POA is as much to blame for our stagnant wages as EU drivers

Noremac:

Roverman:
I feel that a lot of drivers don’t understand the POA issue.

Without it, you work a normal(ish) 48 hours per week. Not many people could afford to take home 350-400 quid each week. With POA you can do 70 odd hours.

Hence, it has kept the rate of pay low.

I got the part about the 48 hour average and POA allows more. Where I don’t agree with you is where you say wages stagnating is the fault of POA itself.

The mistake that was made was that employers told drivers to use POA when it was 1st introduced and the vast majority of us just did what we were told because we’ve always been compliant…

…until now of course.

Please remember, the shoe is on our foot now. You will NOT be sacked for standing up for yourself.

*On the contrary, your boss/company will respect you more.

It’s up to you.

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk

…If the worst thing a firm can do to you - is sack you suddenly, so you cannot pay the month-end bills, which in turn puts you on the street…

IF you know you can walk into a job on the way home from being sacked, then you’re no longer afraid of being sacked - are you?

The firm - has lost it’s teeth.

That there are still enough drivers who DO fear losing their jobs - means that wages continue to stagnate there but not on those more localized bits of the transport industry where walkouts/walkaways are far more commong.

Thus, people don’t tend to walk away from “Dead Man’s Shoes” type jobs, but those over-worked, under-paid ZHC type workers, especially those that got furloughed or sacked already?..

The sky is already falling.. :exclamation: :bulb:

Sploom:
It’s all very well if you have enough money,or if you grew up in a time when you could buy a house for 3 times salary,but imagine a young man saving up to get married and then he needs 40k deposit for his first home.He needs to work 60 hours to have any chance of achieving his goals

It wasn’t easy for us , my first house was £6,000 , but I got no help from anyone as in those days you had to stand on your own two feet , swim or sink ,
These days parents are softer ( or maybe it’s just me ) , whereas I got no help , my girl gets her car ins paid , car tax paid , meals out paid for , mrs takes her clothes shopping , paid for her bits ( food ) when they pop to the shop
We even buy here cat food , cat lit , treats etc
So I know you think us older ones had it easy , but I think you kids these days have it easier
Nb and I don’t begrudge a penny of it , we can afford it so why not make our girls life a bit easier

Sploom:
It’s all very well if you have enough money,or if you grew up in a time when you could buy a house for 3 times salary,but imagine a young man saving up to get married and then he needs 40k deposit for his first home.He needs to work 60 hours to have any chance of achieving his goals

40k deposit?

What percentage of property price?

If we’re talking 10-15% value of property (£400,000) then maybe your lad needs to set his sights lower or move to a cheaper area.

Tell me a little bit about this ‘first property’ how many bedrooms, bathrooms, garden, garage, drive, garden size, area?

My first house was a 3 bed terraced in Droylsden with no front garden and a rear brick walled area big enough for the old outside toilet that had been turned into a small shed.

I had to put down 20% of the price of the property.

Not saying truckers wages don’t need increasing but really curious about today’s young people expectations.

I’ve got two about to set off in the big world and trying to bring their expectations down to something normal is pretty bloomin’ hard!

They think because they’re at home in a lovely house with a lovely garden in a nice area, that’s the starting point, not the end point after decades of work.

Winseer:
…If the worst thing a firm can do to you - is sack you suddenly, so you cannot pay the month-end bills, which in turn puts you on the street…

IF you know you can walk into a job on the way home from being sacked, then you’re no longer afraid of being sacked - are you?

The firm - has lost it’s teeth.

That there are still enough drivers who DO fear losing their jobs - means that wages continue to stagnate there but not on those more localized bits of the transport industry where walkouts/walkaways are far more commong.

Thus, people don’t tend to walk away from “Dead Man’s Shoes” type jobs, but those over-worked, under-paid ZHC type workers, especially those that got furloughed or sacked already?..

The sky is already falling.. :exclamation: :bulb:

There are no dead man’s shoes jobs left out there any more, all are for the taking in the current climate… Fill you boots guys…

the maoster:
It appears that wages are no longer stagnating. Not in the North East at least……

Up to £62400 gross. In Hartlepool :laughing: . “Additional payments: bonus scheme, performance bonus”. Call me cynical…

I bet the reality of the actual average hourly pay is a world apart from the big numbers in the ad body.

This seems to be latest trend used by all the poor payers in a futile attempt to gets bums on seats now that all the flip-flops have gone home. Don’t mention anywhere in the ad the real hourly rate of £10/hr nor the weekend and bank holiday working, just do 3x15 + 3x13, divide by 10 and then add in the night out money to the figure and a load of impossible to achieve “performance” bonuses and voila! £62k job ! :grimacing:

I bet loads of suckers fall for it though. Bragging rights in the Tesco RDC waiting room, I’m on £62k a year me ! :sunglasses:

DCPCFML:

the maoster:
It appears that wages are no longer stagnating. Not in the North East at least……

Up to £62400 gross. In Hartlepool :laughing: . “Additional payments: bonus scheme, performance bonus”. Call me cynical…

I bet the reality of the actual average hourly pay is a world apart from the big numbers in the ad body.

This seems to be latest trend used by all the poor payers in a futile attempt to gets bums on seats now that all the flip-flops have gone home. Don’t mention anywhere in the ad the real hourly rate of £10/hr nor the weekend and bank holiday working, just do 3x15 + 3x13, divide by 10 and then add in the night out money to the figure and a load of impossible to achieve “performance” bonuses and voila! £62k job ! :grimacing:

I bet loads of suckers fall for it though. Bragging rights in the Tesco RDC waiting room, I’m on £62k a year me ! :sunglasses:

this is the core problem
Most people can now see its a load of crap.
it’s desparado time putting job vacancies signs up as big haulage company in service station toilets.
Put the hourly rates on the advert if its 35k for 40 hours plus overtime I’m sure the fone would stop ringing in the transport office.
what is the 5k rise based on 70 hours a week or 40 hours a week.

Build5:

Sploom:

40k deposit?

If we’re talking 10-15% value of property (£400,000) then maybe your lad needs to set his sights lower or move to a cheaper area.

Tell me a little bit about this ‘first property’ how many bedrooms, bathrooms, garden, garage, drive, garden size, area?

Where I live,the cheapest houses would be victoriana terrace for 130k so I suppose ,yes you could buy one sticking to 48 hours work,but these are not nice areas to live.
If you are talking about a very modest 3 bed in a reasonable area, then 230k plus.The only way to have a chance, on a truckers wage would be to work all the hours you can

DCPCFML:

the maoster:

Well it was on Facetube so it turned into the usual bun fight after I commented pretty much along your lines with some comments backing me and other comments backing the Co telling of past experiences with them and how good they are etc etc etc. I guess that unless you personally know one of the drivers who’ll be honest about wages, and arguably more importantly what you have to do for those wages, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Someone with the WhatsApp thingy should ask them what the hourly rate is before bonuses and see what their response is. I’m willing to bet that no hourly rate answer will be forthcoming; it will be lots of bluster about it depending on how many hours you work, how many loads you do, which shifts you work etc.

Simple if you want less hours get a driving job where you do 8-10hrs there plenty about. But you carnt expect to earn £50 grand a year for just chugging up and down a motorway. If you want bigger money work for it, it’s a free world, everyone different and you got a choice. Blame POA■■?, surely you getting paid for it sitting with your feet up doing nothing.

Maybe I’m missing the point, but at the moment you can change your job every week if you want. Firm offering crap wages, go somewhere else and stop whining about it, remember its a drivers market at the moment.

Build5:

Sploom:

40k deposit?

My first house was a 3 bed terraced in Droylsden with no front garden and a rear brick walled area big enough for the old outside toilet that had been turned into a small shed.

I had to put down

Where I live ,the cheapest house would be 130k for a small victoriana 2 bed.A very modest 3 bed semi 250k.
You can’t do that as a 45 hours a week trucker,you need to work extra .It’s the political system we live in really.
In a communist country,everyone gets a flat,at least they have something.In this country,young people can’t buy a house, no matter how hard they work,something wrong somewhere

With the industry at present screaming for Drivers,its up to Drivers to apply for jobs and when they are told what the wages are or whats expected of them for the so called “good money” which many Bosses say,put the ball in their court by telling them what you want per hour. If its a no no tell them bye bye.
All money is good in Transport its just that its not enough of it.

elsa Lad:
Simple if you want less hours get a driving job where you do 8-10hrs there plenty about. But you carnt expect to earn £50 grand a year for just chugging up and down a motorway.

Yes you can, I work at such a place.

Noremac:
I got the part about the 48 hour average and POA allows more. Where I don’t agree with you is where you say wages stagnating is the fault of POA itself.

When the WTD came in for drivers I was driving as a Linehaul Driver for Geopost (Parceline/Interlink). When the company was doing the wage negotiations with the union they were looking at 20-25% wage rises as a minimum because they knew how much a max 48hr week would affect them. They’d need to recruit basically another 20% of drivers because most would only be able to do four nights. They also realised that lots of other companies would be wanting more drivers and that because this was happening before the Poles had started to turn up in droves they’d have to get their hands in their pockets just like we are seeing happen right now.

And then the RHA and FTA managed to negotiate PoAs with the government and that 20-25% wage rise went straight out the window and it was back to arguing over 2-3%.

elsa Lad:
Simple if you want less hours get a driving job where you do 8-10hrs there plenty about. But you carnt expect to earn £50 grand a year for just chugging up and down a motorway. If you want bigger money work for it, it’s a free world, everyone different and you got a choice. Blame POA■■?, surely you getting paid for it sitting with your feet up doing nothing.

Maybe I’m missing the point, but at the moment you can change your job every week if you want. Firm offering crap wages, go somewhere else and stop whining about it, remember its a drivers market at the moment.

If you want bigger money, you need a contract that pays you that as a base wage, rather than be required to work an 8th day in a week, overtime after 25 hours in the same day, or driving more than 10 hours in a shift…

It ain’t possible, and you’d have to go to Mars to even make a start.

Thus, headline high “Salaries” - are useless if the line-up to make that pay appear on one’s first pay slip - simply isn’t within reach in a real universe…

Agencies - are just as bad. With their “Earn £1250 per week” - Yeh, based on 6 shifts all paid at the rate you only get on a Bank Holiday Night FFS

PRO RATA and OTE - needs to be BANNED from Job Adverts.

My Grandaughter has just moved into her new home £258000 these days nothing like an over the top price but she was required to put a 20% deposit.
She is a Teacher and her partner is a plumber with a good joint income but 20% was what they had to fork out.Good job he`s not a Driver.