High electricity & gas prices!

Franglais:

Carryfast:
So have you taken your own advice by ditching your gas or even electric boiler for a heat pump ?.

What advice was that?

Although actually I am looking closer at heat pumps. I renewed my fossil boiler ten years ago, and at that time, it wasn`t worth the change for me. Now? I doubt that fossil fuels will be getting cheaper anytime soon.
A bigger price difference between fossil fuel and electricity will tip the balance towards electric heating and (in spite of CF not seeing it) heat pumps are much more efficient than resistance heating if using electricity. Like everything else to do with ‘global warming’ it’s a scam.

Carryfast:
https://youtu.be/GhAKMAcmJFg

Interesting video.
Not much there to argue with. Although he does get a bit over excited and focuses on the losers and skims over those who say “I have installed a heat pump and it works beautifully” 1min 10. And he is correct that bad incentive schemes can encourage poorly qualified fitters and mis-selling. Hardly a shock.
Some are getting a warm house and cheaper bills. Some are getting no saving and poor heating.

Franglais:
They are not always a simple switch into existing systems,

A well specified and fitted system will be good. A bad one, will be bad. Who`d a guessed it?

Since you put the link up, I suggest you shout at the man that he “is all wrong” when he says that:
“There is free heat floating about in the outdoors” 1min 30.
“CoP of 3” and “for every kW you put, you will get 3kW of energy here” 3min 10.
“Sure they work in Scandinavia” 4min 40.

I repeat

Franglais:
They are not always a simple switch into existing systems,

But, they do work in colder climates than the UK.

Whether they are cost efficient is another matter.
At the moment certainly not for every existing house. I have never said that. I have given no advice either way.
I do say they are worth looking at. And if there is a greater step between elec and fossil prices the decision will sway towards heat pumps.

Ironically it’s self evident from his own advice that you can’t get 2 or 3kw of heat out by putting 1kw in.
He also predicted the government’s stated aim of artificially increasing gas prices to match electric.Bearing in mind a more than 100% increase in the price of gas.
As for a fridge in reverse I’ve never seen a fridge yet that has great big fan or any fan in its system and certainly doesn’t create 2 or 3x as much energy as put in.
On that note if it was true we would obviously be using massive heat pumps instead of nuclear power stations or wind turbines to generate electricity.