Mothers Pride Bread Vans

I was a van lad at Skeleton road started there when I was 15 1965 - 1967,I was on the withington/Levenshulme round in those 2 years I worked with 3 different drivers Ken Collins,Brian Murphy and big Bill Kelly.Ken Collins worked in the bookies facing the bakery in the afternoons marking the board and he was good friends with Shay Brennan who played for Man United and he would get us stand tickets for The home games. When Ken left he started his own bread and cakes round he called it Bill and Ken the muffin men.

Sorry meant to say Skerton rd

beanie:
The 4 large Reliance Electric bread van solds to Lancashire Hygienic Dairies.
I was at LHD or just Lancashire Dairies as it was from 1994 to the demise in 2002. A bloke called Kenny Grantham told us younger lads that he drove one of these in the late 60s around Manchester.
Other ex Mothers Pride drivers at LD from Salford bakery were Alan Marsh, Charlie Whitehead, Bernard Brannick and Billy Peel.
These fellas, with the exception of the late Billy Peel, are all in their 70s now. They always reminisced about working at Trafford, Salford or Farnworth bakery.
Bernard took me to work at Wigan bakery on Cale Lane for Alan Stone, late 2002.

Hi I was Ken Grantham’s van lad at Mothers Pride in 1965-69 M round Moss Side great bloke early 20’s he was then drove a petrol FG Best working days of my life , he drove a white Ford Consul 375 and lived in Levenshulme.

I lived at 136 Skerton Road and started as a Saturday van lad about 1960 for the retail side Craig’s Pantry Wythenshawe area. 1961/62 started at Mothers Pride full time 1964 and left about 1971, 72. Ken Grantham’s father in-law was Les Smales who was a spare driver who lived Chorlton area. Before the FG Ken used to drive a stub nosed Austin Loadstar K2 type in the old colours of Yellow with red writing. Denis Parton also covered the Moss Side, Longsight area and remember he used to meet up with Ken for a pint or three before returning to the bakery. Pop Insley was the transport manager and after he retired replaced by Mr Henley. George Daniels was the assistant transport manager. About 1962 I was a Saturday lad for Mike Bond round AK covering Irlam o the Heights Worsley Swinton Walkden areas. Mike Bond asked my name “Kevin” for reason he called me Keith and that name stuck until I left about 1972. I was on journey DA driving an Morris LH then FG around the Peak District from 1968 until 1971. Jeff Boot ex Duncan and Fosters driver had taken over my journey.
Regards Kev Morrow

taxijeff:
I was a van lad at Skeleton road started there when I was 15 1965 - 1967,I was on the withington/Levenshulme round in those 2 years I worked with 3 different drivers Ken Collins,Brian Murphy and big Bill Kelly.Ken Collins worked in the bookies facing the bakery in the afternoons marking the board and he was good friends with Shay Brennan who played for Man United and he would get us stand tickets for The home games. When Ken left he started his own bread and cakes round he called it Bill and Ken the muffin men.

When I was a Saturday lad I worked one day for big Bill Kelly. When we had finished before returning to the bakery we went to his house at Stretford. I had the pleasure of having a meal with his family which was a large plate of Irish Pestle “Boiled Bacon leg” and Cabbage and soda Bread. Washed down with a few bottles of stout. My parents were from Ireland and Boiled Bacon and Cabbage was part of the staple diet and guess what was for dinner when I got home.

Bill’s brother Pat worked for Brookes some years later.

I also worked on AF round with Bill Wilkie it covered The whit Lane area of Salford. We used to drink in the Windsor pub op the weighbridge near broad st and cross lane.

valleychallenger:
I also worked on AF round with Bill Wilkie it covered The whit Lane area of Salford. We used to drink in the Windsor pub op the weighbridge near broad st and cross lane.

I think he went to Moore’s Bakery Fitzwarren St Salford the old Hanky park Pendleton area.

valleychallenger:

valleychallenger:

I think he went to Moore’s Bakery Fitzwarren St Salford the old Hanky park Pendleton area.

Another blast from the past “Bill Wilkie”. I must have left Brookes early 1971 as I remember it was about the same time as decimalisation was introduced. I expect not many drivers kept their last invoice pads and folder for 50 years.
Regards Kev

very true… also the more i look at that map i see a elephant wearing a top hat… anybody else see it :open_mouth: :wink:

m.a.n rules:
very true… also the more i look at that map i see a elephant wearing a top hat… anybody else see it :open_mouth: :wink:

Could be a Womble

Suedehead:

m.a.n rules:

Could be a Womble

even more so, orinoco maybe… :smiley:

Started as a van boy 1961 in Coventry not long after MP took over Savages Bakery, vehicles then where Ford D on wholesale and Morrisons and Brush electrics and BMC on retail. Later they moved to Stonebridge Highway into what was at the time the most modern bakery in Europe. Like most big bakeries it closed down eventually after losing money

kevmorrow:
I lived at 136 Skerton Road and started as a Saturday van lad about 1960 for the retail side Craig’s Pantry Wythenshawe area. 1961/62 started at Mothers Pride full time 1964 and left about 1971, 72. Ken Grantham’s father-in-law was Les Smales who was a spare driver who lived Chorlton area. Before the FG Ken used to drive a stub-nosed Austin Loadstar K2 type in the old colours of Yellow with red writing. Denis Parton also covered the Moss Side, Longsight area, and remember he used to meet up with Ken for a pint or three before returning to the bakery. Pop Insley was the transport manager and after he retired replaced by Mr. Henley. George Daniels was the assistant transport manager. About 1962 I was a Saturday lad for Mike Bond round AK covering Irlam o the Heights Worsley Swinton Walkden areas. Mike Bond asked my name “Kevin” for some reason he called me Keith and that name stuck until I left about 1972. I was on journey DA driving a Morris LH then FG around the Peak District from 1968 until 1971. Jeff Boot ex Duncan and Fosters driver had taken over my journey.
Regards Kev Morrow

I remember Craigs Pantry vans doing the rounds in Marple, it would have been the mid to late sixties IIRC.

We all used to crowd around the van hoping to get a Freebie, never got anything !

kevmorrow:

valleychallenger:

valleychallenger:

Another blast from the past “Bill Wilkie”. I must have left Brookes early 1971 as I remember it was about the same time as decimalisation was introduced. I expect not many drivers kept their last invoice pads and folder for 50 years.
Regards Kev

Any news of Bill WILKIE Kev? I spoke to Ken Grantham yesterday he is 80 now and not in good health he has COPD from smoking Three Castles as i remember orrrible things too strong for me at 15 he was then 25. He is also having trouble with blood clots in his legs and uses walking sticks does not seem right i remember him as a fit young man. he’s been retired from LHD for 20 years.

valleychallenger:

kevmorrow:

valleychallenger:

valleychallenger:

Regards Kev

Any news of Bill WILKIE Kev? I spoke to Ken Grantham yesterday he is 80 now and not in good health he has COPD from smoking Three Castles as i remember orrrible things too strong for me at 15 he was then 25. He is also having trouble with blood clots in his legs and uses walking sticks does not seem right i remember him as a fit young man. he’s been retired from LHD for 20 years.

Sorry to hear Ken Grantham is suffering with COPD, will you pass on my regards and wish him all the best. My dad used to smoke Capstan Full strength and he died when I was 9. My mother smoked Woodbines and she died when I was 16. They both sadly died of lung related illnesses.
I cannot name many drivers and van lads that did not smoke. Can you remember the black soot ingrained on buildings and the regular fogs smog and pea supers? in the 1950s 60s.
Not seen many Brooke’s drivers since leaving 1970 including Bill Willkie. I am sure Alan Tuckers son Mel and Bob Healy also worked with Ken Grantham at LHD.
I met Mel Tucker on the road about 1976. I had seen Vinnie Moran relief driver about 1980; he was a driver on a Trafford council highways wagon. Must have been about 1970s about 5 am in the morning I was driving along Washway Road sale. Spotted Harry Buck delivering milk and had a chat. Not sure if this was the time the Bakery had closed and moved to Champions Stockport and may be Harry was offered redundancy. Harry being management at Brookes seemed very happy delivering milk. Frank Berry’s van lad Martin McDonnell was my best man at my wedding. Not seen Martin and his wife Christine since we moved to Norfolk 1984.
I worked for Smith and Robinsons Tankers, Taylor Road Urmston, Sam Bates lad Alan left Brookes about 1966 and worked for BRS parcels White City. Soon after he started as a Tanker driver at Smith and Robinsons, I was made redundant from S&Rs 1984. Mike Bond worked for then CPC Corn Products, Think it changed name to Celestar and now Cargill’s. me and my wife met up a few times with Mike Bond and his wife Carol at the Con Club at Patricroft. Mike later became CPCs welfare officer. Mike did a lot of flying of light aircraft and gliding with Bill Pickersgill at Barton Aerodrome.
I worked for KRAFT HUMKO Trafford Park on road Tankers and one of the bosses was brother to Harry Sanderson. Met Harry a few times at his Local Chassen Road Urmston but for the life of me cannot think of the name of it, must have closed years ago.

robthedog:

Hi Rob and Valleychallenger
Smart looking Bread Van. The F series threepenny bit cabs were ideal for easy shop deliveries.
When I was about 12 or 13, I visited a relative in Ireland. She worked for Bolands Bread later years taken over by Jacobs biscuits. My mother asked me to visit her as she was not up to the journey and in poor health. I was still at school, I had taken the bus one Monday evening from Old Trafford to Victoria Station and train arrived Hollyhead ferry to Dun Laoghaire arrived about 8 am. Next Day I was going to work a couple of days at Bolands Bread Dublin but there was some union troubles. Next day I worked at Peter Lyons Drogheda Dublin for three days as a van lad and paid double what I would of made at Brookes. The photos of Peter Lyons vans taken about mid 1970s but I remember the vans about 1964 were similar to Mothers Pride old colours yellowish and red. Peter Lyons had only just started trading but it was a great firm to work for. Got back home to Old Trafford Manchester Friday and I was working at Brookes Old Trafford Saturday morning.
Kev

Bolands.jpg

Bolands 2.jpg

Nothing to do with Mothers Pride vans but this was the first truck that I ever drove - at the age of 15. The Clydebank Co-op used them for milk deliveries and I used to do a milk round before school. Our driver had a bit on the side that he used to visit on a Saturday morning leaving me and my mate alone with the vehicle. In 1972 there wasn’t a lot of traffic about on the streets at that time of the morning so we used to take the truck for a joy ride.

Brings back lots of great memories.

Sorry to hear Ken Grantham is suffering with COPD, will you pass on my regards and wish him all the best. My dad used to smoke Capstan Full strength and he died when I was 9. My mother smoked Woodbines and she died when I was 16. They both sadly died of lung related illnesses.
I cannot name many drivers and van lads that did not smoke. Can you remember the black soot ingrained on buildings and the regular fogs smog and pea supers? in the 1950s 60s.
Not seen many Brooke’s drivers since leaving 1970 including Bill Willkie. I am sure Alan Tuckers son Mel and Bob Healy also worked with Ken Grantham at LHD.
I met Mel Tucker on the road about 1976. I had seen Vinnie Moran relief driver about 1980; he was a driver on a Trafford council highways wagon. Must have been about 1970s about 5 am in the morning I was driving along Washway Road sale. Spotted Harry Buck delivering milk and had a chat. Not sure if this was the time the Bakery had closed and moved to Champions Stockport and may be Harry was offered redundancy. Harry being management at Brookes seemed very happy delivering milk. Frank Berry’s van lad Martin McDonnell was my best man at my wedding. Not seen Martin and his wife Christine since we moved to Norfolk 1984.
I worked for Smith and Robinsons Tankers, Taylor Road Urmston, Sam Bates lad Alan left Brookes about 1966 and worked for BRS parcels White City. Soon after he started as a Tanker driver at Smith and Robinsons, I was made redundant from S&Rs 1984. Mike Bond worked for then CPC Corn Products, Think it changed name to Celestar and now Cargill’s. me and my wife met up a few times with Mike Bond and his wife Carol at the Con Club at Patricroft. Mike later became CPCs welfare officer. Mike did a lot of flying of light aircraft and gliding with Bill Pickersgill at Barton Aerodrome.
I worked for KRAFT HUMKO Trafford Park on road Tankers and one of the bosses was brother to Harry Sanderson. Met Harry a few times at his Local Chassen Road Urmston but for the life of me cannot think of the name of it, must have closed years ago.
[/quote]
The only pub I remember on Chassen road was the Roebuck on the corner of Church road. As far as I am aware it’s still open. Joseph Holt beers.

Ray

flishflunk:

The only pub I remember on Chassen road was the Roebuck on the corner of Church road. As far as I am aware it’s still open. Joseph Holt beers.

Thanks for info Ray about the Roebuck. I used to see many Priestners and Shell Mex BP tanker drivers top of the mile Road Carrington call in the Roebuck for a few pints. I am sure that was after they finished their shift. If I parked up at Sandbach or Knutsford services I was always guaranteed a lift from a Priestners motor. You will remember most were hauling Manchester Liner Containers or powder tankers Shell Carrington carrying plastics.
I used to drink in the Melville Barton Road (Holts) We moved to a new estate near the ferry at Flixton about 1973. Our local was the railway Tavern. Kev

2017-06-07%2017.56.01[1].jpg