No more new smart motorways

paul_c2:
If its okay, I’ll share a recent breakdown on a “smart” motorway - specifically the M25 anticlockwise, from J25 to J24. Its an all-lanes-running section of 4 lanes, but with about 6 feet to the left of lane 1 in concrete and then about 8 feet of grassy area (see pic). The van I was driving lit some dash warning lights, then shortly after went into “limp home” mode resulting in 30mph max speed. (Hopefully the pic illustrates). Even though there was a yellow “emergency bay” 450yds ahead, I wasn’t able to safely make this, with HGVs behind, so I pretty much immediately pulled over onto the available area, as much to the left as possible (ie onto the grass). I am grateful for the earlier suggestion in this thread for doing that, and not worrying about possibly getting stuck on the grass.

Within about 20 mins, Highways Agency had arrived and fended off the rear, I was able to drive at 30mph to the emergency bay (in limp mode). Whilst the on-the-grass initial position was definitely “dodgy”, I’d not describe it as especially unsafe, and it didn’t seem to affect traffic flow. I have no ideas if eg “60 mph” or “obstruction” boards were lit behind me though. I guess they were when HA came. But I was lucky - there’s many other smart motorway areas where there isn’t such a generous are to the left hand side. Also the weather was great, so no worries about leaving the vehicle and getting up the bank a bit.

Spot on common sense that mate, used your loaf and got the vehicle safely off ‘the road to hell’ as the song goes.

How many times have spent ages in queues inching along to the pinch point where a bit of nous used (fine example above) as the vehicle came to a juddering halt getting it off the road could have made everyone’s life a bit easier, as well as safer for the disabled vehicle and its passengers.