Government announcement on HGV shortage

robroy:

Yorkshire Tramper:

robroy:
Here’s a revolutionary idea…Make general terms and conditions better, starting with bringing the permitted daily and weekly hours down, with wages adjusted accordingly in correlation with new hours.
Bring the industry into Century 21, make the job attractive as it once was.
Who tf in their right mind wants to start a new job or carreer where your work expectancy exceeds 70 + hours every [zb] week.
I know that longer hours go hand in hand with the type of work, but a 60 hour max working week inc breaks (or less) is enough for anybody, some may argue even that is too much.

I would argue way too much on 60 hrs, I don’t know many other jobs that look on you doing 60 hrs as though you are a slacker. Most jobs advertise 38 hrs per week, with overtime as an option.

Yeh, I was meaning 60 including overtime tbh.
When I started (in the Middle ages :smiley: ) it was a 12 and a half hour daily spreadover, we got paid time and a half overtime rate after 8 hours.

I

If l remember correctly r.r. 12and half seemed one hell of a day, didn,t do many l.ll admit,
but nowadays a lot of drivers would never rest unless they get their 15. Those hours seem better for the driver and safer too.