roping and sheeting

Bewick:

harry_gill:

Bewick:
Hi “H” and yes we are good thanks. The Sutton 4 wheelers had the LX 150 engines especially for use with a trailer and from memory they were all pre suffix reg nos so they must have been 14 ton GVW because again IIRC 16 ton 4 wheelers only appeared around 1966 and also the Sutton motors only had single headlamps and not the twins which were later. We used to come across a rake of them in The Hollies for breakfast, and not to put too finer a point on it “H” we had run from Barrow and those idle backs had just run down from St. Helens ! I’ll give you a “chuckle” there was a demarcation line in the Café as all the Drivers sat together and the Mates had their own tables so guess what I was relegated to the Mates end while Eric had the craic with the Sutton Drivers. There was often 6 or 7 or so of Suttons waggons and trailers on the Hollies and I recall there was uproar one morning when Suttons Mates had gathered around the glass cabinet which had that three claw grab where you put in 2 bob and tried to grab summat ! Well Suttons Mates managed to prize open the top and they worked the grab and cleaned out all the packets of cigs !!! Eric and me did a quick exit as weren’t getting involved with that lot eh! Cheers Dennis.

Hiya,
Yes Dennis I used to dine with the Suttons lads but at the Sunset at Penkridge,
they were a rowdy lot for sure and me being a newbie and only just 21 got a
bit of the urine extracted until they saw me drive off once or twice with the
old man a guy nearing retirement who was my trailer “boy” for a while, I did
get respect eventually, but this was the late 1950s and seemingly I must have
“been only about 18” or so they thought.

Aye The Sunset at Penkridge “H” was state of the art when it opened. Eric and me used to stay there occasionally and IIRC they had a bar and “cabaret” was it downstairs underneath the establishment !! I bet you know “H” especially if there was a Slapper or two performing !! :open_mouth: :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Hiya,
Slappers indeed I’ll have you know I momentarily fell in love with one or two
of the gorgeous ladies, no seriously Dennis I never got to stay overnight only
ever called for food outward bound when coming home it was alteration to a
logsheet to get home viva la fourteen hour spreadover if needed Eh’ Dennis,
so I didn’t get to see the Sunset at night other than through the windscreen.