Mothers Pride Bread Vans

flishflunk:
Sorry to hear Ken Grantham is suffering with COPD, will you pass on my regards and wish him all the best. My dad used to smoke Capstan Full strength and he died when I was 9. My mother smoked Woodbines and she died when I was 16. They both sadly died of lung related illnesses.
I cannot name many drivers and van lads that did not smoke. Can you remember the black soot ingrained on buildings and the regular fogs smog and pea supers? in the 1950s 60s.
Not seen many Brooke’s drivers since leaving 1970 including Bill Willkie. I am sure Alan Tuckers son Mel and Bob Healy also worked with Ken Grantham at LHD.
I met Mel Tucker on the road about 1976. I had seen Vinnie Moran relief driver about 1980; he was a driver on a Trafford council highways wagon. Must have been about 1970s about 5 am in the morning I was driving along Washway Road sale. Spotted Harry Buck delivering milk and had a chat. Not sure if this was the time the Bakery had closed and moved to Champions Stockport and may be Harry was offered redundancy. Harry being management at Brookes seemed very happy delivering milk. Frank Berry’s van lad Martin McDonnell was my best man at my wedding. Not seen Martin and his wife Christine since we moved to Norfolk 1984.
I worked for Smith and Robinsons Tankers, Taylor Road Urmston, Sam Bates lad Alan left Brookes about 1966 and worked for BRS parcels White City. Soon after he started as a Tanker driver at Smith and Robinsons, I was made redundant from S&Rs 1984. Mike Bond worked for then CPC Corn Products, Think it changed name to Celestar and now Cargill’s. me and my wife met up a few times with Mike Bond and his wife Carol at the Con Club at Patricroft. Mike later became CPCs welfare officer. Mike did a lot of flying of light aircraft and gliding with Bill Pickersgill at Barton Aerodrome.
I worked for KRAFT HUMKO Trafford Park on road Tankers and one of the bosses was brother to Harry Sanderson. Met Harry a few times at his Local Chassen Road Urmston but for the life of me cannot think of the name of it, must have closed years ago.

The only pub I remember on Chassen road was the Roebuck on the corner of Church road. As far as I am aware it’s still open. Joseph Holt beers.

Thanks for info Ray about the Roebuck. I used to see many Priestners and Shell Mex BP tanker drivers top of the mile Road Carrington call in the Roebuck for a few pints. I am sure that was after they finished their shift. If I parked up at Sandbach or Knutsford services I was always guaranteed a lift from a Priestners motor. You will remember most were hauling Manchester Liner Containers or powder tankers Shell Carrington carrying plastics.
I used to drink in the Melville Barton Road (Holts) We moved to a new estate near the ferry at Flixton about 1973. Our local was the railway Tavern. Kev

2017-06-07%2017.56.01[1].jpg