Tipper hits gantry M5 near Bristol

drover:
Surely these things have alarms in the cab to stop this :open_mouth:

I drove tippers for over twenty years and never came across an alarm on one. The last new one I had used to disconnect the pto if you tried to move it while it was engaged which was a blooming nuisance when you were trying to spread material over a distance. :unamused: We had a few that hit gantries etc in the quarry or bridges on sites after tipping but never anything as high as the M5 one! :slight_smile:

Pete.

Snudger:
someone actually asked on the Bristol Post website earlier if he had been driving with the back up!

I really hope somebody replied ā€œno, it was fully downā€. :unamused:

Did nobody drive along side him and try and get his attention and warn him?!

mbax81:
Did nobody drive along side him and try and get his attention and warn him?!

Donā€™t you mean get their camera ready for the bang? Thatā€™s the world we live in now unfortunately, people would rather get a video of things than help someone avoid a problem even if it puts lives at risk.

If he was driving with it up. You would of thought other drivers would of.phonned 999. or at least rang the company number if there was one on the truck.
to warm them. But as above people would rather just film it instead of using there brains

Did hear the police are asking for any dashcam footage .so hopefully be loads out there for them to see what happened.
But I always thought every motorway was covered in CCTV? so they should have it on there system and why didnā€™t the operator notice anything wrong then.

edd1974:
But I always thought every motorway was covered in CCTV? so they should have it on there system and why didnā€™t the operator notice anything wrong then.

Iā€™m guessingā€¦

They donā€™t actually watch the screens 24/7. This incident kinda illustrates that might be the case.

They more likely to take action when a 999 call comes in or Joe Public rings from a motorway phone (remember those?)

I have never used a tipper trailor but the rigid tippers i drove all had 2 switches to move to make it tip

Raker:
To be fair this doesnā€™t happen very often now Grab wagons are usually more culprit as drivers forget to lower the crane after tipping .

^^and this is precisely what happened I have inside information from someone who knows he drove off after tipping in the raised position.

Theyā€™ve announced that they are going to close the motorway this weekend so they can get a crane in and remove the gantry

bald bloke:
^^and this is precisely what happened I have inside information from someone who knows he drove off after tipping in the raised position.

Do they know how he didnā€™t noticed the wind resistance or presumably rocking effect having it raised that much? Guessing it canā€™t gave gone far as there are a lot of gantries on the M5 these days.

trevHCS:

bald bloke:

Do they know how he didnā€™t noticed the wind resistance or presumably rocking effect having it raised that much? Guessing it canā€™t gave gone far as there are a lot of gantries on the M5 these days.

Looks like he came on at cribbs , as thereā€™s some building work just going on just off that junction , caused me a right pain in the arse yesterday

trevHCS:

bald bloke:

The driver tipped locally and hit the first gantry apparently.

bald bloke:

trevHCS:

bald bloke:

Youā€™re obviously using the term very loosely. How can anyone drive more than a few hundred yards, without looking in the mirror?

Star down under.:

bald bloke:

trevHCS:

bald bloke:

Youā€™re obviously using the term very loosely. How can anyone drive more than a few hundred yards, without looking in the mirror?

Less than half a mile from the scene of the crime !!

Itā€™ll be interesting to know how much the total bill for it all will be ?

bald bloke:
Less than half a mile from the scene of the crime !!

Indefensible tbh. I suspect that you are like me BB, and every other driver who prides him/herself on being professional; Iā€™m checking my mirrors before I press the loud pedal to set off and once I do Iā€™m constantly scanning them for anything untoward until i relax a little once Iā€™m at cruising speed. Even then Iā€™d be surprised if I go more than four seconds without scanning the mirrors and the dashboard.

You gotta be pretty ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  dim to drive along & not notice is still up in the air! Even if he joined at cribs he would have still had to of turned at the roundabout! Surely you would feel something wasnā€™t right :open_mouth:
Hang on who was it dopey is on for now? :laughing: :laughing:

What will the driver be facing, from a criminal perspective? Loss of license and a big fine for a start?

bald bloke:
Itā€™ll be interesting to know how much the total bill for it all will be ?

Iā€™d hate to think how much it will cost just for the crane hire this weekend to remove the gantry, let alone the road closure for the whole weekend

See the likes of that and the motorway having to be closed both ways and all the hassle that ensues etc etc:

Does the firm involved get fined by Highways Agency for such a cluster F like that or is it just left up to Police/DVSA to decide!!!

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

It was a new driver had not been working for the firm that long

Just tipped at a site near Morrisons in Cribbs Causeway, got back on the M5 southbound and that was the first ā€˜lowā€™ object he (almost) went under

That firm is a bunch of fly by knights as far as Iā€™m concerned, and they pay their drivers by the load, therefore encouraging people to rush rush rush

Why in Gods name didnā€™t the driver take any notice of his mirrors, or people beeping and or flashing at him - unless nobody botheredā€¦ just filmed the aftermath