Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

toshboy:

Spardo:

essexpete:
As someone suggested: three chaps and a rope.

I must have been very lucky with my first motors and also came in at the end of that era because I only have one memory of starting heavy engines by the handle. Somewhere in the eastern counties I overnighted with my Albion at a transport cafe/digs and was called outside by the older blokes before breakfast to go round all the handles with a rope starting all the wagons that needed it. They were then left ticking over, causing a large cloud to hover over the neighbourhood, while we all then went back in to our full English. :smiley:

My first real introduction to the Brotherhood of the Road. :smiley:

You missed the good old days then , :laughing: i also remember in the worst of winters that some inconsiderate drivers would leave the engines running all night to save that chore in the mornings . these days they leave on their fridge units ,dont they ?-- — toshboy

I used to run the motor all night, but not in company, laybys only, but that was for warmth (very little from a Gardner) and, in those days of exhaust pipes just under the driver’s door, risked not freezing to death but suffocation. :unamused: