Tescos Swap Shop

Was thinking today about delivering to Tescos in the early 70s, not much different to London or Liverpool docks.
Long queues outside and up to 4 or 5 hours waiting to tip.

The one big difference though, we were all loaded with easily exchangeable goods that would otherwise be part of our weekly shop.

IIRC most drivers knowing they were on Tescos would park a bit away from the yard/factory so that they could drop off the ‘Weekly Shop’ before going back in the yard to log off.

So you have a queue of lorries with disgruntled drivers trying to pass the time, not surprising that ‘Pass the Parcel’ became the pastime to while away the hours in the queue.

The other thing I remember, exchanges weren’t based on value but by the box, so you could swap a carton of biscuits for a carton of butter etc. etc.

I remember being parked behind Tate & Lyle once and getting a year’s supply of granulated sugar in exchange for a box of Custard Creams :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

You know the old saying ‘it fell off the back of a lorry’ Them days are long gone

Had a full load of Wheatabix for all the NAAFI stores around Catterick, Darlington Newcastle and Northumberland and got to Last drop and forklift driver signed for three pallets but there where four left so I had a full pallet of Wheatabix to drop of at home and we had Wheatabix for breakfast for months ,cant stand the stuff now ,