Impossible deadlines

Grandpa:

KarlM:

Harry Monk:
I did an agency job last week, and on a day run from Coventry I was expected to do…

Bury St Edmunds.
Ipswich x 2.
Lowestoft.
Norwich.
Hunstanton.
Kings Lynn.

And then back to Coventry.

I got Bury St Edmunds and the two in Ipswich off and then I turned around and went back to the yard, when I got there I was on 9:05 hours driving.

Whoever planned that wants shooting. Just out of curiosity I put them into Google maps. Even if they had used Google maps, based on a car, to work out the distances, 9hr14m, in this case, should be obvious to anyone in that office there is no hope of completing that in a shift. In fact you’d be doing well if you did it in less than 10hrs in a car!

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

I laughed at that one myself, but the point is someone somewhere will give it a try. Speeding, cutting off breaks and as soon as it’s done that’s proof that it can be done. After all, if the driver attempts it and gets caught by the police or VOSA he’s the one who’ll be paying hundreds in fines. If it’s not done you don’t get work with that company again and are viewed as someone who can’t do the job. I’m glad to hear though that I’m not alone in wondering what happened to the job we were all so used to doing years ago and which has now turned into a nightmare.

As I’ve said the writing was on the wall long before now.Certainly within around the 6 years of me starting out in the late 1970’s being told to make sure that I didn’t carve up Feltham to Southampton for one collection with a 7.5 tonner so not back to the yard before 6 pm to keep the overtime right for everyone else when doing it.Although admittedly with hindsight own account work.I thought the workload and type on the following council driver job was a joke until I ended up on the agency for a while during a temporary layoff from night trunking.Realistically driving trucks only makes sense on the basis of maximum driving,minimum drops/loading operations and what operations there are all mechanically handled.So there you have it full or bulk load pallet distance/trunking work is the holy grail and was always so.The problem now being an even more over supplied labour market and an ever reducing amount of the above type of work because the rail freight sector wants that best quality truck work.