POA is as much to blame for our stagnant wages as EU drivers

… Hence why I never use POA

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk

Agreed - I REALLY want the 'like button - please!

Here we go again

I have to say although my job rarely reuires POA, when it i required I never use it.
Im more than happy to keep my working week at 48hrs max thank you sir!

Why does it matter if you use it or not if your at work that’s it you should be paid from arriving to leaving irregardless of card in card out mode ect .

It’s all very well if you have enough money,or if you grew up in a time when you could buy a house for 3 times salary,but imagine a young man saving up to get married and then he needs 40k deposit for his first home.He needs to work 60 hours to have any chance of achieving his goals

Punchy Dan:
Why does it matter if you use it or not if your at work that’s it you should be paid from arriving to leaving irregardless of card in card out mode ect .

This defo.

The issue isn’t the mode the tacho is set to, it’s how the company you work for pays you. My lot pay clock in to clock out. Within that it matters not if I’m on POA or anything.

Sploom:
It’s all very well if you have enough money,or if you grew up in a time when you could buy a house for 3 times salary,but imagine a young man saving up to get married and then he needs 40k deposit for his first home.He needs to work 60 hours to have any chance of achieving his goals

And that right there is the reason why the pay and conditions will never noticeably increase. Just direct all the other threads whinging about pay, hours, shortages, eastern europeans, to this post.

Your out in the vehicle you should be paid for whatever hours your out, POA should have nothing to do with it. If it does you need to change your job.
Stagnant wages are down to people willing to work for peanuts just so they can drive a motor with all the gismos its cheaper for the Bossman than paying a decent money

Roverman:

Respectfully, no, but I will be less monosyllabic:
I would say that those seeing driving as a way of making a lot of money are the issue, to the extent that anything earned is never enough. So they maximise POA to enable working over the 48 hour average on a consistent basis. Nobody will ever make a lot of money driving, period, that is unless you are in Formula 1 or something.

DCPCFML:

Sploom:

And that right there is the reason why the pay and conditions will never noticeably increase. Just direct all the other threads whinging about pay, hours, shortages, eastern europeans, to this post.

I know what you’re saying ,but this is the reality of things,if his boss won’t agree to giving him a 50 % pay rise,I don’t see what other options he has

toonsy:

Punchy Dan:

This defo.

The issue isn’t the mode the tacho is set to, it’s how the company you work for pays you. My lot pay clock in to clock out. Within that it matters not if I’m on POA or anything.

Use your tongue vote with your feet I’d say .

Sploom:

I’m guessing you either live in an expensive part of the country or you’ve bought the ■■■■■■■■ you read in the papers.

You still can buy a house for 3x salary in quite a lot of the country, especially in the north Midlands and higher and especially if you’re a lorry driver. My lad bought his first house 2 years ago at age 23 and he only needed a £7k deposit, not a £40k one.

Observations and Pitfalls:-

If a firm pays all hours worked, ie “no deduction for breaks taken” - then the Boss who says to all drivers “If stuck on a bay, or waiting anywhere - ALWAYS put it on Break, and then you have a clear run when you are eventually on the move again.”

If a firm deductions a flat amount of break, regardless of how much breaks/poa is then taken - then book POA as you need to, especially if it is frowned upon to take more than “legal” breaks. This is the only scenario where I think POA even needs to be used btw.

If a firm deducts for breaks - but you are free to have as many as you like…

Guess what? - People are going to try and have a 45 at 5hrs 55minutes into their duty, and take the barest minimum of breaks to get by… This means that Traffic Jams and other unexpected hold-ups - then either cause tacho infringements or worse - force you to deduct waiting time from your own pay… Lose/Lose there.

Which scenario - sounds most like your workplace then? :question:

Conor:

Sploom:

I’m guessing you either live in an expensive part of the country or you’ve bought the [zb] you read in the papers.

You still can buy a house for 3x salary in quite a lot of the country, especially in the north Midlands and higher and especially if you’re a lorry driver. My lad bought his first house 2 years ago at age 23 and he only needed a £7k deposit, not a £40k one.

As you say, it’s very much area dependent. In my street a two bed has just gone up for sale for £209k :open_mouth:

toonsy:

Conor:

Sploom:

I’m guessing you either live in an expensive part of the country or you’ve bought the [zb] you read in the papers.

As you say, it’s very much area dependent. In my street a two bed has just gone up for sale for £209k :open_mouth:

In mine it would be £300k+!!

I feel that a lot of drivers don’t understand the POA issue.

Without it, you work a normal(ish) 48 hours per week. Not many people could afford to take home 350-400 quid each week. With POA you can do 70 odd hours.

Hence, it has kept the rate of pay low.

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk

It appears that wages are no longer stagnating. Not in the North East at least……

the maoster:
It appears that wages are no longer stagnating. Not in the North East at least……

Welcome to the 84 hour standard week.

Makes perfect sense for a week lasting 2.1x more hours than most ordinary folk to pay a wage roughly 2.1x the national living wage of £29.8k - don’t it? :confused:

Roverman:
I feel that a lot of drivers don’t understand the POA issue.

Without it, you work a normal(ish) 48 hours per week. Not many people could afford to take home 350-400 quid each week. With POA you can do 70 odd hours.

Hence, it has kept the rate of pay low.

I got the part about the 48 hour average and POA allows more. Where I don’t agree with you is where you say wages stagnating is the fault of POA itself.

Everybody knows those places where drivers may not even be on £10 an hour in 2021. However I don’t believe the problem is POA, it is these places that pay those rates. Unfortunately drivers still seem to go and work there. Surely sense would say to go elsewhere or simply don’t drive.

However, drivers that are on significantly more than £10, still want to extract every last penny they can out of a 65-70 hour week by using POA. The problem isn’t the POA, it is the drivers willing to work in this way.