Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

ParkRoyal2100:

Spardo:

Star down under.:
David, when were you in Australia, particularly Queensland? Bjelke Pedersen didn’t become Premier until 1968.

After arriving in Darwin I worked in the NT and then eventually to Sydney where I had trouble finding a decent job partly because NSW wouldn’t accept my NT heavy licence (there were many one day wonders, painting fences, flipping pigs in an iron foundry, running beer from Reches (sp?) brewery down to the trains at Darling Harbour, Yellow Express parcels etc. etc.) so I finally volunteered to go to Israel for the 6 day war. So that would be '67. Refused a free flight because of their excitement when they thought I had said ‘crane driver’ when I had in fact said ‘road train driver’ (if I’d know they wanted people to unload Yank tanks at Tel Aviv docks but didn’t need truck drivers, I’d have said crane driver, how hard can it be?), so I headed north jumping trains and hitch hiking to Mackay. So I reckon around '67/'68 arriving in Queensland. Took no interest in politics but kept hearing people going on about B-P. I think he was a bit right wing wasn’t he? Must have spent a year or more there before returning to Sydney.

David, it’s Resch’s (“The Beer We Drink Round Here”) - their ales were always an acquired taste :wink: . I’m enjoying the conversation btw you and “Star down under”, all before my time cos I only turned up here in 1988. They haven’t thrown me out yet either.

You came for expo and never left, or sentenced to the term of your natural life? We will find you. :wink: