PAYE Or Self employed?

Hey guys I’ve been offered a tipper job and the guy said I can either go paye or self employed , the difference in pay is around 2500 pounds , I’ve never er been self employed at all and no idea of the pros and cons with it, I’m sure plenty are doing it hence the question.

Cheers if you can advise .

tobytyke:
Hey guys I’ve been offered a tipper job and the guy said I can either go paye or self employed , the difference in pay is around 2500 pounds , I’ve never er been self employed at all and no idea of the pros and cons with it, I’m sure plenty are doing it hence the question.

Cheers if you can advise .

Are you buying your own truck?
No?
Are you starting an employment agency?
No?
Pretty much then, you are PAYE.

If in any doubt here is your starting point:
gov.uk/employment-status

And don`t worry about the person the person suggesting all of this to you: any taxes you evade, plus any penalties, will still be paid by you, not by them.

(If you can, find somewhere that isn`t trying it on with you)

PS Try this too
gov.uk/guidance/check-emplo … us-for-tax
Go to questionaire and fill it in honestly. Don`t just put in what you think it wants you to say!

So, one quick thought, if your s/e you are not paid for holiday or sickness or bank holidays etc. with a min of 20 days leave, that £2500 equates to £150 a day and reduces the more days you might have off work.
It does give you the chance to work elsewhere as well as the operator the chance to stand you down without notice or compensation!!!
Not really your issue, but the TC is not keen, to say the least, of drivers being s/e as it’s difficult to see when they really are!

With that extra £2500 you will be able to pay your own holiday pay when you have time off :laughing:

H, also remember that’s £2500 before tax, so deduct 30% as a quick guide on what it is after tax.

Also if you don’t do your tax and the HMRC catches up with you and you’re working PAYE they’ll change your tax code and deduct monies owed or worse case make you bankrupt
I would steer clear of the firm totally