I would recommend starting with a free app on your phone and see how you like it. If you’ve got an android, try Road lords. Or Sygic will work on any phone.

I don’t think any sat nav is as foolproof as your manager suggests, you still have to be aware of where it’s suggesting you go.

Useful thread on satnavs here: trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … &p=2808432

I use road lords but would be careful as it always trys to send me down roads with a 7.5t limit even though its set as 44t.

Class 1 work if mainly RDC’s I’d say Garmin’s has better routing, and clear instrcutions.

Multidrop, I found the TomTom app (its HGV complient now) if lots of inner town/city work, makes it easier to see restrictions etc, but the Font size used is poor, and means its more a visual aid as in follow the line, rather than like the garmin that clearly shows the road number or name, but doesnt have as clear a route visual, as clunkier graphics.

Used all mentioned here, and all can give a bad route, usually when a re-route is activated.

Bridges, I never trust the satnav, and use a bridge map I usually just quickly check the route and area, and just for what bridges I can’t fit under, then make a mental note.

*Use Amazon and with a garmin, just try it for 30 days, and if no good for what you need, just return it before the retunr day window arrives.

• TomTom Expert - same as above.
    *TomTom GO app gives a trial period, and is now HGV adaptable. managed to get it for £50 for year, and just same as the expert 7, apart from it runs on an andriod device.

think different drivers prefer different devices based on their style of routing and driving instructions,

Anyone tried this new tomtom large vehicle app yet? I can’t find the price as I don’t use the google store.
anyone able to see the prices care to add it here please ?

Narc:
Anyone tried this new tomtom large vehicle app yet? I can’t find the price as I don’t use the google store.

£100 for 12 months but there is an offer just now so its £50 for 12 month.

Narc:

Have been using it during its beta stages, and works same as the expert 7, only issues had was the font size for reading road numbers and names, but graphics usually clear enough to know the route it wants you to take.

£50 subscrption for 1yr (on discount at moment) then up to £100 next year…

Snooper I find the best. I’ve tried Garmin Tom tom and cheap one’s but all ways come back to Snooper.

PaddyTheLorryDriver:
Thanks. I have that sygic on my phone now and see it blanks out roads with low bridges. Not tried driving with it yet though.

I have used Sygic, and if you set the dimensions of the vehicle correctly it seems quite good. Your phone needs a good GPS locator and to have reasonable specifications to make it run smoothly.

i don’t have one…but whatever one you buy…make sure you put your height in correctly! one of our guy’s following his truck-nav in a dd trailer 16’3’’ to our store in Maidstone yesterday,suddenly came up to a low bridge on the way in. the outcome was,the police were called and had to stop all the traffic so he could turn around and find the correct route :laughing:

PaddyTheLorryDriver:
All our trailers are 13ft 8in, the doubles are 14ft something but only the night trunkers use them.

Oh and that sygic app I downloaded is no good. I live in SO16 but it keeps thinking my address is in SO14. When I did get it up it found my location and when I went to set my destination it lost and forgot my address again. So I’ll stick to an actual sat nav.

Wow! I’ve not tried Sygic, but I like road lords (not available on iPhones tho)

For navigation I use WAZE but like many other mobile app it’s designed for cars mostly. You have two options for mobile apps online and off line maps. Online will need data to retrieve the image of were your are.
Having to add your vehicle dimensions is excellent feature if it can be trusted and accurate. And that’s most likely a app for this to which utilizes your GPS.

I would get a large second hand Tom Tom model from eBay around £100/150 Tom Tom is a good device with Arial attachments ect look for a large screen and the latest model works best for LGV.

You don’t need camara updates feature there’s a app for that(cam sam)+(radarbot) but most models offer lifetime map updates

I have the Tom Tom Expert 7, it’s a great sat nav, as for the size, not sure where others position theirs, but mine goes in the middle of the windscreen. I had heard reviews that sometimes the Tom Tom would take you down roads not appropriate for your wagon, however driving artics, I have yet to be taken down somewhere I should not go, and as always sat navs are for guidance only, if you don’t think you’re going to fit, obviously don’t go down there. Would highly recommend it, for me it was a hefty investment, but one that has proved its worth to no end!

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Coaxx:
I have the Tom Tom Expert 7, it’s a great sat nav, as for the size, not sure where others position theirs, but mine goes in the middle of the windscreen. I had heard reviews that sometimes the Tom Tom would take you down roads not appropriate for your wagon, however driving artics, I have yet to be taken down somewhere I should not go, and as always sat navs are for guidance only, if you don’t think you’re going to fit, obviously don’t go down there. Would highly recommend it, for me it was a hefty investment, but one that has proved its worth to no end!

Can also vouch for Road Lords, for when I was in the process of finding a sat nav. Got me from Colchester to Bolton and back again with not a lot of issue, only real one, it was sometimes a bit slow to update on the road.

Don’t most trucks come with in built sat nav? Our 21 man’s do however on the trip to Bolton I mentioned, I was in an older actros, took me forever to find out how to adjust the steering wheel height lol