Gritter driver shortage?

Bin Man:

Might not for much longer. Whilst that was a good rate a couple of years ago it’s starting to lag now.

I am not trying to say its a great wage but looking at indeed for the area most class 2 jobs start at £12 per hour so its on par with other work and now the public sector pay freeze has ended with luck we will be in for a decent rise next year.

I guess its all about what you want, if you want a day job in your local area finishing work early most days, working for a company that offers a great pension scheme and up to 6 months full sick pay, decent holiday entitlement and a job that keeps you physically fit then look no further if you want to earn higher wages its obviously not the job for you.

Yes, that’s the thing. I’m on £32,000 for Class 1 which is low for where I am (Rugby) but I did 9 hours today, 6 hours yesterday, 8 hours on Tuesday and although Monday was a long day for me at 11.5 hours, I get overtime pay for 1.5 hours of that. Plus, at least 80% of my day is spent sitting around surfing the internet.

I could earn a lot more if I wanted to do 14-15 hour days with nights out elsewhere but I need very little money to survive on- I pay no mortgage, rent, council tax, water rates or utility bills etc, my children are grown and both paying their own ways through life now- so my quality time is more important to me than the money. There’s no point being the richest person in the graveyard.