Job Advert.

I doubt they would get many applicants.
Taken from the video below.

youtube.com/watch?v=5vEY2EpSthY

Very self pitying.
If truck work was that bad we would all be in the office.
Thing is the most of us here could not / would not want to work in a office.

adam277:
Very self pitying.

I think you are missing the point if someone who had dreamed of working in an office read that advert would they go for the interview or run a mile.

I have had my eyes opened in the short time i have been reading the forum some of the stuff i have read about long hours and working conditions (facilities) is unbelievable.

If you had been told you were going to be looked down on, paid peanuts in comparison to other skilled jobs have to go to toilets that look something like the one out of the film trainspotting, do 15 hour days (and all the other stuff drivers have mentioned in the shortage threads) would you have still applied?

adam277:
Very self pitying.

Are you a polisher or Yorkie fanatic?

All in that ad is true. Very few members if the public have a clue what hours drivers work.

Office workers have a fit if they have to work 8 hours a day,.let alone 15…

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Truckulent:

adam277:
Very self pitying.

All in that ad is true. Very few members if the public have a clue what hours drivers work.

I do not get the polisher or yorkie reference maybe you can explain that to me?
Yep, that’s all true. Let me just check for local office jobs in my area.
:Edit found one. You guys should apply straight away.

I am sure he is a polisher.

Bin Man:

adam277:
Very self pitying.

I think you are missing the point if someone who had dreamed of working in an office read that advert would they go for the interview or run a mile.

I have had my eyes opened in the short time i have been reading the forum some of the stuff i have read about long hours and working conditions (facilities) is unbelievable.

If you had been told you were going to be looked down on, paid peanuts in comparison to other skilled jobs have to go to toilets that look something like the one out of the film trainspotting, do 15 hour days (and all the other stuff drivers have mentioned in the shortage threads) would you have still applied?

The biggest problem Truckers have is themselves.
A lot of them are far too loyal to one firm and will not leave no matter how much they get ■■■■ on. The pay is only bad if you accept being paid ■■■■ poor money. I’m leaving Tesco full time after only 6 weeks because I can find better paying work elsewhere. Whereas you have full timers at Tesco who have been there for like 20+ years who have no doubt been complaining for 20+ about the pay and talking about how they will leave but never do.
Heck, look at Switchlogic and Carryfast. Switch literally hops from company to company either going for the best type of work or best money whereas Carryfast basically spent the best part of his years acting as a lorry unloader complaining like hell but never leaving when he should of straight away.
There are far too many HGV drivers who like to ■■■■■ and moan but are unwilling to bite the bullet and look for a better gig elsewhere.

adam277:

Bin Man:

adam277:
Very self pitying.

A lot of them are far too loyal to one firm and will not leave no matter how much they get [zb] on. The pay is only bad if you accept being paid ■■■■ poor money. I’m leaving Tesco full time after only 6 weeks because I can find better paying work elsewhere. Whereas you have full timers at Tesco who have been there for like 20+ years who have no doubt been complaining for 20+ about the pay and talking about how they will leave but never do.
Heck, look at Switchlogic and Carryfast. Switch literally hops from company to company either going for the best type of work or best money whereas Carryfast basically spent the best part of his years acting as a lorry unloader complaining like hell but never leaving when he should of straight away.
There are far too many HGV drivers who like to ■■■■■ and moan but are unwilling to bite the bullet and look for a better gig elsewhere.

Doesnt matter where you work. You can change the money.

But not the hours.

Show me a class 1 truck driving job that starts at 0930 and guarantees you’ll be pulling your card at 1800 hours 5 days a week.

See what we mean now? There aren’t any, nor in class 2 come to that, with the possible exception of skips and bins.

adam277:

Truckulent:

adam277:
Very self pitying.

The fact you dont get the references tells all!

Truckulent:

adam277:

Truckulent:

adam277:
Very self pitying.

The fact you dont get the references tells all!

Explain them to me goddamit!!123293192 :stuck_out_tongue:

Truckulent:

adam277:

Bin Man:

adam277:
Very self pitying.

A lot of them are far too loyal to one firm and will not leave no matter how much they get [zb] on. The pay is only bad if you accept being paid ■■■■ poor money. I’m leaving Tesco full time after only 6 weeks because I can find better paying work elsewhere. Whereas you have full timers at Tesco who have been there for like 20+ years who have no doubt been complaining for 20+ about the pay and talking about how they will leave but never do.

Doesnt matter where you work. You can change the money.

But not the hours.

Show me a class 1 truck driving job that starts at 0930 and guarantees you’ll be pulling your card at 1800 hours 5 days a week.

See what we mean now? There aren’t any, nor in class 2 come to that, with the possible exception of skips and bins.

Some parcel work you can do like 7-5 sometimes less depends how quick you are.
And as you said skips and bin man work. The hours is just the nature of the job.

Truckulent:

That’s 8.5 hrs x 5 days = 42.5hrs.

I work an average of 42 hours per calendar week working 4 on 4 off and never work extra shifts. Anybody working that shift pattern would be the same, of which there are thousands, if not tens of thousands.

ezydriver:

Truckulent:

I work an average of 42 hours per calendar week working 4 on 4 off and never work extra shifts. Anybody working that shift pattern would be the same, of which there are thousands, if not tens of thousands.

I also know quite a few Tesco supermarket drivers who only do 9 hours a day. Which works out to be 42.5 a week after breaks are deducted. They basically refuse to do overtime. So once they are back from their first run they sit in canteen or office counting down the hours until they can go home doing ■■■■ all.
How does this work? Well, lets say their run takes 6 hours. the office has to give them a job that only lasts 3 hours max. But with vehicle checks etc its very rare that there is a 3 hour run they can do in time.

Most drivers dont do this to be fair but a few do.

adam277:

ezydriver:

Truckulent:

I also know quite a few Tesco supermarket drivers who only do 9 hours a day. Which works out to be 42.5 a week after breaks are deducted. They basically refuse to do overtime. So once they are back from their first run they sit in canteen or office counting down the hours until they can go home doing [zb] all.
How does this work? Well, lets say their run takes 6 hours. the office has to give them a job that only lasts 3 hours max. But with vehicle checks etc its very rare that there is a 3 hour run they can do in time.

Didn’t they do their checks before their first run?

ezydriver:

adam277:

ezydriver:

Truckulent:

I also know quite a few Tesco supermarket drivers who only do 9 hours a day. Which works out to be 42.5 a week after breaks are deducted. They basically refuse to do overtime. So once they are back from their first run they sit in canteen or office counting down the hours until they can go home doing [zb] all.

Didn’t they do their checks before their first run?

Sometimes they stay in the same truck.
But if you start your first shift in a rigid your not going to be in it for the 2nd run as it will need reloading.
Or if you start the shift in a 4x2 and the only runs they have that are under three hours require a 6x2 or a rigid.
And sometimes you start your shift in a 6x2 but the only runs under say 3 hours require a 4x2 as you cant hook up a 8m trailer to a 6x2 for whatever reason.

The pay is only bad if you accept being paid ■■■■ poor money. I’m leaving Tesco full time after only 6 weeks because I can find better paying work elsewhere.

But it’s not just the money you conveniently forgot all the other points drivers often mentioned, this is from my OP -

Bin Man:

The pay is only bad if you accept being paid ■■■■ poor money. I’m leaving Tesco full time after only 6 weeks because I can find better paying work elsewhere.

But it’s not just the money you conveniently forgot all the other points drivers often mentioned, this is from my OP -

You’ve fallen into the trap of listening to all the moaners on here who hate their life and their job but won’t do anything to change them. Far be it for me to agree with Adam on anything, but in this instance he’s right when he said there’s work and hours out there in haulage to suit everyone. His supermarket work is one such example of sensible hours and as you’ll know yourself, working for a LA is typically less than 9 hours or even job and knock - certainly was the latter when I used to do the bins a long time ago.

Even for the jobs with longer hours, nobody is saying you have to work 5 or 6 days a week. There are 4 on 4 off shifts and variants thereof, plus a whole other world of options if you venture down the agency road where you dictate the terms of engagement.

The way most of them go on on here, you’d think they were being tortured in Gitmo with someone holding a gun to their head :unamused: . The job is a piece of ■■■■ and I’m still waiting for all the life-long bitter moaners to show me where else I can be earning £20/hr for sitting on my arse, doing clean work. not breaking a sweat and have the view out of my office window change every few seconds without requiring additional academic qualifications. The job is what you make it - tread your own path.

ezydriver:

Truckulent:

But office workers dont do 42.5 hrs. They do 37.5hrs.

Care to tell us who that is working for? And that you always finish at exactly the same time? Never any traffic? Delays? Queuning vehicles etc.?

Doesn’t sound like any transport set up I’ve ever come across.

Working an “average of” is ■■■■■■■■. You can be at work 60 hours a week - but still not “average” 42 hours of actual work. Break, POA etc also helps with this.

adam277:

ezydriver:

Truckulent:

Any HGV job where you sit in the office for several hours counting down the hours to going home ain’t gonna last.

No company can afford to pay staff to sit around doing nothing. They’ll be the first out of the door.

Bin Man:

adam277:
Very self pitying.

If you hate driving or the conditions leave instead of sounding like a self pitying child. If your lifes all negative make a change or don’t and be unhappy. It’s pathetic really

Stop crying, and grow up.
Feel hard dine by, flower? Boohoo. The only drivers I know who cry how hard this job is, and how bad they are treated, and how pitifully they are paid, are those who have never done anything else. I’m not going to trot out the list I have trotted out before, but try working in a shop or other public facing job. Try working in an office, with ever increasing work levels and shortening deadlines, with your manager sitting in the same office, watching you, and asking every 30 minutes if this or that is ready yet. ( You can’t put down the phone, ca him a c××t, and keep looking out of the window… )
Try shelfstacking. Nobody is stopping you from starting for your local Aldi or Sainsbugsco as they are all crying out. Go on, I date you. You wouldn’t last a week.
Try being self employed, (really self employed… :sunglasses: ). Try working in a factory… (you wouldn’t last a week). Try working at amazon or another warehouse (now hiring near you, no excuse) (you wouldn’t last a week…)

Stop whinging… are we paid enough? The market decides that, not us, not the boss. Are facilities on the road inadequate? Yes, but there are ways around that. If you don’t like your job, leave. Please do, it ups the rates for those of us that stay… If you want more money or better conditions, organise and ask for it.