Does POA count towards part of your break?

So say I’ve driven for 2 hours, and worked for a total of 3 hours, then I’m waiting for an artic in front of me to be unloaded before I can get on a bay, so I put it on POA for 30 mins. Does this mean that later on I still need to take an official 45 min break for driving time or 30 min break for wtd or does that POA count towards some of it?

I’ve only been in the job for 3 weeks and sometimes my digi tacho changes to show I’ve got a fresh 4.5 driving when I didn’t expect it. So I’ve continued to take the full break to be safe.

Rowley010:
So say I’ve driven for 2 hours, and worked for a total of 3 hours, then I’m waiting for an artic in front of me to be unloaded before I can get on a bay, so I put it on POA for 30 mins. Does this mean that later on I still need to take an official 45 min break for driving time or 30 min break for wtd or does that POA count towards some of it?

I’ve only been in the job for 3 weeks and sometimes my digi tacho changes to show I’ve got a fresh 4.5 driving when I didn’t expect it. So I’ve continued to take the full break to be safe.

POA does NOT count as a break for anything

POA will pause the 6 hour WTD break requirement

Forget POA and use break when not driving or working unless there is a really good reason not to do so

Ah ok, so if I started work at 6am then if I worked and drove all the way through, assuming I didn’t run out of driving hours before hand, I would need to take a WTD 30 min break no later 12 noon. But if I started at 6am and at 9am I went on POA for 1 hour, then again assuming I didn’t run out of driving time beforehand, I wouldnt need to take my 30 min WTD break until 1pm due to the 1 hour POA.

Have I got that right there?

Rowley010:
Ah ok, so if I started work at 6am then if I worked and drove all the way through, assuming I didn’t run out of driving hours before hand, I would need to take a WTD 30 min break no later 12 noon. But if I started at 6am and at 9am I went on POA for 1 hour, then again assuming I didn’t run out of driving time beforehand, I wouldnt need to take my 30 min WTD break until 1pm due to the 1 hour POA.

Have I got that right there?

Yes you have got that right apart from the fact that you only need a 15 minute break for the six hour rule.

But remember that the digital tachograph wrongly counts POA as break and will wrongly reset the driving time on the tachograph display after 45 minutes or POA or a mixture of break and POA amounting to 45 minutes.

So you only need to take 15 mins after 6 hours for wtd?

Rowley010:
So you only need to take 15 mins after 6 hours for wtd?

You should have a break of at-least 15 minutes before exceeding six hours working time.

The rules for the working time breaks are:

Up-to 6 hours working time.

• No break is legally required.

If the total working time in the shift is more than 6 hours but not more than 9 hours.

• A total break/breaks of 30 minutes is required, this can be taken in 2 parts of 15 minutes each and at-least 15 minutes of the 30 minute break should be taken before going over 6 hours working time.

Or (You are legally required to comply with either the rule above, or the rule bellow but not both)

If the total working time in the shift is more than 9 hours.

• Total break/breaks should be at-least 45 minutes and at no point in the shift should you do more than 6 hours working time before having a break of at-least 15 minutes.
  • So for the 6 hour rule a 15 minute break should be taken
  • No later than 6 hours working time from the start of the shift
  • And*
  • No later than 6 hours working time since the end of the last break.
    [/*:m][/list:u]

Breaks for the working time regulations (RT(WT)R 2005) can be split into separate breaks of at-least 15 minutes each and cannot be taken at the immediate start or end of the shift.
Driving breaks count as breaks for the RT(WT)R and where appropriate breaks for the RT(WT)R count as driving breaks.

ROG:

Rowley010:

POA does NOT count as a break for anything

POA will pause the 6 hour WTD break requirement

Forget POA and use break when not driving or working unless there is a really good reason not to do so

now now ROG, come on, tell the truth :wink:

POA CAN count as break

BUT, only as part of a double manned operation

shuttlespanker:
POA CAN count as break

True - but it seemed that the OP was referring to non MM ops

ROG:

shuttlespanker:
POA CAN count as break

that may be so, but, you clearly stated that POA does not count as break for anything, when, i clearly does

if you are going to make a statement such as that, please be factual

shuttlespanker:

ROG:

shuttlespanker:
POA CAN count as break

that may be so, but, you clearly stated that POA does not count as break for anything, when, i clearly does

Also that by using break Can stuff you up but by understanding how and when to use POA CAN be an advantage .

you dont need POA if you have a break every 4 and a half hours

I thought you couldn’t use POA unless the period was known in advance of using it, how many users do that?

nick2008:

shuttlespanker:

ROG:

shuttlespanker:
POA CAN count as break

Also that by using break Can stuff you up but by understanding how and when to use POA CAN be an advantage .

POA can screw you up more :wink:

45 minutes continuous POA will reset the drive time on the head unit, but, you will NOT have had a break, and, if not careful, you can get done for insufficient break

shuttlespanker:
you can get done for insufficient break

Well … Being a little picky but - there is no such offence as insufficient break :unamused:

How hard is it, put it on break all the time if your going to be waiting any length of time, most people confuse themselves with some of the stuff on here, as long as you don’t drive over four and a half hours everybody is happy. if your paid on your card then get a new job.

shep532:

shuttlespanker:
you can get done for insufficient break

Well … Being a little picky but - there is no such offence as insufficient break :unamused:

the actual offence is classed as something like, exceeding the driving time

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a lot of drivers on our roads who (even after recent CPC training) don’t even know the basic tachograph rules? Reading thru several threads on here, it’s apparent that some people simply don’t know what they’re doing!

busteredwards:
Is it just me, or does there seem to be a lot of drivers on our roads who (even after recent CPC training) don’t even know the basic tachograph rules? Reading thru several threads on here, it’s apparent that some people simply don’t know what they’re doing!

If you read carefully through some of these posts, its the equipment that can steer you wrong. Which you need to be aware of, imho, to avoid fines etc. Can’t think why tachos haven’t been sorted, which is a separate issue…

Sumsmeister:

busteredwards:

If you read carefully through some of these posts, its the equipment that can steer you wrong. Which you need to be aware of, imho, to avoid fines etc. Can’t think why tachos haven’t been sorted, which is a separate issue…

I suppose the issue is that some (a lot) of DCPC trainers may have read the GV262 and think that’s all they need to know. Ideally these trainers should be able to pass on knowledge about the equipment and those little snippets of ‘watch for this and watch for that’.

But there is definitely something not working with some DCPC training. We can blame the trainers in some cases but we can also blame the drivers in others. Those not prepared to listen, those not prepared to actually learn and those who CAN’T learn.

Example - Friday Inhad a guy couldn’t tell me how long he’d been on duty if he started at 06:00 and finished 17:30. He claimed “I don’t do maths”. He was simply determined to walk out of there saying “DCPC is ■■■■ and I didn’t learn anything”. I come across this regularly.

I give all drivers on my courses my mobile number and tell them they can call anytime for help/advice. If I can answer I will - or leave a voicemail. Some call maybe months later. Some never do.

I do think DCPC is working to some degree. Although I had an email last week from an ex ‘student’ saying I had told him wrong because two drivers had told him differently. He has to print 2 print outs every shift by law - Inwas wrong to tell him otherwise and he’s gonna report me :unamused: :wink: There’s no telling some.

shep532:

Sumsmeister:

busteredwards:

I suppose the issue is that some (a lot) of DCPC trainers may have read the GV262 and think that’s all they need to know. Ideally these trainers should be able to pass on knowledge about the equipment and those little snippets of ‘watch for this and watch for that’.

But there is definitely something not working with some DCPC training. We can blame the trainers in some cases but we can also blame the drivers in others. Those not prepared to listen, those not prepared to actually learn and those who CAN’T learn.

Example - Friday Inhad a guy couldn’t tell me how long he’d been on duty if he started at 06:00 and finished 17:30. He claimed “I don’t do maths”. He was simply determined to walk out of there saying “DCPC is [zb] and I didn’t learn anything”. I come across this regularly.

I give all drivers on my courses my mobile number and tell them they can call anytime for help/advice. If I can answer I will - or leave a voicemail. Some call maybe months later. Some never do.

I do think DCPC is working to some degree. Although I had an email last week from an ex ‘student’ saying I had told him wrong because two drivers had told him differently. He has to print 2 print outs every shift by law - Inwas wrong to tell him otherwise and he’s gonna report me :unamused: :wink: There’s no telling some.

I agree totally. Knowing how the entire system works is just add important as knowing the regs. But I have been on so many courses ADR, DCPC, Manual handling etc where drivers simply don’t want to be educated.