Lorry stuck

driver has been driving rigids for a while only been driving artic’s for a week. he didn’t hit anything just panicked and that area is bad to get through with small 7/5t.

RogerOut:
Ok the driver made a mistake, possibly avoidable in his part but I don’t know the full circumstances. Diversion, he got lost, missed his turn, obstacle in the road, illegally parked cars. You get my drift….

This just goes to show how the infrastructure in this country with large vehicles isn’t good enough;

Lack of toilets, rest areas.
Badly designed roads
Poor road conditions
Badly positioned street furniture, such as bollards, bells on street corners, overhanging obstacles.
Drivers who park / stop where they want with no consideration for large vehicles. And they get away with it without so much as a ticket or police warning.

But sod all will ever change because no one really gives a toss enough to really change how large goods vehicles operate in this country, to actually make life any easier for lorry drivers.

We’re talking about a country here, where lorry drivers can get refused to use a toilet. I mean how we are all human beings aren’t we, isn’t that a basic human right?

And yet the industry want to attract more young blood into the industry, including women…

You forgot the most important thing, A proper driving test that is not so basic and that can be passed by any dipstick. That would sort out many problems.
Then there really would be a driver shortage. :laughing:

So many pious people here :unamused:

End of the day he dropped a clanger, appears to be new at it, will learn from this I’m sure. No damage aside from a bruised ego.

I passed my test years ago. You know… in “the good old days” when you had to do gear changes, split boxes and so on. I fail to recall any such thing on any driving test from car to bus, bus with trailer, rigid or artic - all of which ive passed - that would put any candidate in this situation.

Hey look heres a picture of me dropping a clanger after 17 years (at the time) driving. Obviously I should have conducted a full geological survey first to avoid some people being knows on the Internet about it all :unamused:

Edit: Sorry the picture is the wrong way. I’ll hang my head in shame at not knowing how to turn it the right way because obviously everyone should know everything about everything :unamused:

Edit #2: If you click the image it shows the right orientation.

haha u messed up.
I dont mess up cause im driving god.

adam277:
haha u messed up.
I dont mess up cause im driving god.

I think you’ll find 99.9% of posters on this forum have never ever messed up. Ever.

toonsy:
So many pious people here :unamused:

End of the day he dropped a clanger, appears to be new at it, will learn from this I’m sure. No damage aside from a bruised ego.

I passed my test years ago. You know… in “the good old days” when you had to do gear changes, split boxes and so on. I fail to recall any such thing on any driving test from car to bus, bus with trailer, rigid or artic - all of which ive passed - that would put any candidate in this situation.

Hey look heres a picture of me dropping a clanger after 17 years (at the time) driving. Obviously I should have conducted a full geological survey first to avoid some people being knows on the Internet about it all :unamused:

Edit: Sorry the picture is the wrong way. I’ll hang my head in shame at not knowing how to turn it the right way because obviously everyone should know everything about everything :unamused:

Edit #2: If you click the image it shows the right orientation.

Pfffft thats a daily occurrence to those of us who deliver to building sites! Must try harder!

What about power steering? :laughing:

Exactly you have hit the nail on the head. Test routes too easy and far too short however any driver that can’t decide whether that wagon could negotiate a corner like that should never have passed a test and probably should try a different job. That’s not inexperience, that’s just pathetic.

Some humans will never make a decent driver as we see on our roads everyday. They need to be weeded out before they hit the road and everything else. :wink:

buf:
driver has been driving rigids for a while only been driving artic’s for a week. he didn’t hit anything just panicked and that area is bad to get through with small 7/5t.

That explains alot then. in the video i saw at the end it looks like someone in a tesco uniform guiding the driver back. couldnt work out where they had come from.

ifeel for the guy. apparently new to class 1. trying to make a store delivery having to deal with the usual issues of no where to stop outside the store due to cars in the delivery bay or access to it etc. tried to go around the block but due to diverstions/road closures ended up in residential streets.

Quite lightly once he got in he didnt feel confident enough to reverse out with parked cars around and at that time of the morning probably alot of people walking around going to work or school so no choce other than to crack on or stop and block the road.

adam277:
I think I could of got the truck out of there without hitting the wall or house.

Heck if he wanted to he could of moved it back a touch decouple and go round the other way to recouple.

I am kind of confused why he took the turn so tight though. Seems he had space for a large swing.

Not sure on the type of trailer involved, but some urban rear steer trailers have a steering block behind the king pin and can only be coupled in a straight line. So uncoupling and re coupling from the other side wouldn’t have been an option.

Sixties boy:

adam277:
I think I could of got the truck out of there without hitting the wall or house.

Heck if he wanted to he could of moved it back a touch decouple and go round the other way to recouple.

I am kind of confused why he took the turn so tight though. Seems he had space for a large swing.

Not sure on the type of trailer involved, but some urban rear steer trailers have a steering block behind the king pin and can only be coupled in a straight line. So uncoupling and re coupling from the other side wouldn’t have been an option.

Pretty sure that’s not one

It doesn’t help that Tesco have a thing about converting old pubs into stores ,notts had loads , my old haunt in Grantham ( cherry tree ) pub has been a Tesco express for a fair few years , chaos , we’ve had complaints in local rag of grass verges being torn up , lorries stuck in the estate etc etc
It was designed for a few cars to park in the car park , they’ve still got the cars ( shoppers ) + a artic trying to get in & out of the car park , with cars parked out on the road it’s a nightmare ( I’ve delivered there , know the area ) but unless your there 6/7 am if I remember right your in trouble , if you were new , didn’t know the area , couldn’t turn right out of store , decided to go left you’ve had it
We even suggested they use the old pub garden ( last I seen it was over grown ) as the exit , straight onto harrowby lane , last I did it nothing had happened
I remember doing under the Victoria centre in notts , a maze the first time you did it , i watched a Tesco driver who went to turn then had 2 nd thoughts but was to late , what a ■■■■■■■ nightmare to sort the kid out , it wasn’t his fault the first time I went in there it’s like a ZB maze under there , posts every bloody where ,

dozy:
We even suggested they use the old pub garden ( last I seen it was over grown ) as the exit , straight onto harrowby lane , last I did it nothing had happened

THat is probably because they would need to spend some £.

Managment is very keen on harassing drivers over how things are done, but when they need to spend money it is not si important to make improvments.

Co-op basically made it there mission to buy old pubs and churches and convert them into shops lol.

Dozy is spot on with this, all the time the delivery can be done to these Express shops at around 6 or 7 am everyone copes. But reality is that 30 % of the time delays at the RDC mean that the lorry is late, sometimes very late, and the access to the shop is blocked by parked cars. I’ve had a stand off for a couple of hours with a shop over this in the past; parking where safe a hundred yards away. I even phoned the RDC to ask them in advance to warn the shop that space needed to be cleared - nothing happened.

cav551:
Dozy is spot on with this, all the time the delivery can be done to these Express shops at around 6 or 7 am everyone copes. But reality is that 30 % of the time delays at the RDC mean that the lorry is late, sometimes very late, and the access to the shop is blocked by parked cars. I’ve had a stand off for a couple of hours with a shop over this in the past; parking where safe a hundred yards away. I even phoned the RDC to ask them in advance to warn the shop that space needed to be cleared - nothing happened.

least they didnt deliberatly block you in for an hour