Cadwalladers of Oswestry

Bump for drhasbeen.

Thread bumped back for ex Caddie driver Dave Matheson.
Cheers Dave.

the f89 you see is not an f89 but was a chapman &ball square grill f88 dutch spec. there were 3 of them RWD 239 / 240 / 241 R all came together from hartshornes. i had 239 for about a year and found it to be a very reliable unit.i have a pic of 239 in Austria.

top cat leek:
the f89 you see is not an f89 but was a chapman &ball square grill f88 dutch spec. there were 3 of them RWD 239 / 240 / 241 R all came together from hartshornes. i had 239 for about a year and found it to be a very reliable unit.i have a pic of 239 in Austria.

I think the chap who restored it also had an F89 donor, I looked at it at Oswestry and it had the canted 89 motor but being a left ■■■■■■ would make it easier to convert, the log book still has the model down as an F88.

I bet you all hate me doing a topic . But what the hell ! Tony

Stick them on Tony,although as you know Nev aka oxo3 has Old Oswestry on the photo forum with some of Cadwalladers.
Cheers Dave.

Lets get Started

Oswestry Truckshow 2010.

transportphotos.com/road/photo/CZC00055-11
A958PUM

CZC00055-11.jpg
transportphotos.com/road/photo/CZC00061-08
JNT261N

CZC00061-08.jpg

Must admit I don’t recall Caddies ever having an F89 although they did have a few left hookers when they were running the ‘French’ side.
rgds Ron

rondavies:
Must admit I don’t recall Caddies ever having an F89 although they did have a few left hookers when they were running the ‘French’ side.
rgds Ron

That was never one of their trucks, its a show truck painted in their colours, didn’t this truck at some time in its life be a r/hand drive f88 for Chapman & Ball, it must have had major re-work or be a different vehicle on those plates.
Bestbooties (Ian Taylor) may know more on the story of this one!

Hello all, Ron, yes Gordon & Russell did run F89s, in fact I was delivering their first one along the A5 at Red Hill bank near Telford when the cab was filled with smoke, the smell of electrics shorting out, and the quickest emergency stop I had ever made!! It was the faulty radio installation that caused the panic, when the smoke cleared I pulled the radio, and returned to base, where all was made good, and delivery effected later in the day. Russell, as always, was concerned about time, but no one ever knew that the first F89 was nearly a gonner! Selling to Cadwalladers was always “fun”. Going back to the early days at the farm at Morda, Gordon and Russell liked anything with a Gardner, there was a standing order for any Silver Knight, or Borderer, new or used. Even in the days of short supply the late Tom Ward, (North Cheshire Motors) could always find something suitable, which the little Black Country Dealership that “Saviem” worked for could not always match, anyway I had other clients in Oswestry who I needed to keep happy. One of which, Trevor Morris, was situated uncomfortably close to messers Cadwalladers, so close in fact that any vehicle entering Trevors Farm could be heard at Cadwalladers premises, and if come first light a Gardner powered Atkinson could be seen on Trevors premises all hell would break out!! To obviate all this unpleasantness I would effect delivery at night, approaching at high velocity, pull the stop, (no power steering to worry about), lights out, and coast down Trevors drive. (not without its hazards as Trevors livery was mainly black, and outfits due to depart in the morning would be parked in the driveway, what you do when you are young!! Gordon Cadwallader was a very capable engineer, and new Atkinsons were (when possible, in the days of eratic component supply) specified with an Eaton18802 2speed axle, a true 70mph machine, (as were the equivelent ERF). Cadwalladers carried good component stock and could engineer in house. I went to work in Europe, often seeing Cadwalladers outfits, though gradually they began to look more “unkept” . On visits back to the UK the domestic fleet really was in my opinion rough, not as I remembered them, smart and well liveried. In the late 80s Russell used to come and visit me “incognito” driving a brown Vauxhall Cavalier, with a cracked windscreen, I used to tease him, that everyone knew his disguise, and would telephone ahead to warn that Russell was on the prowl for a bargain!! Happy days, Cheerio for now.

3 Photos here taken from the biglorryblog (hope they dont mind)photos by Graham Bellman
Cadwallader Sed Atki NNT647P & Volvo F88 PRT620M.jpg
Cadwallader Volvo F10.jpg
Cadwallader Volvo F88 SUJ241R.jpg
Prehaps some of you lads will remember them or even drove them.

good thread tony :sunglasses: here is an mw erf instead of a volvo :laughing:
regards andrew.

Blimey Andy,where did you get that from?..its been copied so many times its lost its quality,heres one from the original print. :smiley:

Thats better,
Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Trev_H:

rondavies:
rgds Ron

That was never one of their trucks, its a show truck painted in their colours, didn’t this truck at some time in its life be a r/hand drive f88 for Chapman & Ball, it must have had major re-work or be a different vehicle on those plates.
Bestbooties (Ian Taylor) may know more on the story of this one!

The ‘F89’ that was at Oswestry show was on ebay recently and the seller had it listed as an F88.

NAW500G Russell Cadwallader & Mike Goffin in drivers seat, taken at hartshornes shrewsbury

early days

oxo3:
NAW500G Russell Cadwallader & Mike Goffin in drivers seat, taken at hartshornes shrewsbury

thats the one thats now in mathew kibble colours isnt it ?

Yes, that the one, Volvo had it rebuilt still in caddies livery and put it in there Warwick showroom.