Grizzled Newbie

Thanks to all who’ve contributed to this - it’s interesting where an initial request for some trucking info can lead! Just a few comments in return: to those who are sceptical about religion - I know where you’re coming from. I had over 20 years thinking that religion was a load of BS, and that the people involved in it were morons. Gradually (SO gradually) I changed my mind - because I came to see that you didn’t have to believe all sorts of (what I thought to be) nonsense, before you could take religion seriously. Having found a way that I didn’t have to leave my brain outside before going into a church - I wanted to try and communicate this to the many thoughtful people who are put off religion by all the nonsense they hear (it’s sometimes said that churches are like swimming pools, with all the noise coming from the shallow end). So I became a vicar - not because I liked the theatrics, but because it was a job that was all about the Big Questions - not that I’d got Big Answers, but I did want to help people find their own ways of dealing with them. Yes - children do get bone cancer and all sorts of other terrible things happen - and to say ‘it’s God’s will’ is plainly obscene. I can’t go into what my response would be here - as it’s too big a topic, but if anyone would like to contact me (my email is amwindross@btinternet.com) or Google my name (Tony Windross) and have a look at some of the things I’ve written, I hope you’ll see that I’m not the stereotypical vicar - or, indeed, everyone’s cup of tea!