Anyone else getting tired of “How are you?”

Seriously I must answer this atleast 20x a day. Who the f cares how I am?

Not asking it back anymore unless I genuinely am interested. And if we’re practically strangers, sorry but I’m probably not.

Can we all just say “hi” or “hey” and leave it at that?

Just say alright thanks…
Hardy ■■■■■■■ hard is it.

Im only concerned when management ask, Im thinking, What load have you forgot? What email did you forget? How many hours work will I be doing to get you out the hole?

Where are you being asked ‘how are you?’ All i get is ‘what took you so long’ and ‘hurry up’.

TruckDriverBen:

Not asking it back anymore unless I genuinely am interested. And if we’re practically strangers, sorry but I’m probably not.

It’s what you call politeness and good manners mate, two concepts on the decline these days.
Bad manners is a pet hate of mine.
I’d rather be asked how I am as a formality than be grunted at or ignored by some ignorant ■■■■.

I dont see a problem there .Maybe you have a problem with your job.If a greeting sets you off.

How are you etc. Would be a lot more welcome than some of the grunts that I sometimes get from the Oompa Loompas that I have had to contend with. They ordered the stuff, all I /we do is bring it to them.

robroy:

TruckDriverBen:

It’s what you call politeness and good manners mate, two concepts on the decline these days.
I’d rather be asked how I am as a formality than be grunted at or ignored by some ignorant [zb].

Quite so - and for a regular example of how to do it properly just listen to Ken Bruce on BBC R2 of a morning. Every time he greets a new Popmaster contestant and they ask “How are you?” he responds correctly with “Thanks for asking”. As you say, politeness and good manners. God help us all if we routinely come down to monosyllabic “greetings” as a matter of course.

My planner , a Russian lass always asks that , how are you , she often wishes she hadn’t I bet , some planning manager asked the same the other day , about 1/2 hr later & some serious raving & ranting on my part , he had to go !!
Whenever I ask my mrs how she is , she just says 30 yrs living with you , what do you think !!

I ask “how are you” regularly. It’s manners, plain and simple. The bonus is it throws office staff out of kilter when you ask them that and they immediately become more amenable. There’s method in my madness :wink:

The op oughta be out here. G’daymate’owyergoin’? That’d probably see him chucking himself off a bridge.

peterm:
The op oughta be out here. G’daymate’owyergoin’? That’d probably see him chucking himself off a bridge.

Likewise here in France, the op would go completely off his trolley :smiley:
You shake hands with everybody and ask them how they are, office staff, other drivers, garage mechanics, even the boss,
it’s called being courteous
( not at the moment though, because of C19, it’s fist pumping or elbows )
and on the road, it’s warehouse staff, goods in/out staff, the manager of the routier, etc.
there’s always a " bonjour/bonsoir, ca va? " everything ok?

TruckDriverBen:

:laughing: I know what you mean. Despite what everyone else is saying here, I must admit I’m tending to agree with you, I’d rather people didn’t ask questions they clearly don’t want an honest answer to.

Around here the standard greeting is “y’aaar right?” But it’s entirely superficial, no one expects you to say anything other than something positive, if you say “Thanks for asking, I’m having a really bad time right now…” they will pull a face and look uncomfortable, it’s more socially acceptable to lie than make people uncomfortable with a truthful response: "Aye, fair t’middlin’… " is a useful standard reply to the standard enquiry.

In a similar vein, I dislike they way we’ve become americanized to the point where strangers trot out “Sorry for your loss” when someone has died. Why? you don’t know me, you didn’t know them.

What’s happening Bro’
What’s shaking.
Ya’ll doing fine.
How’s it hanging.
What’s up Holmes.
Yo yo yo my man.

Oh, and have a good day. :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :wink:

Wow. You think you’ve heard it all and then someone complains about people being polite. I ask how are you as a hello, bit of the Irish ‘how ya doin?’ greeting picked up . I like being asked how I am, it shows somebody polite and that’s becoming ever rarer. The only people who get on my bountiful ■■■■ are the rude who ignore you. You’d be amazed at how much better life is when you greet everyone you meet warmly genuinely and politely, especially these days as it makes you stand out

robroy:
I’d rather be asked how I am as a formality than be grunted at or ignored by some ignorant [zb].

THIS! I’ve got to that age now where if I move aside to let someone past or hold a door etc and they don’t say thank you I say ‘you’re very welcome’ loudly. Or ‘thanks to you too’. Politeness is such an incredibly simple concept it baffles me that it can be rare sometimes. As I said in post about life can be so much happier when you’re friendly and warm.

In my part of the world we say “Howdo.” It’s a rhetorical question and should get another “Howdo” in return.No need to get over emotional.

I agree with pierrot,above,the French are far better mannered than we are.He doesn’t mention the Kissy kissy bit though.

Common greeting in Cornwall is “Alright” short for “All Rite Are EEE” pronounced “aweriteareee”
Usual answer is “Alright” or “Yes - You?” saves a lot of breath and can be done across the street

If someone actually replies by telling you how they are, they are likely to be Visitors. :unamused:

Alternatively, “You Boy - Woz On?” to which a more descriptive answer is optional :laughing:

Some of us will never tire of basic polite exchanges, far better than a grudgingly delivered grunt from the subhumans we happen upon.

Victor Meldrew post.

How’s it going lads…