2022 Newbies

I only know it’s a P410 because I took a photo of it and that’s what it’s got on the front - I am so not a petrol head, although I will inevitably begin to gain some knowledge. :smiley:
So yes, steering axels probably, meaning that when you steer, both front axels move in the direction you steer, right? Does that mean there is only one drive axel, the front one?
As you can tell, I have no real idea what I’m talking about :laughing:

“My” truck is a 64 plate and I have looked up that that means it’s 2014/15 - almost 8 years old. It’s done over 475,000 miles. One thing I noticed from the video is that the tyres on mine are more tractor like, they are enormous and have huge treads.
I saw some newer Scania’s when I got back to the yard so I will check out what they are on Monday.

Yes, I did pop my card into slot 2 and out again, just for practice :smiley:

[emoji3] the 2 front Axels steer and the 2 rear axels drive. You won’t need to know any of that to drive it, it’ll just work.
Good luck with the gearbox [emoji106]

If you’re doing site work, Driveress, it would be a good idea to familiarise yourself with the power divider and crosslocks. Don’t forget to disengage both on hard surfaces.

Thanks Star down under. I observed how to engage/disengage and operate the power divider the other day (and made notes) but I don’t know what you mean by crosslocks, however, a group of us are going out together tomorrow so I won’t be on my own and will have someone with me to train me and make sure I get the sequences right.

Crosslocks lock the axles from left to right, there may be one for each diff, one only or none. I think Scania have one on each drive axle.
With two crosslocks and the power divider engaged, you’ll have little if any steering, on a slippery surface.

driveress:
Hey Papaya
Hope you enjoyed your first two days training. Best of luck for Friday.

Nice to meet you Roadkill_Badger. Hope you have some success with job hunting soon.

So here’s an update from me. I posted elsewhere on the forum about my struggles passing Cat C and my eventual success. I’m still on a high. The achievement and the career change mean so much to me, passing was more than just passing if you know what I mean.

I should have been van driving for ages but, wondering when I would ever pass my Cat C, and armed with a nice sparkly new CV (I’ve been self employed so never needed one), I CV bombed agencies asking for van work while I’m waiting to pass my Cat C on the Monday. Signed up with 2 on the Tuesday, one of them offered me van work the following week. I asked if they could arrange for me to spend a day with a driver just for unpaid work experience, which they did. That was the Thursday. I had an awesome day as a passenger, driving around Cornwall in a Class 2 delivering pallets. I learned so much and met my first trucking buddy. On the Friday I passed my test.

After the bank holiday weekend I worked Tue-Sat delivering plumbing supplies around South and East Devon in a 3.5t van. Then I did a day collecting books from charity shops in Plymouth, then I did a day collecting plant and tools for a plant hire company, again in a 3.5t van. I have learned loads and I don’t know whether I have been lucky but all other drivers and most of the people I have delivered to have been so nice and helpful and patient. One of the things I learned is that I don’t really have the physique for moving 800kg of wine, or 10 radiators, on a manual pallet truck. I’m not afraid of hard work but I am aware of my limitations, and I don’t want to be that person who lets go of a pallet of wine. I think I forgot to mention that on agency no one has the time to train you on anything for any meaningful length of time.

I’ve also been getting my kit bag together and I am especially loving my thermos tumbler so I can sip tea all day. I have also become a morning person as my shortest commute is 45 mins (only downside so far for me) and the starts have been anything from 0600 to 0800.

So then the agency started talking about getting me onto a Class 2 job, they mentioned skips, and then tippers. Then they came back with an offer of tipper work all next week. I asked if I could go out with a tipper driver for the day again, unpaid, which I did on Thursday. Again, had another awesome day out, another driving buddy met. We shifted 18.5t of topsoil from a building site to a football pitch extension 8 times, up and down the A30.

So, I have my first gig in an HGV since passing my test two weeks ago, on Monday! I’ll be driving a Scania P410. It’s 32t gross weight, 4 axles and the front two are both drive axles. It’s quite punchy. I learned in an auto and this has a 4 over 4 so I’ll be spending the weekend watching videos on how to operate 4 over 4 gearboxes and Stoneridge tachos. I haven’t had to use my digi card yet.

My impressions of tipping are that it’s great for small framed girls like me as there is minimal load interaction. It’s also great for newbies as you only have to find two places in one day and you can build your confidence and nail the same stretch of road by the end of the day. There’s a bit of common sense, responsibility and concentration required to operate the hydrolics, so that’s good. You will also reverse multiple times a day. It’s also mostly driving. I think I’m going to love it! I’m definitely going to be Devon’s slowest tipper driver though, so I’ll be easy to spot.

I’ve also booked my C+E driver training for September.

I’ll come back and let you know how next week goes.

I hope everyone else reading this thread is getting on well and whatever you are doing next week, have a good one.

Well done on getting your foot in a few doors so quickly after passing your test. Good luck and keep us updated! :smiley:

driveress:
Hey Papaya
Hope you enjoyed your first two days training. Best of luck for Friday.

Nice to meet you Roadkill_Badger. Hope you have some success with job hunting soon.

So here’s an update from me. I posted elsewhere on the forum about my struggles passing Cat C and my eventual success. I’m still on a high. The achievement and the career change mean so much to me, passing was more than just passing if you know what I mean.

I should have been van driving for ages but, wondering when I would ever pass my Cat C, and armed with a nice sparkly new CV (I’ve been self employed so never needed one), I CV bombed agencies asking for van work while I’m waiting to pass my Cat C on the Monday. Signed up with 2 on the Tuesday, one of them offered me van work the following week. I asked if they could arrange for me to spend a day with a driver just for unpaid work experience, which they did. That was the Thursday. I had an awesome day as a passenger, driving around Cornwall in a Class 2 delivering pallets. I learned so much and met my first trucking buddy. On the Friday I passed my test.

After the bank holiday weekend I worked Tue-Sat delivering plumbing supplies around South and East Devon in a 3.5t van. Then I did a day collecting books from charity shops in Plymouth, then I did a day collecting plant and tools for a plant hire company, again in a 3.5t van. I have learned loads and I don’t know whether I have been lucky but all other drivers and most of the people I have delivered to have been so nice and helpful and patient. One of the things I learned is that I don’t really have the physique for moving 800kg of wine, or 10 radiators, on a manual pallet truck. I’m not afraid of hard work but I am aware of my limitations, and I don’t want to be that person who lets go of a pallet of wine. I think I forgot to mention that on agency no one has the time to train you on anything for any meaningful length of time.

I’ve also been getting my kit bag together and I am especially loving my thermos tumbler so I can sip tea all day. I have also become a morning person as my shortest commute is 45 mins (only downside so far for me) and the starts have been anything from 0600 to 0800.

So then the agency started talking about getting me onto a Class 2 job, they mentioned skips, and then tippers. Then they came back with an offer of tipper work all next week. I asked if I could go out with a tipper driver for the day again, unpaid, which I did on Thursday. Again, had another awesome day out, another driving buddy met. We shifted 18.5t of topsoil from a building site to a football pitch extension 8 times, up and down the A30.

So, I have my first gig in an HGV since passing my test two weeks ago, on Monday! I’ll be driving a Scania P410. It’s 32t gross weight, 4 axles and the front two are both drive axles. It’s quite punchy. I learned in an auto and this has a 4 over 4 so I’ll be spending the weekend watching videos on how to operate 4 over 4 gearboxes and Stoneridge tachos. I haven’t had to use my digi card yet.

My impressions of tipping are that it’s great for small framed girls like me as there is minimal load interaction. It’s also great for newbies as you only have to find two places in one day and you can build your confidence and nail the same stretch of road by the end of the day. There’s a bit of common sense, responsibility and concentration required to operate the hydrolics, so that’s good. You will also reverse multiple times a day. It’s also mostly driving. I think I’m going to love it! I’m definitely going to be Devon’s slowest tipper driver though, so I’ll be easy to spot.

I’ve also booked my C+E driver training for September.

I’ll come back and let you know how next week goes.

I hope everyone else reading this thread is getting on well and whatever you are doing next week, have a good one.

Nice to meet you too :wink: I’m going to start my first class 1 job on friday this week. After few attempts with different comapnies and assesments I’ve been offered a contract with Stobart. It’s not where I wanted to work, but I decided to take it and get some experience in driving. Plus- they didn’t ask me to come to the assesment and didn’t fail me saying „your reversing is not up to out standards.” like few comapnies did even though they advertised the positions as „no experience neccessary”. My minimal experience is not a problem, and I will get some training too.

Hope you will have good start driving tippers and you won’t be pulling any 800kg pallets anymore.

Happy to hear that you booked your class 1 test! Fingers crossed.

Good luck for Friday Roadkill_Badger. Hope it goes well for you.

All in all I can report that my first two days in a class 2 were a success. :smiley: I had a little smile to myself as I left the yard - I’m actually doing this - and then I had to change gear and turn onto an actual road which wiped the smile off my face. :laughing: Getting used to the 4 over 4 box, plus driving a huge loaded hunk of metal, plus coping with the loading and tipping sequences (I had my notebook out), and the fact that the lads I was tipping with (there were 6 of us) were so fast, was a huge challenge. I just let them get on with it and went at my own pace, which was fine by them.

Part of the route was on a hilly, windy A then B road with bridges (over and under), temporary traffic lights, overhanging trees and bushes (thank god my left mirror had a kind of metal guard behind it), narrow in places, so plenty to keep me busy. Then it got interesting as the tip was in the middle of nowhere. For the second part of the route I was driving down single track roads with grass growing up the middle and ditches either side and pot holes galore :open_mouth: Plus walkers, cyclists, a lady with a buggy, and a car driver who made me stop on a very steep hill because he hadn’t left enough room for me to pass, so he had to reverse some more. I just about managed to pull away in 1st, loaded - tense moment - then I remembered about crawler gear. :unamused:

By day 2 I was bossing the gears and I even managed to get up to the speed limit :lol. Plus I did one more run than I did on day 1. Everyone was so nice, friendly, understanding and patient. When we were on our break on day 2, I almost welled up when one of the drivers told me how well they all thought I was doing. I of course thought the opposite, so that was very feel-good. Happy days. :slight_smile:

How’s everyone else who has just started working getting on?

driveress:
Good luck for Friday Roadkill_Badger. Hope it goes well for you.

All in all I can report that my first two days in a class 2 were a success. :smiley: I had a little smile to myself as I left the yard - I’m actually doing this - and then I had to change gear and turn onto an actual road which wiped the smile off my face. :laughing: Getting used to the 4 over 4 box, plus driving a huge loaded hunk of metal, plus coping with the loading and tipping sequences (I had my notebook out), and the fact that the lads I was tipping with (there were 6 of us) were so fast, was a huge challenge. I just let them get on with it and went at my own pace, which was fine by them.

Part of the route was on a hilly, windy A then B road with bridges (over and under), temporary traffic lights, overhanging trees and bushes (thank god my left mirror had a kind of metal guard behind it), narrow in places, so plenty to keep me busy. Then it got interesting as the tip was in the middle of nowhere. For the second part of the route I was driving down single track roads with grass growing up the middle and ditches either side and pot holes galore :open_mouth: Plus walkers, cyclists, a lady with a buggy, and a car driver who made me stop on a very steep hill because he hadn’t left enough room for me to pass, so he had to reverse some more. I just about managed to pull away in 1st, loaded - tense moment - then I remembered about crawler gear. :unamused:

By day 2 I was bossing the gears and I even managed to get up to the speed limit :lol. Plus I did one more run than I did on day 1. Everyone was so nice, friendly, understanding and patient. When we were on our break on day 2, I almost welled up when one of the drivers told me how well they all thought I was doing. I of course thought the opposite, so that was very feel-good. Happy days. :slight_smile:

How’s everyone else who has just started working getting on?

Congratulations on your first couple of days, so good to hear its going so well for you. Are you staying on tippers this week? I found manual not to bad when training, you soon get used to it. I wish I could say I am at the same stage as you but I’ve been so busy at work, not had time to start the ball rolling.

Papaya:
I posted in this thread back on page 1 in January. From this Thursday 12/05 I start my 26 hours in class 1 until my final test next Friday 20/05.

Ex driving instructor, straight to class 1, passed every module first time up to now, whatever my result next Friday, I’ll try document everything (should I remember too) for other newbies in this thread/forum.

Location will be Hinckley start point, Leicester test location with J Coates.

So I did indeed pass! 4 minors, couple for hesitancy and 1 for missing a follow through mirror check after passing a group of teenagers. My examiner was mostly concerned with me just getting on with it. Nervous beforehand but to my surprise during the test, wasn’t nervous at all.

I do highly recommend “J Coates” for anyone based around the Midlands. Anywhere between Northampton and Nottingham they mostly cover.

I’ll be looking for jobs in the next few weeks whilst I await my licence and CPC to return. I’ll keep you all updated on my experience regarding that.

I must say, it’s been a pleasure lurking these forums for years and re reading my past posts regarding my journey. I really do appreciate the effort and advice by everyone here.

Congratulations!!! Great news. If you handed your license in to your examiner, you can expect it to be returned in the next post.

So yesterday, after what felt like the best shift I had so far, on a one-drop trip to Barnstaple, I got an infringement for going over 6 hours of working time before taking a break!

Stupid mistake that I’ll certainly not be making again in a hurry!

Congratulations Papaya, that’s great news. I expect ROG will be along with some fireworks for you before too long :smiley: Let us know what you end up doing.

Goff118 - How annoying to get an infringement. You passed very close to me yesterday on the A361 - I get all excited when I know other TNUK users have passed nearby :laughing: Did you go to one of the Tescos in Barnstaple and back?

V quick update - I was supposed to be on the tippers all week last week but I got cancelled (I’m agency) because the building company couldn’t pay up for the muckaway work. When it starts up again, the client said they will have me back though. I had Wednesday and Friday to myself and on Thursday I did a nice little van run delivering craft cider around Somerset and E Devon. The weather was great with beautiful views between Frome and Cheddar. I’ve got work penciled in for Thursday and Friday this week but things can change fast on agency so we’ll see how this week pans out.

Hope everyone has a good week.

driveress:
Congratulations Papaya, that’s great news. I expect ROG will be along with some fireworks for you before too long :smiley: Let us know what you end up doing.

Goff118 - How annoying to get an infringement. You passed very close to me yesterday on the A361 - I get all excited when I know other TNUK users have passed nearby :laughing: Did you go to one of the Tescos in Barnstaple and back?

V quick update - I was supposed to be on the tippers all week last week but I got cancelled (I’m agency) because the building company couldn’t pay up for the muckaway work. When it starts up again, the client said they will have me back though. I had Wednesday and Friday to myself and on Thursday I did a nice little van run delivering craft cider around Somerset and E Devon. The weather was great with beautiful views between Frome and Cheddar. I’ve got work penciled in for Thursday and Friday this week but things can change fast on agency so we’ll see how this week pans out.

Hope everyone has a good week.

Yes, the Tesco Extra near the train station in Barnstaple. It is a lovely part of the world down there :slight_smile:

The day went so well too, so the infringement was very annoying! Will definitely learn from that mistake.

Let us know how the week goes, best of luck!

@Goff118 seeing as you’ve still not driven with a tacho since your infringement, is it one that could be resolved with a manual entry? Adding 15 mins break then one minute other work to the end of your shift. That would cover the last six hrs of your shift.

stu675:
@Goff118 seeing as you’ve still not driven with a tacho since your infringement, is it one that could be resolved with a manual entry? Adding 15 mins break then one minute other work to the end of your shift. That would cover the last six hrs of your shift.

Unfortunately not. I didn’t record a break in the first 6 hours of the shift (stupid mistake).

driveress:
Congratulations Papaya, that’s great news. I expect ROG will be along with some fireworks for you before too long

pass ce.png
PASSING FIREWORKS.gif

Firstly Driveress…well done! I wanted to put on my first post and couldnt see how to do it lol
Went for my medical in November 2021, passed theory in January 2022, CPC in Feb 2022 and lessons and passed CatC in March 2022. Working via agencies doing class2 multidrop and loving it!!! Should have done it years ago. Plan to do Class1 after a year or so.

My question to the floor is what map is best to show bridge heights, weight restrictions etc? And if you know how I can post this as a topic so I get info from the auld hands that would be great :laughing:

Jockforster:
Firstly Driveress…well done! I wanted to put on my first post and couldnt see how to do it lol
Went for my medical in November 2021, passed theory in January 2022, CPC in Feb 2022 and lessons and passed CatC in March 2022. Working via agencies doing class2 multidrop and loving it!!! Should have done it years ago. Plan to do Class1 after a year or so.

My question to the floor is what map is best to show bridge heights, weight restrictions etc? And if you know how I can post this as a topic so I get info from the auld hands that would be great :laughing:

Congratulations on the pass and good to hear you are enjoying the class 2 work!

After my recent encounter with a non-signposted bridge near the A38 in Clutton, I bought the Philip’s Trucker’s Road Atlas of Britain. The bridge I encountered isn’t actually marked on the map though, so it wouldn’t have helped me at the time, but I do now keep it in my bag as a just in case.

Jockforster:

Well done, and hope it keeps getting better for you.

Some of us ole ■■■■■ do come on this section to tell those wholl listen of " ow it wus in t`good ole days"…

SatNav /Maps /Google /etc is often covered, so try a bit of a search on older threads first maybe?
Whatever you choose don`t trust your shiny new licence to a bit of kit or a map. Always keep a close eye on restrictions yourself.

Personally I tend to plan routes on an old paper map, then use satnav for the last couple of miles.
Even then, I will look at where the SatNav is suggesting as a route, and if it seems strange Ill try to work out why. Turning on a satnav and just following its directions blindly is a recipe for disaster.