Driving ballast truck for crane

Im looking at going to drive a heavy haulage ballast truck for a crane what’s the pros and cons about the job .

Talk to Rikki-UK on here, he’s on for the grubby blue lot.

Didn’t you talk to them about it? I’ve spent some time with a local crane and ballast transport haulier; they weren’t the type to just take the first person that comes along, being very clear about the type of person they would recruit and the type of driving they would be doing and the work that goes into every movement operation.

The pros would seem to be: good money, well planned routes, no haring around like a bluearsed fly.
The cons would all seem to be in the selection process - you have to be the right kind of person, you may be away from home a lot which suits some but not others, and you need to be able to use the old grey matter to do the job properly and safely.

Lucy:
grubby blue lot.

:question: Que?

A reference to a certain “farm”?
EDIT: hmmm… Collet, Metcalf, MT Haulage - all heavy haulage, all blue livery, you’ve got me wondering now.

^^^ that’ll be Sarens I reckon.

Lucy:

Ask him if Gordon is still on there, ex Econofreight. Good lad, lightweight drinker :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

the maoster:

Lucy:

Ask him if Gordon is still on there, ex Econofreight. Good lad, lightweight drinker :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

No Gordies retired now,

Ah right, pass my regards to him if you speak please Rikki.

dominic:
Im looking at going to drive a heavy haulage ballast truck for a crane what’s the pros and cons about the job .

I have had a chat with Dominic via private message with specific details but for general consumption-
Cons
Its not a job for those who like to rack up the miles and push on- decent companies will insist on 40mph max when loaded- not only the legal limit at those weights, 40 mph also stops tyres blowing. you will spend a lot of time parked up due to abnormal load embargoes around most major cities you cant move 6.30 am- 9.30 am and 3.30 pm - 6.30 pm.
Its not a job for those who don’t like sitting around- you can spend days sometimes weeks sitting waiting for a crane that’s been delayed doing a lift, or waiting for permits to work before you can get it into site
Its not a job for those who dislike petty rules, HSE can be extreme when doing heavy lifts to the point of almost making the job undoable.
Its not a job for those who like a predictable home time- you can leave for a simple job on Monday expecting to be home Friday and be out for two three weeks if not more at very short notice.
Bling Dont expect a 750 or V8 all chromed spotlighted truck, these are own account fleet vehicles, 500-540 bhp is the norm- extras are as low as a decent inverter for example my current truck is a 540 FMX 6x4 with hub reduction, although we do have FH’s and MAN XXL’s

Pros - these only apply to the “more professional companies”- not all crane companies are the same
Money on the decent firms your probably going to be close to the top end of wages in the haulage sector but will be away from home a lot to get it
You not pushed - 40 mph, abnormal load bans are all taken into account when routed and the amount of travel time your given is more than adequate to have as many coffee breaks as you like
Parking is either free or paid at MSA’s and you also have access to use the abload laybys ( as long as notified to highways). If your out for a couple weeks and need a 45 you should be offered a hotel
Sat nav Dont need it, in fact DO NOT USE IT, you will have an approved route (movement order) don’t get caught off it as it will get very expensive
Small world if you on for one of the lesser companies, the ballast driver world is quite small and we talk to each other cross company a fair bit and when vacancies on the better companies comes up its usually filled by word of mouth, so if your already in the game you have a far greater chance of bagging a decent job

the maoster:
Ah right, pass my regards to him if you speak please Rikki.

I will do I worked with him at Econo- he may be retired but he does a day shift occasionally for Brian and comes in to our yard to load

Rikki-UK:
If your out for a couple weeks and need a 45 you should be offered a hotel

That’s now more than just a “should”, it’s a legal obligation on the operator under (EU) 2020/1054 legislation, and not just for heavy haulage, it applies to ordinary trampers who are out for weeks at a time.

To add to Rikki’s post…If you have a spouse, they need to be someone who’s happy to get on with their own life, which you’ll just dip in and out of unannounced.

In our case it’s easier because we’ve done it the other way around as well - for the first 10 years of our marriage I was tramping while Rik worked from home. But in that scenario my reappearance was predictable, whereas Rik once left the house to do a job which involved being away for a fortnight then didn’t actually return until two months later!

Seriously, this isn’t a job for those with anything other than rock solid main relationships.

Zac_A:

Rikki-UK:

That’s now more than just a “should”, it’s a legal obligation on the operator under (EU) 2020/1054 legislation, and not just for heavy haulage, it applies to ordinary trampers who are out for weeks at a time.

True but not enforced in the UK (so far)

Lucy:
To add to Rikki’s post…If you have a spouse, they need to be someone who’s happy to get on with their own life, which you’ll just dip in and out of unannounced.

In our case it’s easier because we’ve done it the other way around as well - for the first 10 years of our marriage I was tramping while Rik worked from home. But in that scenario my reappearance was predictable, whereas Rik once left the house to do a job which involved being away for a fortnight then didn’t actually return until two months later!

Seriously, this isn’t a job for those with anything other than rock solid main relationships.

Who are you? I am married? :slight_smile: seriously you do need a relationship whereby both cope with the separation, both me and Lucy have done the being away working thing- I can imagine those with partners who don’t expect to be living somewhat independently will find it difficult

Rikki-UK:

Zac_A:

Rikki-UK:

True but not enforced in the UK (so far)

Put it this way, in the current climate where both OTC and DVSA are (at times quite literally) making it up as they go along, I for one would not risk infringing something that is actually written down in black and white. Not that it affects me, my guys are home every night.

DVSA chose to selectively interpret the above legislation to enforce the “recording of all activities” which could be a nice little earner for them, and has already been so for the various outfits who jumped on the scaremongering band wagon selling ridiculously expensive courses which are really worth no more than a 15 minute Toolbox Talk

“Yes, I’m talking to you laddie, RHA, hiding at the back of the classroom thinking I can’t see what you’re doing, and your mate BHJ as well, you thieving little scrotes” :imp:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Zac_A:
[
Put it this way, in the current climate where both OTC and DVSA are (at times quite literally) making it up as they go along,

Cant agree more, the current clampdown on STGO loads is beyond just going for the cowboys, we have had reputable hauliers stopped and fined because their STGO plate is faded/sunbleached :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: company local to us got parked up as he was using Euro style Square marker boards on a wide load instead of triangular markers until his boss sent him a link to show the traffic officer that actually euro boards are acceptable, as far as the 45 hour rule our understanding is in the UK if the driver requests a hotel it must be provided, however having a 45 in the cab is acceptable to DVSA as long as it is in a place that has toilets,showers, hot food e.g not a layby or industrial estate

I would like Thank everyone for taking the time with all your advise and very good advise at that .

I could be mistaken but Sarens maybe needing a new crane as there’s one on fire on the M1 near Sheffield.

Edit: it was a Sarens crane

Rikki-UK:

the maoster:

Lucy:

No Gordies retired now,

Rikki, is that Gordon Wragg you’re talking about? Regards Kev.

peirre:
I could be mistaken but Sarens maybe needing a new crane as there’s one on fire on the M1 near Sheffield.

Edit: it was a Sarens crane

Yes, the driver got out ok. Thanks for asking.