Know your onions

GMP posted these pictures on twitter tonight that the straps on the truck were not designed to hold this load. They prohibited the driver and fined him. What is the correct way to secure this pallet?

Looks fine to me, but then again I’m not a money grabbing shyster working for the government

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If its not an XL rated trailer then the internals are out of the frame over 400kg.

Should have been further forward given the height of the pallet.

edit I may have put another strap around the back and through the bottom of the pallet if I could have been arsed

njl:
If its not an XL rated trailer then the internals are out of the frame over 400kg.

Should have been further forward given the height of the pallet.

Looks like a Rigid to me

GOG47:
Looks fine to me, but then again I’m not a money grabbing shyster working for the government

Where’s the like button

roughyed:
GMP posted these pictures on twitter tonight that the straps on the truck were not designed to hold this load. They prohibited the driver and fined him. What is the correct way to secure this pallet?

A brick net and a couple of chains wouldnt go amiss

187345244_10158165877711915_6823189333515602741_n.jpg

And it only took me three days. :sunglasses:

Suedehead:

roughyed:

A brick net and a couple of chains wouldnt go amiss

Couldn’t the onions have been transported individually?

Despite the…

Fact that it’s been on the road for 100 miles, possibly been transhipped a couple of times and in the last 20 years, it’s never gone over.
Nicking people for hypothetical pretend possibilities is just daft.

roughyed:

The driver should have asked the police who issued the fine. If the answer from the police was the inevitable “you’re the driver, you’re supposed to know” then the response to that should be “if you don’t know how it should be secured then why have you issued me with a ticket and prohibition?”

Personally for me it would have been split to two pallets,as there`s nothing against the top half to support it

personally i think there is not really a lot wrong with that support on two sides and intrenals over the other two for practical purposes its not going to move although given the chance maybe have it moved to the headboard
really same old thing of how do you strap down pallets of cereal crisps or pallets of drinks glasses

this problem with mixed loads. 1 full pallet, 1 half, a 3/4 one, a 1/4 next to it…pretty much impossible to secure and they want them loaded in a certain order because they’re for different customers. One of the reasons I hated multidrop.

ETS:
this problem with mixed loads. 1 full pallet, 1 half, a 3/4 one, a 1/4 next to it…pretty much impossible to secure and they want them loaded in a certain order because they’re for different customers. One of the reasons I hated multidrop.

Notimetoulouse:
personally i think there is not really a lot wrong with that support on two sides and intrenals over the other two for practical purposes its not going to move although given the chance maybe have it moved to the headboard
really same old thing of how do you strap down pallets of cereal crisps or pallets of drinks glasses

Yes and no.

njl:
If its not an XL rated then the internals are out of the frame over 400kg.

Absolutely on the right lines here.
Wrong vehicle being used for the load.

Box/Fridge/XL Taut would all be good, with a strap* around the back.

*Use a ratchet strap at that. We know it won`t be any better than the internal ones in this case, but it does take the opportunity away from the plods for issuing a ticket.

Edit to be clear (I hope)
If that pallet cannot be well secured in that vehicle: then don`t put that pallet in that vehicle.
Use a stronger plt, such as a box, that can be ratchet strapped, or use a more suitable vehicle.

The most slippery loads I recall were kitchen laminate worktops out of Kronospan, Chirk. They always moved.

Things I would be quoting to whoever wanted me to take that out in these days of gestapo checkpoints would be ‘‘load not suitable for transport’’ or ‘‘vehicle not suitable for load’’ if they insist I take it in the ‘‘not suitable for transport’’ category, then its having ratchet straps on and to hell with the damage they cause to the load.

This is the main reason why I went back on the tanks.

GOG47:

+1
The fact that the pallet was still upright after god knows how many miles, kinda makes a good argument that it IS in fact sufficient and secure. :bulb:
Also that should have been the reason for giving the driver a warning and telling him to re.strap it, rather than the usual ‘‘anything to raise cash’’ policy, but hey!, that would be too much like old style discretionary policing.
It would also have gone a long way towards the driver having more respect for the Police,.and trying to re.coup a bit of Police/public pr.
No ■■■■ wonder it is at an all time low with these present clowns in uniform, and how they carry out their work. :unamused:

The internal opposite the one down the side should have been looped around and tightened to tension both straps and stop side movement.
Also one fed under the back of the pallet coming out of the side, maybe not text book, but that’s how I would have done it anyhoo. :neutral_face:
Not really necessary but enough to appease and pacify these tossers. :unamused:
You need to be one step ahead of them these days to cover your arse and save your pocket.

Nothing wrong with it. It’s travelled to the point of interception without issue. Should an unplanned event, such as severe evasive action, occur the pallet might break up, but will still be confined within the load area. It’s then only a civil dispute between the consignor/consignee and the carrier, if damaged.