Tipper hits gantry M5 near Bristol

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-64822217

Forgive my ignorance but how is this possible as I thought that there would be some sort of buzzer going off to say the body is lifted??

Perhaps…

If they fitted mirrors to tippers, this sort of thing might be avoided?

No problem, leave the body where it is and go and pick a box up as the driver has just created himself a thirty five foot skelly.

I am surprised at how tough those gantries are.

*Darn autocorrect just tried to change gantries to ■■■■■■■:)

Pay peanuts get monkeys :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
And at least he’s not got far to go for is no Tea and biscuits :unamused:

Surely these things have alarms in the cab to stop this :open_mouth:

That gantry is laughing at the bridge on the M20

drover:

No need for an alarm if the tipper body can be locked down to stop it being raised from inside the cab when driving, but… I don’t know if a truck like that would prevent you from driving without it being locked down.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool :laughing:

It’s happened but poor drivers the traffic is gonna be horrendous.

drover:

I did hear about a bloke who disconnected the buzzer/ alarm etc as it kept going off for no reason, he took out a footbridge near me after reaching for his ■■■■ and accidently knocked the tipper switch.

I laughed at this twitter post:

On scene of an RTC #M5 Bristol officers issued tickets to 8 drivers who thought it ok to use their phone while driving past. 1 driver, already on 9 points is likely to be disqualified now as taking a photo of the collision was more important than continuing their journey safely.

Travelling back to Gloucester from Port Talbot, massive queue on the bridge, waiting to come off for the M49…

Stupid queue jumpers stopped in the middle lane, which is a live lane of the M4 trying to push in!

Some ■■■■ decided it was a good idea to just pull out of the queue in front of me with no indication, good job I was watching them and travelling slower than the speed limit!!!

Just been told Severn bridge is now closed for the air ambulance!!

I’ve made some almighty f ups in my time but I’ll never understand how someone can seemingly drive so far without once looking in the mirrors.

Cant see how its happened unless there has been some tinkering going on or was never lowered right down when leaving site.

As far as I am aware, the PTO on Scanias is auto turned off when the gearbox is put in drive (they seem to run an all scania fleet). Certainly was on the wag and drag brick crane I used to drive. Daf unit on bulk tippers was the same so no matter what you did with the pto switch or tip lever it wouldnt raise on its own when driving.

Possibly bypassed as could be a bit of a pain when tipping, wanting to roll forward while lifting the last bit and in a rut or the old timesaver of starting the body lifting while still backing into position to save 3 micro seconds :unamused:

The Volvo I drove would only let you crawl forward or back if the PTO was in so at least you could ease away from the heap. Certainly wouldn’t have let you wang the gantry like that. Our Scanias were similar.
No roadworks on the motorway that he might have tipped off at and then forgotten to drop the buck (until the gantry reminded him!)

switchlogic:
I’ve made some almighty f ups in my time but I’ll never understand how someone can seemingly drive so far without once looking in the mirrors.

This says a lot .

switchlogic:

Also isn’t there usually a window in the back of tipper cabs, surely you would notice a change in the light/hear it

At least there is a motorway you can use to get round this, also a spare for the M4 bridge closure luckily, not that the alternatives are that great. Also, someone actually asked on the Bristol Post website earlier if he had been driving with the back up!

Must of got the of there life when it made impact sheared the body right off must of obviously left a site and not dropped the body , I wonder what Bollix they will come up with now for tipper wagons to warn the driver probably a separate cpc course or training card .

To be fair this doesn’t happen very often now Grab wagons are usually more culprit as drivers forget to lower the crane after tipping .