allow better air flow to the fan- compressor, without seeing your installation heard to say, but all about getting the heat displaced…

I hope the above makes a small amount of sense.

biggriffin:
As the Fridge driver hasn’t responded I will…

I haven’t responded because I’m still experiencing a warm glow at the thought of RR’s soggy salads and warm cans of pop, coupled to the fact that I’ve just parked up for the night and taken a nice can of Red Stripe from my Waeco and it has tiny bits of ice in it. Must turn it up a tad :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

When it gets hot in the summer in Europe I always have the bottom bunk up during the day.
We have IPark cool fitted for when parked but they take too much out of the batteries despite what Volvo claim.
In a morning when you lift the bottom bunk the heat generated by the fridge is unbelievable.
I’m surprised they haven’t come up with a better system by now.

the maoster:

biggriffin:
As the Fridge driver hasn’t responded I will…

I haven’t responded because I’m still experiencing a warm glow at the thought of RR’s soggy salads and warm cans of pop, coupled to the fact that I’ve just parked up for the night and taken a nice can of Red Stripe from my Waeco and it has tiny bits of ice in it. Must turn it up a tad :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I’ve got a Thermo- king for the beer

biggriffin:
I’ve got a Thermo- king for the beer

At…

-25 a case of 250ml stubbies will be chilled perfect for consumption in 1 hour and 27 minutes.

At +2 it’s 3 hours 43 minutes.

There’s a reason I know that. :smiley:

yourhavingalarf:
At…

-25 a case of 250ml stubbies will be chilled perfect for consumption in 1 hour and 27 minutes.

There’s a reason I know that. :smiley:

I know nuffink about chilled but I am impressed by your frozen fact. I’d have thought it would be much less time tbh. I’d be afraid of returning to a case of beer popsicles! :smiley:

the maoster:
I’d be afraid of returning to a case of beer popsicles! :smiley:

This was…

Our fear as well. We did a pre-freeze whilst we went shopping at the supermercado. Then popped the five cases in (they were 26.7 from the point of sale) and checked on them at 20 minute intervals.

Superb food and wine from a local restaurant as well as warm sunny Spanish weather over the weekend made it a good time.

I still have the same lazer temp probe to this day.

My Waeco CF18 has kept its cool :sunglasses:
No air con though in a 61 CF 18t :cry:
Rob try lifting the bunk in the day time

Checked my fridge before I popped out tonight,.and it’s deffo running colder now the day has got a bit cooler, so hoping it’s just a bit of a hiccup until hot weather cools…wishful thinking. :smiley: :unamused:
(I’ll probably go back to a burnt out shell later :unamused: :laughing: )

Anyhow thanks to all for the help and advice…(except for Maoster of course, hope he chokes on his ice cold Red Stripe. :wink: :laughing: )

Edit 2200pm got back to cab got some frost in there and a little bit of ice…so you can now all sleep soundly knowing that. :laughing: :unamused:

Went up to somerby tonight , had a quiche & salad , then 4 cool ciders , mate drove us , then a nice lie in the morning as don’t need to get up for work

I’m now in two minds whether to go out the dirty duck tomorrow night , doesn’t feel right while your suffering

dozy:
Went up to somerby tonight , had a quiche & salad , then 4 cool ciders , mate drove us , then a nice lie in the morning as don’t need to get up for work

I’m now in two minds whether to go out the dirty duck tomorrow night , doesn’t feel right while your suffering

Nah,.don’t you be worrying about me doze me old mate, I’m fine. :sunglasses:
You’ve done enough suffering in the course of your tramping career for the both of us. :open_mouth:
So how are YOU bearing up mate with the long term after effects ?
:wink: