Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

Buzzer in 1965 i started driving cattle trucks for S.T.CHALLS OF BADBY ,NEAR DAVENTRY PART OF C.BUTTS of NORTHAMPTON
i lived 8 miles from BANBURY AND THURSDAY WAS A BUSY DAY anyone who drove back then would know that a 15+ hour day was the norm.
all export LIVE walk on barren cows went via sheerness to BELGUIM FRANS BUTALAR WAS THE MAIN MAN. if you did not like driving back then you would have got out straight away ,covered in all kinds of animal ■■■■■ /■■■■ was the norm…when the cattle were penned up at the markets before auction you as drivers had to get in the pens with the cattle and take the ear numbers you had to hold the [septum] the piece a bull has his nose ring in, to keep them still -ish when you had done that you were covered in ■■■■■ while you mate twisted their tail worse end ,plus getting trod on

. you had to do leave about 6pm for sheerness arriving before midnight, a Leyland COMET battries under you seat,eaton 2 speed button scamel coupling, vacum brakes a lever down by your right hand on the floor that was the trail brake dead man PULLING A 33FOOT OPEN TOP TRAILER wooden slated sides [like a tilt without a cover ]with a gate in the middle wood floor with 3x2 ribs in about 18 beast in side anyone following would be getting sprayed with you know what esp down the M1northampton TO M1 to DARTFORD then the M2 TURN FOR SHEERNES after no wash etc sleeping a few hours on the bonnet with coats and blankets back for another day or somtimes you would turn round and head back, haa good old days ehh. night out money was paid either way 12 sillings i think not much more.and the moderen driver complain.dbp