2022 Newbies

Good luck for Friday Roadkill_Badger. Hope it goes well for you.

All in all I can report that my first two days in a class 2 were a success. :smiley: I had a little smile to myself as I left the yard - I’m actually doing this - and then I had to change gear and turn onto an actual road which wiped the smile off my face. :laughing: Getting used to the 4 over 4 box, plus driving a huge loaded hunk of metal, plus coping with the loading and tipping sequences (I had my notebook out), and the fact that the lads I was tipping with (there were 6 of us) were so fast, was a huge challenge. I just let them get on with it and went at my own pace, which was fine by them.

Part of the route was on a hilly, windy A then B road with bridges (over and under), temporary traffic lights, overhanging trees and bushes (thank god my left mirror had a kind of metal guard behind it), narrow in places, so plenty to keep me busy. Then it got interesting as the tip was in the middle of nowhere. For the second part of the route I was driving down single track roads with grass growing up the middle and ditches either side and pot holes galore :open_mouth: Plus walkers, cyclists, a lady with a buggy, and a car driver who made me stop on a very steep hill because he hadn’t left enough room for me to pass, so he had to reverse some more. I just about managed to pull away in 1st, loaded - tense moment - then I remembered about crawler gear. :unamused:

By day 2 I was bossing the gears and I even managed to get up to the speed limit :lol. Plus I did one more run than I did on day 1. Everyone was so nice, friendly, understanding and patient. When we were on our break on day 2, I almost welled up when one of the drivers told me how well they all thought I was doing. I of course thought the opposite, so that was very feel-good. Happy days. :slight_smile:

How’s everyone else who has just started working getting on?