Shift work question for the trucking massive

Morning friends

I wold like your opinion on the shift work I am doing right now.
Firstly, it is not driving a thundering 44t juggernaut through narrow English villages threatening the lives of Aunt Daisy, young children and kittens.
Just doing some testing, but 24 hours a day, two of us to be on-site at all time.

It’s quite a simple rolling start time as follows
06:00 to 14:00
12 hours off
02:00 to 10:00
12 hours off
22:00 to 06:00
12 hours off
etc…
So you work 8 hours, take 12 hours off.

As today is Day 10 of this, we are all starting to feel the strain.

What is your opinion on this pattern?

Thanks
Paul
(somewhere near Turin, not knowing what the actual day is…)

I certainly couldn’t cope with it myself.

Harry Monk:
I certainly couldn’t cope with it myself.

And it’s a no from me as well

New pastures

sonflowerinwales:
Morning friends

Firstly, it is not driving a thundering 44t juggernaut through narrow English villages threatening the lives of Aunt Daisy, young children and kittens.
Just doing some testing, but 24 hours a day, two of us to be on-site at all time.

12 hours off
12 hours off
12 hours off
etc…

Thanks
Paul

Go to 12 on 12 off, interspersed with a 24 off to get shift change in somewhere?

The pattern you are on you aren’t keeping any sort of rythmn it seems to me. You are changing “day” to “night” to “day” too often.

Or look at maritime watch keeping?
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchkeeping

Ed. The maritime system would only work if you are living on site though.

■■■■■■■■ to that. No way in hell is that good for your health or mental wellbeing. You stand no chance in hell of getting into any kind of sleep pattern.

Either 12hr shifts or they need to employ more people and run 8hr on, 16 off.

Time to get everyone together and send a selective “Sort it by the end of next week or you’ll be needing to find some new staff” letter. Life is too short to work shift patterns like that. Even what the Police do where they’re rotating shifts doing a week on one then a week on the next and then the next isn’t on either.

Thanks for the inputs so far people, what has been said really confirms what we are all feeling.
I did propose the 12 on 12 off cycle for the next campaign, but the works council will not approve that timing!
We came here on Monday 3rd and testing “should” be finished by Sunday 16th.
We all deserve a day off by then…

Franglais; good idea, but as it’s a secure site, we are not allowed to stay here. The hotel is only 4km away though

Thank you and keep your comments coming
Paul

(and I’m paid by the hour :smiley: )

There is lot written about disruption to the circadian rythmn, and your work patterns bear no resemblance to any 24hr cycle. Change it asap.
As I said before I’d think 12 on 12 off would be better. At first glance you may be doing fewer hrs per week, but the changing day/night is far more draining than doing a longer shift IMHO.

sonflowerinwales:
Morning friends

12 hours off
12 hours off
12 hours off
etc…

Thanks
Paul

That is the most retarded shift pattern I’ve seen in my entire life. Whoever thought up that wants shooting.

DCPCFML:

sonflowerinwales:
Morning friends

12 hours off
12 hours off
12 hours off
etc…

Thanks
Paul

That is the most retarded shift pattern I’ve seen in my entire life. Whoever thought up that wants shooting.

Probably by some manager who is working a nice 9-5 gig

quite clearly the company is taking the proverbial. getting you to work the maximum amount of time with the least amount of rest breaks. let me guess even though you work more shifts than days you are only paid 5 days.

The mind boggles, i thought some sub contractor petrol tanker shift patterns were cruel enough but this is something else.

sonflowerinwales:
Thanks for the inputs so far people, what has been said really confirms what we are all feeling.
I did propose the 12 on 12 off cycle for the next campaign, but the works council will not approve that timing!
We came here on Monday 3rd and testing “should” be finished by Sunday 16th.
We all deserve a day off by then…

Franglais; good idea, but as it’s a secure site, we are not allowed to stay here. The hotel is only 4km away though

Thank you and keep your comments coming
Paul

(and I’m paid by the hour :smiley: )

I’ve found 12-ish on 12-ish off quite acceptable for weeks at a time with a day off here’n’there.
Looks to me like it’s the constant day/night cycling that is the trouble. You’re being jet lagged permanently.
I’ve heard it said that those on rotating shifts prefer 2 week cycles on each shift to adapt to them. Changing every week is harder. But what you are doing here is changing twice a week without rest days.
How long are you on these jobs?
Unsustainable in the long term surely, and damaging in even the short term.
12 off sounds nice, but if you’re away from home, not tired at all after a boring short shift? Just thing twiddling your thumbs until your next shift starts? That isn’t very good either.
Maybe I’m reading too much into that last paragraph so ignore if off the mark.
Ed
Each individual is working 12 in 24 anyway, but suffering from changing start times

Afternoon friends

As is said on a well know reality show “Day 14 in the test house, and all five participants are totally clucked”.

msgyorkie:
Probably by some manager who is working a nice 9-5 gig

The test manager who produced this pretty bad shift pattern is also working it. So he know what it is like!

Life starts to get back to normal, Monday to Friday with an 8-5 shift for the whole team as we start to dismantle.

But by Friday, I will have worked 170 hours over 20 days, with only a Sunday morning off.

Paid by the hour as well, so I hear the tax man laughing already!

Cheers

Paul

That must play ■■■■ with your body clock, not to mention your health.
Why did you even consider putting yourself through all that ■■■■■■■■ in the first place?
Life is hard enough as it is without going for a work pattern like that. :open_mouth:

As I’ve got older and wiser my main priority these days is to make life as easy as possible.

robroy:
That must play [zb] with your body clock, not to mention your health.
Why did you even consider putting yourself through all that ■■■■■■■■ in the first place?
Life is hard enough as it is without going for a work pattern like that. :open_mouth:

As I’ve got older and wiser my main priority these days is to make life as easy as possible.

££££

robthedog:

robroy:
That must play [zb] with your body clock, not to mention your health.

££££

I kinda knew that tbh, but even so. :neutral_face:

That’s not far off the ‘theoretical’ shift pattern I suggested could be worked in the ‘144hr’ thread. Better watch out what we say in future, there are pointy shoes watching!!!

LazyDriver:
That’s not far off the ‘theoretical’ shift pattern I suggested could be worked in the ‘144hr’ thread. Better watch out what we say in future, there are pointy shoes watching!!!

Then there will be a real shortage of drivers.

msgyorkie:

LazyDriver:

Then there will be a real shortage of drivers.

Re. My answer to you on the Maritime thread.
You may be surprised :unamused: . :smiley:

8 on 12 off rolling rota?

A £5’er says you’ll start seeing drivers having bumps 1 to 3 months into this.

The body clock wont know if it should be eating, sleeping, working or what… It’s an accident waiting to happen if nothing else.