Queues At Dover & Calais

cav551:
all week and listening to the local radio traffic reports. These say that what delays there are at Dover are due to: “high demand”; with no mention of any other cause so popular among certain sections of the population and Press.

I`m sure your hearing is correct, but “high demand” at half past January?
Seems a bit strange to me.

I can see that ferry companies prefer filling sailings up and so use the least number of boats possible. Any increase in predicted demand results in queues.
“High demand” is a good excuse. Not high overall, but higher than planned for.
After two years with very quiet January, my own guess is the ferry companies are temporarily under resourced.
The ferries will say “high demand” rather than “we cant be arsed to put another ferry and crew on”!
Nothing necessarily to do with Brexit/Covid or anything else. Just efficient/profitable (for operators not customers) ferry operations.
If it is genuinely “high demand” (Im guessing it isnt) then Easter and summer will be complete chaos!

Of course none of the above affects the Inland Clearance Parks built for Brexit:
Land bought, paved, buildings, access roads, extra junctions and traffic entering and leaving m-ways. Customs officers, and remote office staff, marshalling staff, documents made and discharged. Red tape production at a high not seen for decades.
These facilities, and staff were not there before Brexit. They cost money and delay some trips.
So, expense and time added to journeys, producing…