High electricity & gas prices!

Franglais:
I should have let this go, but I remembered being told by one of teachers of the heat pumps at the Festival of Britain. Two ex-Spitfire engines powered the heating system in the Royal Festival Hall. A wee bit about it here.

“Heating systems
A ground source heat pump was used to heat the building in the winter and cool the building in the summer. Water was extracted from the River Thames below Hungerford Bridge using a centrifugal pump. Heat was extracted from the river water using a heat pump. The compressors were driven by two Rolls-Royce Merlin engines, adapted to run on town gas. It was highly successful, providing both heating and cooling for the Hall, but over-sized, and was sold off after the Festival of Britain.”
placeandsee.com/wiki/royal-festival-hall

I expect Mr CF to work out how much energy the 2 engines used, and whether simply burning that amount of gas would overheat the hall as the heat pumps did.
(Hint…it wouldn`t!)

Summat For Nothing? Nope.

And for the TNUK audience :smiley: :
A Gardner 6LXB or even a Rover V8 ticking over will easily power a house or more. Burning the same amount of petrol or diesel they would use, wouldn`t.

But ironically with all of your Global Warming belief and France’s prolific nuclear electric generation you chose to install … a gas boiler rather than a ground source let alone air source heat pump.
3 kw out for 1kw in is clearly what’s being sold to the mugs.Even if it was true that still needs around 7kw of electric at 30p per kwh = £2.10 per hour to match the output of a 20kw gas boiler at 8p per kWh = £1.60 per hour.
No surprise that France prefers to shut down its power stations and take our gas instead.
While if the 3 to 1 lie was true we’d obviously have heat pump power stations feeding back 3kw for every kw generated instead of burning gas to generate electric at an old fashioned 30% efficiency from boiler to plug.