Impossible deadlines

Franglais:

Grandpa:
The workload we now have and which is now the norm wasn’t happening even 15 years ago. Our £12ph is worth £30ph in their home countries to the East European who came en masse. It happened in the warehouses and before that the Polish plumbers who undercut. The East Europeans weren’t refugees, they were economic migrants.

The people who came told the companies they could do the three runs we took nine hours to do in seven hours and un/load themselves. They worked themselves ragged and the companies added another run and another … Gradually the workload became too much for anyone and so we now have a workload that no one can do and why there are certain companies that are short of drivers because no one can do the workload they now take for granted.

There’s nothing xenophobic about it, the UK let in economic migrants and they undercut the native workforce. Go to any warehouse, any service station, any transport office … you can see it for yourselves. We’d do the same. If another company offered us £30ph we’d all do it and let them pile it on, but it backfired in that now we have shifts that no one wants to do and the companies are left scratching their heads and wondering why.

“Undercut the native workforce”?
Really?
I’ve never heard of anyone saying
“Please.
I want less pay, for more work*”.
If some-one legitimate is trying to “get an in” that wouldn’t last long.
An illegal immigrant, knowingly exploited by a bent employer, yes. A legit foreign worker? Why would they?
I dunno if I’m being a näif?
Any evidence?

*Unless a blinged up Scannie was on offer, anyhow.

I love this myth that all foreign drivers who work for UK firms are on a less rate than the Brit drivers. :smiley:

When the boot was on the other foot in the 80s and 90s and the Brits were chasing the Guilder, I seem to remember we got the same rate as the Dutch, why would anybody work for less than anybody else doing the same job ffs.