Machin's

I stumbled onto this page when searching for Parkers Transport from Surfleet, my dad, worked there for years, I spent most of my childhood with my Dad in various Parkers lorries, I even had a Parkers knitted jumper! Can remember a big Renault 340 that my dad had D749 WDO I think it might have been? Also a Renault rigid, an ERF E10 that he had later on before he left as well?

Dad always says they were the best driving years of his life!

Here’s a photo of me and him together in front of his MAN, Oh and apparently I once kicked the handbrake off in that Renault 340 in Southampton once! Whoops!

If anyone has more pics to share that would be great, I know my dad would like to see them too, he says it makes him feel young again!

Pete

holbeach_legend:
I stumbled onto this page when searching for Parkers Transport from Surfleet, my dad, worked there for years, I spent most of my childhood with my Dad in various Parkers lorries, I even had a Parkers knitted jumper! Can remember a big Renault 340 that my dad had D749 WDO I think it might have been? Also a Renault rigid, an ERF E10 that he had later on before he left as well?

Dad always says they were the best driving years of his life!

Here’s a photo of me and him together in front of his MAN, Oh and apparently I once kicked the handbrake off in that Renault 340 in Southampton once! Whoops!

If anyone has more pics to share that would be great, I know my dad would like to see them too, he says it makes him feel young again!

Pete

My memories of Machins are from when they had a depot in Hollinwood, Oldham, Lancs in the early 70’s ( before they moved to Trafford Park ). My dad drove for them at that time,they had the AEC’s then. I loved riding round in them … felt like i was king of the road. The only guy I can remember from there was the mechanic, a Polish guy called Stan. He would shove some money in my hand & send me to the little shop across the road, he would say ’ go get me 20 Senior Service … you know '… everything he said ended with ’ you know ’ … lol . I remember one night I was in the mood to do something brave … like have a go at driving an artic for instance. So off I went down to Machins yard, got the key off the top of the drivers front wheel ( I’d seen my dad hide them there ) … started the truck, put it in gear & drove forward about 20 feet. Awesome … now to put it back … after a few attempts I found reverse … headed backwards … BANG …( what the hell was that ? ) … the truck wouldn’t move & stalled. Took it out of gear, turned it off, jumped out & locked it … put the key back then ran like hell . Later found out from my dad & the police that someone had reversed a truck into the wall, demolishing a big section of the wall ( ooooh thats what that bang was ). That was in the 70’s … I’m 51 now & even now nobody knows it was me that did it . I would love to see some pics of Machins AEC’s ( Mercury’s, etc… ) from then. I know there is one on here with the Geest trailer … but I would like to see more if possible. Could anyone please oblige ?. Even seeing the Machins name bring back great memories.

I remember Machins I used to backload off them in the Spalding area, this would have been about 1962 ,I think the manager (I found out later) was Jack Garn, but his second in command was non other than Jim Welch, who did quite well for himself building up the Fowler Welch empire, The fleet at that time was almost 100% AEC Mandators, Mercury’s. There Manchester Depot at the time was at the old Agecroft Power Station. Cheers .Alec

My dad Johnny Wilkinson asked me to post on this,
He worked from 1977 to 1986 from the Manchester depot,
He said it’s sad to hear of Jim welchs death as he was a very nice man,
He has only just found out because he was unable to keep contact with other machins drivers,
If anyone knew him on here he’s happy to say hello just send me a message on here for contact details as he doesn’t
Use the internet.

transportphotos.com/road/photos

JLC00236-03.jpg
JLC00237-09.jpg
Plus a few registrations.
Sed Atki XJL301T
ERF E14 F431XEG + F244XFL
Renault G556WEE + H782HJL + E122ACT
Merc E680LEW + E681LEW

My Dad is to blame for me becoming a driver :wink: . A familiar tale to many on here, school holidays etc spent in a wagon, loved every minute of it . Before landing, in his own words " my best ever driving job" at Tolemans, he had a short stint on Machin’s at their yard in Ipswich (next to the old B.R. workshops and sidings off wherstead road, now covered in rabbit hutch sized houses). They hailed from his native south lincolnshire and I seem to remember the slogan “Lincs, Lancs and Suffolk” on certain trailers. It would be great to see any pic’s or anecdotes you may have about them on here. Cheers.

I used to see Machins every night going over Woodhead when I was on nights.I know they had a depot somewhere in the Manchester area.They were running Marathons and Mandators IIRC and didn’t hang about.They were from Surfleet and another firm from there was called Parkers who did a lot of market work.
Sorry Goaty,no photos,but I do remember them very well and there will be others on here the same.

Chris Webb:
I used to see Machins every night going over Woodhead when I was on nights.I know they had a depot somewhere in the Manchester area.They were running Marathons and Mandators IIRC and didn’t hang about.They were from Surfleet and another firm from there was called Parkers who did a lot of market work.
Sorry Goaty,no photos,but I do remember them very well and there will be others on here the same.

I can remember dad pulling Manchester Liners and IFF 30’ boxes quite a lot, top loaders iirc. I believe the Manchester yard was in Dukinfield.

Heres one for you, one of Machins ERFs.

i used to load sugar beet pulp pellets in hundred weight bags at spalding they used to help with the hand ball and if they had time to sheet up aswell. but the smell from the factory was overpowering.

Mark R:
Heres one for you, one of Machins ERFs.

Cheers Mark. I think I’ve seen that before on this forum. Dad had an S reg B series, 1 of 4 they had at Ipswich.

They had a Machins reunion sometime Sept/Oct in Spalding. Have heard that there might be an article about Machins and the reunion in the next issue of Classic Commercial magazine (due out in approx 10 days I think). There is a chap called Richard Baker who does the rounds of truck shows etc sleeing photos who is also selling a DVD of Machins pics for about £3.00. Great value and excellent pics.

I’ll keep my eyes open for that, cheers.

Machins yard in Manchester was in Lyons Rd,Trafford Park,Goodways bought it off of them in the 80’s.
A lot of the container work from that area was Manchester Liners half-heights usually loaded with steel.

John Stringer became manager at the Felixstowe depot,and it was he who instigated the continental work with three or four of Felixstowe driver’s.
One of the star driver’s,can’t remember his name,John something? had a Pegaso Troner and the others had twin steer Merc’s.They did quite a lot of Spain with fridges.

They moved into OOCL’s old yard just off the Dooley roundabout,before Tracto and then subsequently Loadwell and Goodways.

John Stringer then went on to become general manager at DFDS Transport in Harwich.

Goaty:
My Dad is to blame for me becoming a driver :wink: . A familiar tale to many on here, school holidays etc spent in a wagon, loved every minute of it . Before landing, in his own words " my best ever driving job" at Tolemans

Then your dad probably knows Paul Rowlands here on Tnet (maybe he is your dad■■?) and my brother,Mick Williams,(who isn’t).

Machin’s office used to be in Walton ave in Fxt, where the Fuelserv (now RED) is in what looked like a series of portakabins. Iirc there was a crappy old yard at the back with workshops and I think they parked a few there as well before they took on the yard at no 2 gate. Charles Garn was transport manager there with if iirc Dawn Furze (now at MSC).

My first artic was on Goodways (bit of an eye opener ! :open_mouth: ) and they still had Lyons road at that point.

From there I went to work for HTL at Fxt which rebranded as DFDS Transport with the infamous mr Stringer. I later had a long 6 weeks for him at Magnus and left by mutual agreement ! :laughing:

Dad’s name was David Godby, we lost the old boy in October 2002. Mr Rowlands is still a good family friend and I do pop round when life permits to raid his teabag store and burn some old diesel ! :laughing:

KW:

Goaty:
My Dad is to blame for me becoming a driver :wink: . A familiar tale to many on here, school holidays etc spent in a wagon, loved every minute of it . Before landing, in his own words " my best ever driving job" at Tolemans

Then your dad probably knows Paul Rowlands here on Tnet (maybe he is your dad■■?) and my brother,Mick Williams,(who isn’t).

A frightening thought that :open_mouth: even more so for Paul :laughing: . I don’t know your brother but I do know the name. Is he still at Bawdsey Haulage ?

Goaty:
A frightening thought that :open_mouth: even more so for Paul :laughing: . I don’t know your brother but I do know the name. Is he still at Bawdsey Haulage ?

Yes he’s still at Bawdsey Haulage,got a 480 XL Globetrotter.

When were you at Goodways?

KW:

Goaty:

Mid '97 iirc, I had an MAN N748FJN. Bit after your time though I think Keith.Then I started on HTL april '98.

Goaty:

KW:

Goaty:

Mid '97 iirc, I had an MAN N748FJN. Bit after your time though I think Keith.Then I started on HTL april '98.

I rather think so,I left in 1991.