Oil level "high"

Franglais:

Simon:

Wheel Nut:
When you start a cold engine, that is the most dangerous part, it is one of the problems using easy start, the engine fires up before it has cranked enough oil around the bearings, easy start cleans the bores and creates a really hot explosion. I notice the guys on Bangers and Cash like their easy start a little too much. I too prefer a dip reading to a sensor which may be faulty.

I’m not sure of the reasons why, but diesels can become “addicted” to Easy Start, and other equivalents. Australia apparently has an equivalent with a particularly catchy name :smiley:
So, to prevent the addiction, it’s better to limit its use as much as possible.

If a current engine needs gas to start it, then it has a fault. If that fault isnt addressed then it will stay the same, or get worse. I dont think it`s an “addiction”, so much as a persisting or worsening underlying fault.

Assuming fuel supply is ok starting a diesel is mainly a function of compression pressure and cylinder temperature.A worn engine with low compression combined with cold temperatures soaking away what compression heat there is will obviously create more starting problems.While reliance on easy start will obviously wash and dilute oil off the bores increasing the problem of bore wear and thereby reducing compression pressures more.