Buses, coaches, & lorries

ERF-NGC-European:

Dennis Javelin:

ERF-NGC-European:
Well I can date the change from comfy old buses to brash new ones at around 1970. I went away to college that year in Eastbourne. Eastbourne Corporation was still running elderly AEC Regent 111s and Regal single-deckers (as well as PD2s and Regent Vs) but it had just introduced the new generation of OMO single-deckers. I was appalled at the difference in comfort, ride and driving characteristics. Gone was the smooth pull-away from halt, for a start. And the noise was deafening. Shortly afterwards, the Leyland National plagued the nation and they were the worst of the lot IMHO.

A Daimler Roadliner alongside a Leyland Panther and Panther Cub (ex Leyland demonstrator I think). Their fleet engineer must have been on drugs. Either that or he was partial to the odd brown envelope :wink: :wink:

:laughing: :laughing:

I remember a Daimler single deck demonstrator turning up at Birmingham City Transport, Selly Oak Depot.
It had a ■■■■■■■ Vee 6 at the rear, well whatever it was called, it should never have been allowed out.
In fact, i am inclined to think it escaped and Daimler where not too keen on having it back.
I only shunted it around the depot and my abiding memory was the sound of several empty dustbins being dragged
behind it and a haze of blue smoke in its wake.!!