Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Geordielad:
Spardo wrote; I would doubt it would be a ■■■■■■■ at that age, but am not sure. I remember driving a Dodge in the '60s (the squarish one with all the windows, not the Kew, can’t remember the model) which had a real clattery engine in and was told it was a ■■■■■■■ V6, but not sure when they started putting the larger ones in heavier models. Incidentally, we were actually told it was a Chrysler, not sure if that was correct or the same thing.

It would have been the Chrysler Diesel in the Dodge 500 Series, the company I worked for in the workshop had Dodge 500’s and Ford D1000. Although the ■■■■■■■ in the Ford was loud the Chrysler Dodge’s were really noisy, this may have been down to the different exhaust systems rather than the engines themselves as they were actually the same engines. These were V8 engines and not the V6, but they were also available in the earlier models. ■■■■■■■ V8 engine being the VALE 177bhp engine, now Chrysler in Britain (Dodge) when developing the 500 series wanted to use a European or Japanese engine for the new models and spent a year discussing with companies but wanted to have them marked up as Chryslers, they approached several manufacturers but as you might expect got short shrift, however ■■■■■■■ who had V6 and V8 power plants that would suit requirements agreed to this and a 50/50 Chrysler ■■■■■■■ venture was struck up and the Darlington Plant was built to produce these engines. They did have Chrysler Diesel on the rocker covers. The Perkins 6.354 was offered in the lower weight models. So it was the ■■■■■■■ that was a Chrysler Diesel and not the other way around as is sometimes quoted. Incidentally the Dodge cab was styled by Ghia of Turin who hadn’t actually designed a truck cab before and were very interested and excited at doing so. Franky.

The Darlington Engine plant was a ■■■■■■■ facility and the V6 & V8 engines were entirely ■■■■■■■ albeit the V6’s used by Dodge were “labelled” Chrysler but they were ■■■■■■■ never the less. Perkins supplied Ford with “Ford” V8 engines but with the Ford logo on the rocker covers but they were still Perkins. This reminds me of a 2:5 D Peugeot engine we had in a Granada and when we had to recon the engine the parts we required were about half the price from the local Peugeot dealer than buying them from the Ford Dealer ! it was unbelievable but true all the same ! Cheers Bewick.