Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Chris Webb:
Stirlands changed over with Smith of Maddiston at Stainmore Cafe,on Boots contract,70s and 80s David.

Yes, I remember that Chris, but one wagon went all the way to Glasgow, while all the changeover men had Atkis, this one was a lone Albion. I think the driver slept in digs during the day while a shunter tipped and reloaded it for him to come back the next night. I can’t remember why, but one night I was asked to do this instead of my normal Bristol trunk. They did give me notice of it but I was not keen and when asked why I said because I have an occasional afternoon job driving a limo for my mate’s undertaking firm behind the hearse. Geoff Stanley was not impressed, but he did find someone else to take the Albion. :laughing:

That funeral job was great fun. One day I got held up at a large roundabout on the way to Derby Crem. and didn’t see which exit the hearse had taken, through Stapleford and Sandiacre or down the by-pass. As I went round the roundabout twice trying to make up my mind, with the 2nd car following me in wonderment, I plumped for the by-pass and set off at 70 mph, fortunately catching the hearse up half way to Derby, to the great relief of the driver wondering where all his mourners had gone. :laughing: :laughing: