Failed my Class 1 test today • Unsure how to proceed now? :/

Hi everybody. I didn’t want to start a new thread but my situation is pretty similar. I have made a comeback at getting hgv licence since I have tried unsuccessfully getting class2 some 8years ago.

I have failed my class1 test in some bizarre circumstances. I drove a regular size artic with tri axle box trailer.
I have been give a serious fault for straddling(splitting lanes) where examiner felt there was no need for that. I must add these were the places where I have never been before so I decided to play it safe and took both lanes. Especially one right turn where 2 lanes open up to 3 lanes shortly before traffic lights and the right turn lane is fairly short and narrowish and the turn itself rather tight with street furniture restricting the width. How on earth is this a serious fault? I am pretty sure that it should be a minor at the most. I was led to believe that a serious fault must be something potentially dangerous.

My confidence is destroyed, I have booked a retest but I question my decision ever since I’ve failed. This is extremely stressful situation for me now. What is the point of forking out a lot of money for retest where you can fail because you drive defensively. I have also been marked down on a few occasions for speed progress and hesitation. In my opinion it was slightly exaggerated as driving in London during school traffic with plenty of people and kids walking around residential streets justify to drop down the speed slightly and be prepared for anything.

My instructor was very surprised that I got a serious for such thing too and frankly couldn’t agree with the result.
I am not sure if I made a good decision. It cost me already best part of 5k and the stress is killing me now. I was pretty confident if I put on a good drive I will pass, in fact I thought I passed as I pulled up back at the test centre. Apart from serious fault nothing else was explained to me and I have had a couple of minors, around 8-9.

Is this normal practice? I am just trying to find strength to continue but it not easy. Especially knowing that getting a job as new pass is very difficult and getting qualified costs a lot of money and retests are difficult to get a date and they cost £400+