Lorry stuck

bristolpost.co.uk/news/bris … iE5A00S6L4

Ok how do you get out of this one :laughing:

shullbit:
Bristol traffic LIVE: Tesco lorry stuck in Bristol side street for nine hours... and counting - Bristol Live

Ok how do you get out of this one :laughing:

leave this industry, i have seen some dumb moves in my lifetime but this guy is dumber than dumber and he is dumb wtf

Easily done. On a diversion, take a wrong turn etc.

Apparently there was a car parked on the corner which stopped the corner being opened up enough to get round. The tow truck also struggled to get there due to parked vehicles.

toonsy:

Apparently there was a car parked on the corner which stopped the corner being opened up enough to get round. The tow truck also struggled to get there due to parked vehicles.

nah sorry not having that. he was even dumber than i thought for trying it with an added obstruction

streamable.com/mp2wl0

Video of the recovery, notice the car that parks in the space they clear :unamused: :laughing:

The worst part is, he’s not even CLOSE to making it so idk why he’d attempt it in the 1st place…Which is odd as there seems to be loads of room before the turn to either swing in or u-turn and gtfo. Also double yellows so there shouldn’t be any parked cars and if there were, stop and call police? I don’t know

Watched the video it’s not that much space certainly not enough for a u-turn. Still my own rule of thumb is never go down one of these residential streets with parked cars. Bad enough with a bin wagon (shorter and rear cams + 2 spotters) let alone a full size rigid or trailer of any length

welshmark:
Streamable Video

Video of the recovery, notice the car that parks in the space they clear :unamused: :laughing:

best bit was the car they put on the low loder then put in that small gap. thats 5 cars that arnt going to get out easily.

However i dont understand why he didnt reverse it out in the first place

Anyone with an ounce of sense would be able to see that the corner is not possible in that vehicle and should not have been attemped in the first place.
How did that driver pass a test. Oh yeah…luck. :laughing:

Nightmare. Picton Street is bad enough but he still must have been tempted to try that route in the hope that it might get better. Usually though, it seems unknown roads seem to get worse once you’re on them: short cuts make long delays (a Tolkien quote for you there). With some of those roads round Montpelier, driving even the smallest truck can be a stressful experience IME. At least no damage/injuries seem to have occurred, apart obviously from costs incurred by Tesco and to his career.

cooper1203:

welshmark:
Streamable Video

best bit was the car they put on the low loder then put in that small gap. thats 5 cars that arnt going to get out easily.

He couldn’t reverse out because his drive wheels were spinning even with the tow wagon pulling him.

peterm:

cooper1203:

welshmark:
Streamable Video

He couldn’t reverse out because his drive wheels were spinning even with the tow wagon pulling him.

He didn’t bother lifting his mid lift though [emoji136]

I think the tow was pulling sideways, not backwards.

It sounds a nightmare,but I think its a bit unfair to criticise the driver,we all make mistakes,dont we…

Well how did he get there? Having had a look at the map and Google Street View I guess that he was supposed to deliver to the Tesco Express on A38 Cheltenham rd; which is just round the corner from the Picton Street mentioned. The usual situation with these high street Tesco shops is that they are well aware that the vehicle is only about 15 minutes away but many do absolutely nothing to ensure that there is room for it to park outside - a customer might be put off and go elsewhere affecting their sales figures. Lorry arrives, blocking the road and gets the normal lack of interest about the need to park, so has to go around the block. This is when things can start to go wrong since there is no advice about how to do repeated 180s.

If this driver had approached from the North the nearest roundabout ahead of him is not very far, but the one behind him is a long way back. After a circuit or two with still no parking, he may have decided or been directed, to turn onto B4051 Ashley rd and then messed up by turning into Picton rd instead of keeping going for the available roundabouts ahead of him.

toonsy:

Taking a wrong turn and getting in a pickle - easily done I agree. But come on :laughing: :laughing:

Anyone with an ounce of common sense would have realised they were in a pickle and have stopped before attempting that turn surely!

Sploom:
It sounds a nightmare,but I think its a bit unfair to criticise the driver,we all make mistakes,dont we…

Correct, difference being if you’re a lorry driver it’s usually on show and everyone gets a good giggle and to insult the inept driver. Extra points if your the type that struggles park your car in between 2 other parked cars and you get to insult the driver.

Sue in the office puts the wrong number in a spreadsheet that costs her company money doesn’t tend to be banded around the Internet,

Shut happens, no one hurt, get over it

I think I could of got the truck out of there without hitting the wall or house.

Heck if he wanted to he could of moved it back a touch decouple and go round the other way to recouple.

I am kind of confused why he took the turn so tight though. Seems he had space for a large swing.

The pictures suggest that he is/was a full timer from Avonmouth rather than agency.

bristolpost.co.uk/news/bris … ay-7073532

He may be a newly passed driver, wharehouse to wheels etc. we have been having quite a few mishaps at the place I work with new drivers. Give the guy a break, I bet we have all messed up at some point.

adam277:
I think I could of got the truck out of there without hitting the wall or house.

Heck if he wanted to he could of moved it back a touch decouple and go round the other way to recouple.

I am kind of confused why he took the turn so tight though. Seems he had space for a large swing.

There was “apparently” cars parked on the double yellow so he couldn’t pull left to swing right. *

Just some further info, the tow truck got stuck too because of parked cars and so did a low loader who got stuck after clearing a space because… a car parked in the space he’d just cleared and blocked everything in. *

None of the cars got a ticket of any description.

*Source - I was at that depot this morning and was chatting to a chargehand about it.

Ok the driver made a mistake, possibly avoidable in his part but I don’t know the full circumstances. Diversion, he got lost, missed his turn, obstacle in the road, illegally parked cars. You get my drift….

This just goes to show how the infrastructure in this country with large vehicles isn’t good enough;

Lack of toilets, rest areas.
Badly designed roads
Poor road conditions
Badly positioned street furniture, such as bollards, bells on street corners, overhanging obstacles.
Drivers who park / stop where they want with no consideration for large vehicles. And they get away with it without so much as a ticket or police warning.

But sod all will ever change because no one really gives a toss enough to really change how large goods vehicles operate in this country, to actually make life any easier for lorry drivers.

We’re talking about a country here, where lorry drivers can get refused to use a toilet. I mean how we are all human beings aren’t we, isn’t that a basic human right?

And yet the industry want to attract more young blood into the industry, including women…