Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

tyneside:
Form Facebook NMP TYneside

Before I had passed my driving test, probably about 1960, I had a job as a clerk in the offices of Weddel Meat in Nottingham and then was transferred to the Bedford depot. I lodged with the driver of their delivery van, just like that Morris, and, as I hitched hiked home to Nottingham each weekend and knew every inch of the route, A6 Kettering, Leicester, A 46 A 606 to Nottingham, whenever Ernie was not driving the van and I had a spare moment, I could be found sitting in the cab ‘driving’ the whole route back home. I longed to be a lorry driver and hung on every word when the meat drivers of Union Cartage (like Weddel and Blue Star Line, a Vestey company) visited to deliver from Smithfield.

And it was Vestey who ran large cattle stations in the Northern Territory and used the Rotinoffs for their road trains. I was never fortunate enough to see one though. :frowning:

And while on the subject of cranes, does anyone remember Scott’s of Beeston, Nottingham? Their yard is now houses I think and had very restricted access to the main road. I believe they were taken over and the name disappeared.

And tanks, I am on a memory roll this morning. I lived on the old A 52 not far from Chilwell depot and often saw them at speed on the road outside, you could hear the steel tracks from way off. :laughing: