High electricity & gas prices!

Carryfast:

lancpudn:
@carryfast. You’ll need to pin down your actual usage in terms of kWh reading at the meter to make any conclusions.
It takes some serious if not impossible economising to get below 200 kWh for electric and 500 kWh gas per month.Bearing in mind that any transfer of usage from gas to electric will be at the expense of around 4x the unit price.The sums for electric only really add up in the case of ditching gas central heating for single room electric heat of no more than 2kwh preferably 1kwh.
Also there is no way to avoid standing charges and VAT.
200 quid per month is a realistic bet possibly a lot more including EV charging at these prices but all bets are off after October.
Let alone when the now compulsory EV smart charging allows road fuel tax and 20%VAT on EV charging.

Yeah I’ll have to look at some numbers but since we got put onto Octopus energy after Avro energy went belly we’ve gone from paying £80/month for duel fuel to £143/month now they’re wanting £247/month WTF! we don’t use a lot of energy here. The MG only gets topped up twice a month costing between £10-15/month, It’s like going back to paying another monthly mortgage payment. :imp:

You can tell Octopus that youll pay the bill by DD every month but only based on the meter reading.
That’s what I do all done by e mail submission.
They send the meter reading portal then you put in the figures then they make up the bill.
That figure sounds like a set payment based on average use across the year.If so doubt if 247 quid will even cut it unless the house is as cold as outside in the winter.

Yes it’s a set monthly payment to cover the whole year & I might ask them to pay the actual monthly bill instead of the set amount, It is an old cold house which we’ve had cavity wall & loft insulation done. We usually only heat one room or put the central heating on for a couple of hours at night time when it gets too cold.