I like the high diesel price

It should weed out all those racer boys in trucks and the companies who employ them and used to not care about fuel efficiency. Just because you can force the truck to go 0-50mph from one traffic light or roundabout to the next (dist. <1 mi) doesn’t mean you should.

ETS:
It should weed out all those racer boys in trucks and the companies who employ them and used to not care about fuel efficiency. Just because you can force the truck to go 0-50mph from one traffic light or roundabout to the next (dist. <1 mi) doesn’t mean you should.

Talk about talking drivel, if some one races around in a truck then they don’t give 2 hoots about the cost of the fuel going in to it. Secondly the prices most hauliers pay for fuel is way less than the pump price you or I pay. So 0 out of 10 for effort.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

I have been driving a while now.

I have never once given a crap about fuel economy lol.

Anything that keeps the riff-raff out of the way of my limousine has to be a good thing, and my chauffeur agrees. :stuck_out_tongue:

I dont, Had the diesel fairy visit last night. Luckily I hadnt filled up and only had about 100L in there and was a stones throw from a fuel station. The high prices will make this a lot more common than it already is :imp:

In April fuel thefts might go down as plant and machinery will be running on white diesel.

It’ll be easier to nick it from sites and unattended machines.

8wheels:
In April fuel thefts might go down as plant and machinery will be running on white diesel.

It’ll be easier to nick it from sites and unattended machines.

This ^^^^^

8wheels:

Or fuel thefts might go up as plant and machinery operators look for cheaper diesel.

Harry Monk:

8wheels:

Or fuel thefts might go up as plant and machinery operators look for cheaper diesel.

Fridge trailers will be an easy target for fuel.

ETS:

I guess you will reach ecstasy then when you realise that the cost of everything transported on the back of a diesel burning vehicle will also go up, but your wage will remain the same. Better use the narrow boats, burning great british coal, all over those canals again.

osark:

ETS:

I guess you will reach ecstasy then when you realise that the cost of everything transported on the back of a diesel burning vehicle will also go up, but your wage will remain the same. Better use the narrow boats, burning great british coal, all over those canals again.

You’re right, I worded it incorrectly. I should’ve said ‘‘I like this one side effect of the high diesel price’’

Now that I think about it, another beneficial side effect might be it could help to accelerate the adoption/development of e-trucks

simcor:

ETS:

Talk about talking drivel, if some one races around in a truck then they don’t give 2 hoots about the cost of the fuel going in to it. Secondly the prices most hauliers pay for fuel is way less than the pump price you or I pay. So 0 out of 10 for effort.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

You’d think so wouldn’t you?

Pop over to the owner driver section and look at the top ‘fuel price’ sticky thread.

I can buy fuel cheaper at Asda, Sainsbury and Costco than the cheapest bunkered fuel price which requires buying hundreds of litres up front.

Fuel is the single biggest cost.

Owners will be watching mpg and work very closely going forward.

adam277:
I have been driving a while now.

I have never once given a crap about fuel economy lol.

^ I went by that doctrine from the time I started driving.
Running older used cars maintenance costs outweigh fuel and bigger more powerful generally means less stressed and stronger major components.
But there is a point where the fuel costs v income equation gets silly prohibitive.
At which point around the 2 litre mark and reducing usage is a reasonable compromise.
Although I’ve still got the 6 litre classic in garage on Sorn for special summer use as and when I feel like spending a few bob. Which will mean around 200 quid to fill it’s two tanks at these prices and that will get it around 250 miles up the road.So around 2 grand in fuel for a decent continental road trip.Why was I born too zb late.
While I generally tried to keep the bosses’ fuel figures as reasonable as possible on the basis that my wages were dependent on what the truck earn’t and what went out of the exhaust was lost cash in that regard.

According to Commercial Fleet today due to the high diesel prices around a third of haulage companies are at risk of imminent collapse coupled with high wage rises :open_mouth: commercialfleet.org/news/la … costs-rise

lancpudn:
According to Commercial Fleet today due to the high diesel prices around a third of haulage companies are at risk of imminent collapse coupled with high wage rises :open_mouth: commercialfleet.org/news/la … costs-rise

I’m guessing that if a third of haulage companies do collapse, their customers will still need their goods to be moved and will just have to pay the rates that surviving hauliers charge and/or new players will enter the industry charging higher rates.

It’s a bit of a red herring to blame wage rises for drivers for the situation IMO, wages are still well below the level they would be at had we not had the influx of eastern European drivers in the mid-2000s and resultant wage stagnation. If wages are rising then that’s due to an imbalance in the driver supply and demand equation and higher wages are exactly what is required to even this equation out.

Harry Monk:

lancpudn:

I’m guessing that if a third of haulage companies do collapse, their customers will still need their goods to be moved and will just have to pay the rates that surviving hauliers charge and/or new players will enter the industry charging higher rates.

It’s a bit of a red herring to blame wage rises for drivers for the situation IMO, wages are still well below the level they would be at had we not had the influx of eastern European drivers in the mid-2000s and resultant wage stagnation. If wages are rising then that’s due to an imbalance in the driver supply and demand equation and higher wages are exactly what is required to even this equation out.

What they are actually confirming is what I’ve always said.They want to use wage reductions to offset extornionate road fuel taxation costs including ’ carbon taxes’.
The fact is road fuel tax is a tax on drivers’ wages.The rail unions wouldn’t stand for it so why should truck drivers.

Carryfast:
What they are actually confirming is what I’ve always said.They want to use wage reductions to offset extornionate road fuel taxation costs including ’ carbon taxes’.
The fact is road fuel tax is a tax on drivers’ wages.The rail unions wouldn’t stand for it so why should truck drivers.

The fact that the article quite clearly states that both fuel costs and drivers’ wages are rising simultaneously rather suggests that increases in the former do not lead to decreases in the latter. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Doesn’t bother me tbh it just costs me the same.
I only ever put 20 quid’s worth in the car every time, so nothing’s changed :wink: :laughing:

Carryfast:

Harry Monk:

lancpudn:

Can you imagine the Brouhaha there’s going to be in three years time when new heavy duty vehicles come under the 2025 Euro 7 CO2 emission standards coupled with high diesel prices?
The EU ‘Fit for 55’ which encompasses all these emission standards has gone back to the drawing board and is going through the European parliament at this very minute, the verdict is expected within the next few weeks. They want the 55% limit strengthened to 75% :open_mouth: in order for emission limits from HGV’s to fall by 4.2 million tonnes by 2050 & end the reliance on Russian oil.

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:

The fact that the article quite clearly states that both fuel costs and drivers’ wages are rising simultaneously rather suggests that increases in the former do not lead to decreases in the latter. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

The bleedin blindingly obvious inference and intent of the article, then being that operators need wage cost reductions to offset the increasing price of road fuel.
Because, in equally blindingly obvious contradiction to the unbelievable views of many drivers, customers can’t/won’t pay infinite road fuel cost surcharges.
Which means trucks taken off the road and drivers jobs gone.