Say goodbye to your jobs-self driving trucks in UK 2023

Juddian:
There’ll always be a bod sat in the wagon whilst its operating on public roads, someone will have to be held to account when error 404 crops up and carnage results.

Our hero behind the wheel can occupy him/her/itself whilst the electronics take care of driving, when error 404 occurs our designated responsible person who hasn’t the foggiest bloody idea what’s happening will make the right decision in an instant and save the day.
Anyone see what’s wrong with this picture.

Where’s our mate that went off to New Zealand or somewhere, apparently very involved with automation and testing with fully automated completely driverless trucks months away about 4 years ago :unamused:

How alert and ready to take control will the driver be if he’s been sat there for the past 5 hours doing nothing?

Few other issues with self driving trucks…

If the driver still needs to be in the cab to take over and perform tasks like opening curtains ,backing on to bays etc what are they aiming to achieve by spending millions on new technology which may or may not work as planned:

Wages - already regarded as poor in many driving jobs, can’t reduce them anymore as they already can’t recruit drivers

Monotony - already having a crisis due to crap jobs not being filled due to nobody wanting to do them, considering most people that take an interest in driving hgvs for a living is the fact that it gets you out and seeing different parts of the country. Don’t think I’ve had many days that have dragged while driving hgv. If you’re sat there doing nothing it will drag like hell.

Driving Hours - already can legally do 3 15hr shifts per week followed by 3 13’s (assuming waiting for the truck to ask you to take over will be poa), are they now going to suggest you can do 20hr shifts if the truck is doing most of the driving?

I would love to have a q and a with some of the people proposing these ideas. Just like I’d like one with the ones that think just because public transport is convinient for their work they think it should be used by everyone else too [emoji19]

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk